The Evergreen State College - Aquariums

Hey everyone,

I went back to the Evergreen State College (my undergraduate) for a visit and they installed a huge 13,000 liter system aquarium system in the basement of the school. One thing I thought they always did well was teach the sciences and this provides a way for the students to both monitor and have a hands-on experience with these living creatures.

Although, when I visited, they were looking for more variety of corals and it made me think it would be good to ask the club.

Personally, I have some euphyllia, birdsnest, xooanthids, and pavona that I am going to donate. I haven't heard of anything they don't want.

So, please let me know if you have any corals that you would be willing to donate for educational purposes. I'll likely be heading up in December, so no rush. 

Thanks again,

• Like 4

Let me know what your after Miles as if I have it you can have some ;) 

oh and liters :rolleyes: are we in Canada eh..........:joking:

• Like 1

I honestly think anything that is free of bugs. I am going to throw in some montipora, along with some faster growing SPS.

Oh, and that's the thing. Fast growing would probably benefit them.

There are a lot of isolated tanks that they tend to do experiments in. No animals are harmed in the process, but if you imagine a student wants to do 10 trials of different pH's....then they need to grow fast enough to supply the students.

So anything that grows at a good pace and is somewhat hardy. 

Their display tank is a beautiful collection of Puget Sound critters.  But you must be talking about their many other tanks, some or all with warm water.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trailermann said:

Their display tank is a beautiful collection of Puget Sound critters.  But you must be talking about their many other tanks, some or all with warm water.

exactly what i was thinking the photo looks to be a cold water tank

Hey everyone, 

Finally came north to visit The Evergreen State College. Here is their facility and the corals donated.

It is located in the basement of Lab I. When I was there, most of this area was storage and a bio-analytical research lab. 

They had multiple cold saltwater tanks with massive creatures from the deep.

They had multiple "touch" pools" for handling creatures.

Their back room had a huge saltwater mixing container and multiple phytoplankton starts.

Huge backroom sumps.

Then their tropical tanks.

The bottom one looked solely like an aiptasia culture for the purpose of studying this model organism. The top was pretty much empty, so I put most of the corals in there. 

It was a cool experience and I'd like to say Thank you to everyone that was involved.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing !! I’m glad my donations made it to you ! Thanks BadxGillen for delivering them. That looks like a pretty cool college!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tommy
      Final update, only equipment left:

12/5/2017  OLD
      Hello everyone, 
      I'm breaking down my 120 and want to sell everything. Individual prices are below, view the pictures and checkout the prices in the second link. Call or text 503 442 9901, I'm located in NE Portland. 
      Pictures of corals:     https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D4kybOIzItbo5Tm3W5mpIXlufva923yX/view?usp=sharing
      Prices (3 tabs):     https://drive.google.com/file/d/1So7YvpoZ_b5SCNRxV5GR-b4ljNM3BmID/view?usp=sharing
      Overview of my setup:

• By Aquariumaster
      Hello Everybody!
      I just went to the last meeting, but just in case I didn't get to meet you I just wanted to properly introduce myself! So I am currently a student at OSU, and I found out that both my tutor Miles Taylor, and I are both into the aquarium hobby. So he told me about PNWMAS, and that there was a meeting coming up, so I was more than happy to come. It was great to meet a lot of you. So I do have a few tanks here in my dorm and back home.  Right now I have a 14 gallon nano cube, a 5 gallon goldfish tank, and a 3 gallon mangrove tank. But back home  in California I have a 120 gallon fish only saltwater system, a 28 gallon nano cube, a 55 gallon freshwater, and a pond. If you want to see the stuff I've kept over the years I have a youtube channel and instagram with the same user name, "aquariumaster" . I'll also attach some videos and pictures here.  But ya, I'm just really happy to be a part of this and I look forward to going to the upcoming meetings!
      Here is my 120 gallon: 
      and heres my old bamboo shark ( she now actually lives at SeaWorld San Diego!):
    • By Micksfish
      Hello All, 
      I haven't posted on this forum yet, but have been in the fish hobby for quite some time. I have been noticing something that has really concerned me and it just seems to be getting worse. 
      I live in the greater Seattle area and have noticed that we have been continually losing our quality fish stores over the last 10 to 15 years. Especially saltwater stores. We don't even have a reef club or reef swap to anymore (the Tri Cities even have one!!).   With Red C Aquarium store closing down. We now have Dennys Pet World, The Fish Store, Barrier Reef Aquariums and a few others that make up the available retail stores we can visit between Everett and Tacoma. Sure I missed a few of the smaller shops or mixed pet shops but you get my point. We really have a limited selection. When we look at meet ups or frag swaps, this is even more limited with what is available. I remember there used to be a much larger selection of events that were held yearly for aquarium hobbyists. But it seems, with time, they keep dropping off. 
      Aside from online retailers what do you think the cause of this is? You look around the US and every region has big yearly expos that bring national attention to their regions for fish and reef hobbyists. Then you look at the Pacific Northwest and it is a black hole. We need to work together to bring this back! 
      I know we can be introverted people who don't like to always go outside of our house. But this is something that I dearly miss and believe many of you do as well. 
      So I propose we try to work on getting ourselves back to what used to be. We need to stat supporting our local fish stores. Regardless if their prices are a bit more expensive. Soon enough, we will reach a day where you have an emergency and are unable to find a store anywhere that can assist you quickly. Instead, you have to wait two days for your order to show up, which in many cases, will be too late. 
      I'm not trying to make this a personal rant, but something to wake us up to take notice of this issue and work on finding a solution. I, like many others absolutely love this hobby. As well as the people it attracts. I want to see our area known for having a great environment for aquarium hobbyists so we can bring in better stores and maybe, just maybe host an actual national expo here!
      That being said, what do you all think we can do to bring this back? Do you agree with my thoughts on our dying culture here? And if so, help me to get this back on track! It will take a group to make this work so please help! 
      Thank you! 
    • By Reef madness
      Helping a friend Sell some corals locally.  These look healthy and have thrived in his IM tank for a couple of years and he's a great guy to deal with.  Here is his Ad:
      If you would like to contact Tom directly, he can be reached at tomallanboyd@gmail.com