Jellyfish refugium

MrsBret

46 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Nice!  Never heard of these.  How do they avoid the typical kriesel-shaped requirements and not get sucked through filtration? 

In the wild they sit on the bottom of sand beds upside down with tentacles in the air.  In our refugium there's so much macroalgae they can't really get sucked anywhere lol.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrsBret said:

In the wild they sit on the bottom of sand beds upside down with tentacles in the air.  In our refugium there's so much macroalgae they can't really get sucked anywhere lol.  

I was wondering how much flow you had in the refugium as I would be concerned about them getting thrashed.  Very cool though!

• Like 1

If I remember right the tank has a 900ish gpr pump on it ( probably a bit less with head pressure ) if the fuge was empty they would end up stuck against the skim off slits. The first part of the fuge section we try to keep a few small orange sized spaces so they bounce off the surrounding macro algae and stay in the little pockets of water.

• Like 1