Allthingscoral

Proper care for my Mandarin

I would have suggested you looked this up before purchasing the fish. Your Mandarin will continuously eat daily, actually non stop. The truth of it is you will most likely not be able to keep up with the fish as it slowly starves to death within an aquarium. Your best bet is to get a 10-20 Gallon aquarium, fill it with Cheato & copepods then throw in a few Shower loofahs. So here's the idea, the pods grow and reproduce, they hide in the cheato and the loofahs, you then daily shake one of those loofahs into your reef tank dropping off a ton of pods, from there throw it back in the pod tank, next day grab a different loofah and repeat.

Though having a copepod tank requires feeding the pods, so the next thing you might want to look at is a great place to purchase phytoplankton in bulk, or of course breeding your own, and that's another big operation on its own. :) Good luck! 

• Like 2

Thank you for your help after posting this I did my research and bought a lot of pods on line they will be here in a few days .that is a great idea to breed my own pods as well im looking into that as well

• Like 1

I have found that a single mandarin will be fat and happy in a 55g with a 29g macroalgae refugium, without supplemental feeding. I have been unable to keep more than one in this size, but its unclear if this was mostly food limitation or aggression. 

How big is your tank, and do you have any refugium to breed pods?

Hello and thx for your help I really appreciate it yes I do have a sump And I could breed pods I got him from critters and cabana he is skinny they are getting rid of there salt water so I got him and a yellow tang for 20 bucks I am trying to get him to eat Flake food or even frozen Just don't want him to die They're really pretty fish And it was a great deal I'm going back again to get some more livestock Have you learned how to try to Feed flake food You have any ideas please let me know Thanks again for your help 

26 minutes ago, Allthingscoral said:

Hello and thx for your help I really appreciate it yes I do have a sump And I could breed pods I got him from critters and cabana he is skinny they are getting rid of there salt water so I got him and a yellow tang for 20 bucks I am trying to get him to eat Flake food or even frozen Just don't want him to die They're really pretty fish And it was a great deal I'm going back again to get some more livestock Have you learned how to try to Feed flake food You have any ideas please let me know Thanks again for your help 

Congrats on the deals!

IMO... Avoid flakes!  Algae bloom city at least for me... 

@Exodus's tip was golden.  I might throw a loofa in my sump.  Just because pods are tasty treats....

16 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Congrats on the deals!

IMO... Avoid flakes!  Algae bloom city at least for me... 

@Exodus's tip was golden.  I might throw a loofa in my sump.  Just because pods are tasty treats....

Okay so just frozen ?

What's a loofa sorry I'm new to hobby

I think he's talking about a regular shower loofah. Great idea, by the way. @exodus 7473fd489fc24fd6abfc6a951b3b7611.jpg4c55e4ffe1a8478c430867020a303295.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I think he's talking about a regular shower loofah. Great idea, by the way. [mention=13424]exodus[/mention] 7473fd489fc24fd6abfc6a951b3b7611.jpg

What did we say about posting leg selfies, Holly?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

What did we say about posting leg selfies, Holly?

Well I was just trying to help out a fellow reefer.  Just be thankful he wasn't asking what gorilla nipple zoas are...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys are on a roll...

BTW - I assume you can’t get an actual loofah anymore since it is naturally occurring sponge (well, a dead one anyway). Haven’t seen one for a long time. 

Well I was just trying to help out a fellow reefer.  Just be thankful he wasn't asking what gorilla nipple zoas are...
Haha... Always the problem child.

And to not completely derail the post, I'd agree that Mandarins are very difficult to keep fed. I know ORA was selling them already eating frozen. Lots of pods, other live food as well. Try feeding live and frozen at the same time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

And to not completely derail the post, I'd agree that Mandarins are very difficult to keep fed. I know ORA was selling them already eating frozen. Lots of pods, other live food as well. Try feeding live and frozen at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G955U 

2 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Thank you all so much been a big help