Ryan’s 150G DD Marineland Build

R-3

1 hour ago, Ron Popeil said:

im telling you, the quiet drives are not just quieter than the originals....THEY ARE SILENT. 

im running the simplicity DC1600 

Thanks for the info. I’m definetly looking at the simplicity pumps

2 hours ago, Ron Popeil said:

im running the simplicity DC1600 

How far do you have it turned down?? I’m deciding between the 1600 and 2100? I do split off the return to pump to my refugium. Might do a small manifold to in the future.

i have my pump at full power right now, i dont think a bigger pump is necessary. if you do plan on running a herbie style overflow, i think a manifold off the main pump may cause drain issues from what i remember reading. just so far as you may see fluctuations in your over flow water level....which then affects the quietness of the system. 

Update-

Well my tank is cycling...ugghhh. Been probably 8 years since I had to cycle a tank. This time went with base rock and it’s been a lot different. I’m afraid I might now have some sort of bacterial infection possibly. Maybe it’s just a normal cycle but  I’ve never had my water so cloudy. I just put purigen in the tank so that should help. What does everyone do these days?

image.jpg

UPDATE-

To deal with the bloom I added a little Seachem Clarity along with the Purigen and man I’m impressed with it. Water isn’t sparkling yet but looking reall good. Skimmate is dark and the socks are the socks needed changed daily with that stuff in the system. 

I upgraded a couple of my pumps too. I got a IceCap Gyre 3k! Silent and pushes some serious water. I Haven’t even played with all the modes but this thing is sweet. I love the motion that  it creates within the tank. I have it sitting horizontally in the middle back of the tank. May add one on the right side vertically. But this one is doing the job for now.

Also upgraded my “not so silent” Sicce Syncra 4.0 to a Jebao 6500 DCP Sine Wave pump. I know it’s a Jebao but this is the newest version and  it is dead silent.  I have it about 50% for now. I have to touch it to make sure it’s running. Hopefully it holds up overtime with regular cleanings. 

I have also decided I’m going to probably go with a 6 to 8 bulb T5 set up.  I threw my four footer on today just to see and I just love the colors you get out of T5‘s. I possibly will accent it with one or two ReefBrite LED  strips. 

also take a pic of my elephant ear green mushroom I got and trade recently. Lights just turned on so it’s a little shriveled up but it’s a sweet piece. I had it in a high flow area and I don’t think it liked that too much. Are we going to move it and In a lighter flow area. 

7FA4AFF4-0496-4C49-8AD4-F32349B54DA1.jpeg

8AC23A9E-47C0-4F55-934C-800E25711D23.jpeg

• Like 1

i think youll be much happier in the long run with T5 rather than LEDs. 

im running an 8 lamp ATI Power module. im not doing any of the fancy lamp dimming it can do, just on/off T5s and letting the LEDs handle the actinic and dawn/dusk. 

while i wish i would have gone with 10 lamp fixture, im very happy with the 8 lamp. im not sure what type of reef youre planning on creating, but if youre going mostly SPS, id suggest you go with 8 lamps for the best coverage. 

14 minutes ago, Ron Popeil said:

i think youll be much happier in the long run with T5 rather than LEDs. 

im running an 8 lamp ATI Power module. im not doing any of the fancy lamp dimming it can do, just on/off T5s and letting the LEDs handle the actinic and dawn/dusk. 

while i wish i would have gone with 10 lamp fixture, im very happy with the 8 lamp. im not sure what type of reef youre planning on creating, but if youre going mostly SPS, id suggest you go with 8 lamps for the best coverage. 

Yeah I wanna go 8 if I can get one. Just love the color and I always had great success with growth. Im mainly gonna so with LPS, softies, zoas, and a couple sps. 

I told you that clarity would knock out almost any water born particle. Other products do not work on bacteria but Seachems does. I use it when doing tank transfers for some of my accounts. Generally it does the trick overnight and all you have to do is change the sock or filters. I imagine you have not gotten your other wave of diatoms yet? As Roy mentioned, when you got it all squared away give me a shout out and I will throw you some frags yeah. All that porous rock will be perfect to slide in some nice corals. Digging everything I am seeing so far man, keep the build thread coming, it's lookin good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

I told you that clarity would knock out almost any water born particle. Other products do not work on bacteria but Seachems does. I use it when doing tank transfers for some of my accounts. Generally it does the trick overnight and all you have to do is change the sock or filters. I imagine you have not gotten your other wave of diatoms yet? As Roy mentioned, when you got it all squared away give me a shout out and I will throw you some frags yeah. All that porous rock will be perfect to slide in some nice corals. Digging everything I am seeing so far man, keep the build thread coming, it's lookin good.

Yeah it worked good, thanks again! It’s been a fun build so far definitely. 

• 1 month later...

No real big updates guys. Kinda been slacking. I added a couple acans,  neon green toadstool,  hammer and a yellow eye Kole. Everyone seems happy and look good. Just ordered one of these for my RODI. Amazon had a damaged box one for $76. 

Image result for AquaticLife Smart Buddie Booster Pump - 50 to 100 GPD RO Systems

That brings me to the next part. Im already upgrading lol. Gonna setup and Red Sea Peninsula 650. This has always been a tank I loved and couldn't pass it up. With that said I will be selling this tank! If anyone is interested i will be selling the tank, stand and canopy. Tank is in great shape! Possibly a pair of ocean revives, the trigger ruby elite 30 and some other misc stuff. Stay tuned for the next upgrade

• Like 1