Ryan’s 150G DD Marineland Build

R-3

34 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i wouldnt add anymore but that is just me.

The fastest way to make a big tank look smaller is to put a ton of rock in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You got a point. Im just worried about filling out the upper areas. I guess thats what big colonies are for!

26 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Then you just get a bigger tank and start the process over again right? 

Looking good Ryan!

Nahhh I'm good on the new tank. I like this one so far lol

in terms of filling the top areas... ypu should google aquascapes or sps aquascapes or whatever and try to get an idea of what you want it to look like when mature. i really like the look of open water, i think all that empty negative space makes for a dramatic tank.

yeah, you cant put every single cool coral you find into the tank but i suppose that is the trade off.

here are a few of my fav scapes.. i really like that open look. especially on a deep tank..221677d81bd028d88f018ee52efaf8fe.jpgf9114b75482d50e3c8702fff6edd75c1.jpgb38911fb8053663a04101d3e7ba1428c.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paratore said:

Highly recommend the Flipper magnet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

+1 on the flipper. they work REALLY well.

Do you guys think I should go with the standard that is up to 1/2" or the max that is 5/8" to 1"? My tank is 1/2" glass. Didn't know how close the ratings were to real life :)

21 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

in terms of filling the top areas... ypu should google aquascapes or sps aquascapes or whatever and try to get an idea of what you want it to look like when mature. i really like the look of open water, i think all that empty negative space makes for a dramatic tank.

yeah, you cant put every single cool coral you find into the tank but i suppose that is the trade off.

here are a few of my fav scapes.. i really like that open look. especially on a deep tank..221677d81bd028d88f018ee52efaf8fe.jpgf9114b75482d50e3c8702fff6edd75c1.jpgb38911fb8053663a04101d3e7ba1428c.jpg

Those are all nice tanks! Been awhile since I scaped a tank so I'm sure im not done totally. 

48 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i would go with the biggest flipper. reason being, the magnet is stronger so you have to scrub less..

it has a really cool design. when you use the blade side it rides on these little bumps so it doesnt trap sand. i use the blade to slowly plow the sand away from the front edge

+1 always get the strongest one, easier to keep on the glass and the more force it uses when scrubbing coraline.

• Like 1

hi ryan! i also have the marineland 150DD and i absolutely love it. although, now i secretly wish i would have gone with the 300DD! I like your open rockwork too. like you, im a fan of a few big rocks to set up the structure, and leave lots of empty space. here is my tank when i set it up last year (using rocks i bought at waves back in like...2007!)

CikQkBS.jpg

and here it is this year....way too filled with SPS

KLc4qFf.jpg

Edited by Ron Popeil
  • Like 3

hi ryan! i also have the marineland 150DD and i absolutely love it. although, now i secretly wish i would have gone with the 300DD! I like your open rockwork too. like you, im a fan of a few big rocks to set up the structure, and leave lots of empty space. here is my tank when i set it up last year (using rocks i bought at waves back in like...2007!)
CikQkBS.jpg
KLc4qFf.jpg

Jordan! How the heck are you doing? Are you back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ron Popeil said:

CikQkBS.jpg

KLc4qFf.jpg

Tanks looks great!  Looks like you have had a very successful year of reef keeping - gives Ryan something to shoot for 😁

21 hours ago, R-3 said:

Do you guys think I should go with the standard that is up to 1/2" or the max that is 5/8" to 1"? My tank is 1/2" glass. Didn't know how close the ratings were to real life :)

Those are all nice tanks! Been awhile since I scaped a tank so I'm sure im not done totally. 

Your favorite Scapes use the 5/3 rule, there was actually an article describing the entire theory in Jun-Aug issue of Coral Magazine this year.  I was thinking about getting as close to it as possible with my new build.

21 hours ago, Ron Popeil said:

CikQkBS.jpg

KLc4qFf.jpg

Wow! Blast from the past! Great to hear from you Jordan. Tank looks awesome 👏 

Crazy that you still had some rock from back in the day. 

Yeah I’m pretty stoked I found one of these tanks. Such a sweet dimension. I might pick your brain soon on a couple things

20 hours ago, Ron Popeil said:

hello hello! no, just stalking all of you from sunny florida.....i was so excited to see ryan with the same tank as me and wanted to follow along with his progress. 

Stalker...ha ha. 

20 hours ago, Exodus said:

Looks Good man! Les rock structure more flow possible :)

Thanks dude. I’m gonna try it out for awhile

two questions for you:

1. what overflow method are you using? (i highly recommend herbie style)

2. how important is noise to you? i found my sicce return pump to be too noisy. so i went with a simplicity dc pump. SILENT. 

noise was very important to me and now my tank is eerily quiet. which is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Ron Popeil said:

two questions for you:

1. what overflow method are you using? (i highly recommend herbie style)

2. how important is noise to you? i found my sicce return pump to be too noisy. so i went with a simplicity dc pump. SILENT. 

noise was very important to me and now my tank is eerily quiet. which is awesome. 

Im just using the standard durso. I have the 1" drain split into two filter socks on my Trigger sump. Do you have some pics of your herbie setup?

Yeah I am not overly impressed with the Sicce noise wise. I want to do a DC pump soon but the Sicce is something I had already

I have a question for you now. What mag cleaner are you using? Thought I would ask since we have the same tank!

Still waiting on the tank to clear up fully. Need to go run some carbon probably tomorrow. Cleaned the film off of the glass tonight and made it a little worse. Everything is been running good and even my skimmer is pulling crap like crazy.

image.jpg

ryan, i strongly recommend you make your aquarium as simple as possible. if you dont mind me asking, why did you choose two filter socks? long term, do you really want to wash and replace two filter socks constantly? 

forgive me if you already know what a herbie style overflow is, but ill explain mine here: in the overflow for this aquarium, you have two holes. one hole will be your full drain, this pipe comes up just about 3/4 of the way of your overflow. put a cover of some sort over this, so that you dont impede waterflow, but prevent unwanted objects from being pulled down. the other hole will be your emergency drain. this extends barely above the water line of your overflow and below rim of your aquarium. cover this too! 

bs5PHK3.jpg

below the full drain, you have a gate valve, it has to be a gate valve. this goes into my (only) filter sock just below the water line of my sump. the emergency drain also connects to a pipe below the water line of my sump. it takes a bit to finesse the system, but once you dial it in, you get every gallon per hour of your return pump going down your full drain pipe. you want just a little trickle going down the emergency drain, as much as you can tolerate.

this set up is SILENT in comparison to your durso. 

for me the hum of the sicce return was too much. no amount of rubber feet or suction cups could stop the resonation. the switch to a simplicity DC pump was amazing. 

i think i use a shark magnet, i had it laying around from the old days. scary powerful. i use that for as long as i can before i need to bust out my kent scraper for the coralline. 

hope this helps!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SantaMonicaHelp said:

Very good stuff so far! Looking forward to more!

-Kamran

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, Ron Popeil said:

ryan, i strongly recommend you make your aquarium as simple as possible. if you dont mind me asking, why did you choose two filter socks? long term, do you really want to wash and replace two filter socks constantly? 

forgive me if you already know what a herbie style overflow is, but ill explain mine here: in the overflow for this aquarium, you have two holes. one hole will be your full drain, this pipe comes up just about 3/4 of the way of your overflow. put a cover of some sort over this, so that you dont impede waterflow, but prevent unwanted objects from being pulled down. the other hole will be your emergency drain. this extends barely above the water line of your overflow and below rim of your aquarium. cover this too! 

bs5PHK3.jpg

below the full drain, you have a gate valve, it has to be a gate valve. this goes into my (only) filter sock just below the water line of my sump. the emergency drain also connects to a pipe below the water line of my sump. it takes a bit to finesse the system, but once you dial it in, you get every gallon per hour of your return pump going down your full drain pipe. you want just a little trickle going down the emergency drain, as much as you can tolerate.

this set up is SILENT in comparison to your durso. 

for me the hum of the sicce return was too much. no amount of rubber feet or suction cups could stop the resonation. the switch to a simplicity DC pump was amazing. 

i think i use a shark magnet, i had it laying around from the old days. scary powerful. i use that for as long as i can before i need to bust out my kent scraper for the coralline. 

hope this helps!

Okay so you use both hole for drains and then just run the return up the back? I know nothing about herbie's so I will look more into in. What simplicity pump did you end up going with?? 

Yeah the good ol kent scraper is a must!

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

for what its worth i have a new jebao DCT and it is about as silent as they come. its the 15000 i think.. it is a BEAST!!

Sweet I will look at those pumps too

Stuck the canopy on and turned on the lights tonight. Gotta okay with some colors still but not looking too shabby. The light is pretty centralized right now but hopefully adjusting it will change that look. Shows up a lot worse in the pictures 

6E41268D-E86E-45B7-8EF0-6848310A2873.jpeg

Edited by R-3