Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheClark

Improve heart health by achieving the 8 minute mile

Recommended Posts

14 months ago I set out on what felt like an impossible mission.
 
Improve heart health by achieving the 8 minute mile.
 
According to attached article, this is a significant indicator of heart health later in life. True or not it struck a chord...
 
The odds were against me, a software person in their mid 40s with not the best feet...
 
So I started off with some terrible times (16 minutes) but kept at it. Despite a sprained ankle in December (stairs) and taking the entire summer off (more time with the kids) the goal has been achieved.
 
The last 5 runs have all been in the 8 minute mile range, most less than 8:30. The 8 minute miles are now just part of a normal workout, woohoo! :YayWave:
 
Apparently I lost around 25 lbs along the way eating better along with the exercise. Resting pulse is almost always in the 50s now. There are measurable results!
 
Many of you out there can already do this. Respect!!!
 
For the rest, I hope there is someone out there is thinking - 'Hey, if even Jeremy could do it, maybe I could to'.
 
Best of luck and let me know if you give it a go!  Hope this inspires someone the way I was inspired.
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minute mile? yikes, scratch the navy seals of your list. lol.

that is a great story though. as I am finding out, getting old kind of sucks. Kudos for getting out and getting things done. i have been putting of starting a formal exercise program for awhile now :(

maybe this will finally get me off the couch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

16 minute mile? yikes, scratch the navy seals of your list. lol.

that is a great story though. as I am finding out, getting old kind of sucks. Kudos for getting out and getting things done. i have been putting of starting a formal exercise program for awhile now :(

maybe this will finally get me off the couch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Navy seals is SOooooo off my list LOL.  Respect to those elite of elite folks!

@pdxmonkeyboy, getting older stinks, you are right!  Just go for it, you won't be sorry and good luck!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had a roommate in san diego who was a seal. The guy was a legit freak. He would just take off for a week here or two weeks there. i would interrogate him where he was and he would just say "operations".

At home though he was suuuper chill. My most memorable interaction with him "please don't snap my neck but I ate all your ice cream" his reply, completely dead pan " you watch to much tv"


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey congrats Jeremy! I don't even strive to make an 8 minute mile! I'm just happy when I get it down to ten minutes... It's much more challenging when I am dragging along 2 dogs who don't get interval training!

It is definitely hard work and I think that's helpful to pass along to people. I sometimes run at lunch and the people who run with me tell me all about their legs hurting and I'm like yes of course it hurts! Every time I run my body tells me to stop until I get through that first mile.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Hey congrats Jeremy! I don't even strive to make an 8 minute mile! I'm just happy when I get it down to ten minutes... It's much more challenging when I am dragging along 2 dogs who don't get interval training!

It is definitely hard work and I think that's helpful to pass along to people. I sometimes run at lunch and the people who run with me tell me all about their legs hurting and I'm like yes of course it hurts! Every time I run my body tells me to stop until I get through that first mile.

You were definitely a part of my inspiration.  Hahah, dragging non interval trained dogs, that is hilarious!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Jeremy!  I was one of those people who, even when in good shape, never ever got a "rush" from exercise no matter how hard or far I pushed myself - just don't have that endorphin pathway to speak of.  Caffeine also has no effect on me so I may have a receptor problem or something.  Either that or I'm just lazy and weird (much higher likelihood).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats but I would probably have a heart attack trying to run a 8 min mile ;) me and running don't get along very well.......I wont even run for a beer :shock: 

After my leg broke in many places I am stuck with walking as that's about all I can do.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 months ago I set out on what felt like an impossible mission.   Improve heart health by achieving the 8 minute mile.   According to attached article, this is a significant indicator of heart health later in life. True or not it struck a chord...   The odds were against me, a software person in their mid 40s with not the best feet...   So I started off with some terrible times (16 minutes) but kept at it. Despite a sprained ankle in December (stairs) and taking the entire summer off (more time with the kids) the goal has been achieved.   The last 5 runs have all been in the 8 minute mile range, most less than 8:30. The 8 minute miles are now just part of a normal workout, woohoo! :YayWave:   Apparently I lost around 25 lbs along the way eating better along with the exercise. Resting pulse is almost always in the 50s now. There are measurable results!   Many of you out there can already do this. Respect!!!   For the rest, I hope there is someone out there is thinking - 'Hey, if even Jeremy could do it, maybe I could to'.   Best of luck and let me know if you give it a go!  Hope this inspires someone the way I was inspired.
I love this Jeremy! Thank you for sharing and big kudos to you!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fantastic and 8 mins is legit Keep setting goals for yourself, it's the best way to keep the motivation alive.. and I say that as a runner who keeps losing motivation. My new goal is to run my second marathon in 2018 (right before turning 40).. I lost most motivation after finishing the first one 5 years ago lol

 

I'm not fast, but I can go far. And I have to, because I always hate the first 3 miles!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, reefrun said:

That's fantastic and 8 mins is legit emoji123.png Keep setting goals for yourself, it's the best way to keep the motivation alive.. and I say that as a runner who keeps losing motivation. My new goal is to run my second marathon in 2018 (right before turning 40).. I lost most motivation after finishing the first one 5 years ago lol

 

I'm not fast, but I can go far. And I have to, because I always hate the first 3 miles!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

That's awesome!  Respect to marathon runners too, no idea how you can run that far and long!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you Jeremy!  I've been running off and on since leaving the service and there is nothing better.  Now if I could have some new knees, spine, lungs... lol.  Usually my goal starts at 10 minute miles but minimum of 3-5 miles per run.  I hear ya on the training delays too.  Injuries happen a lot easier in my 30's.  8 minutes would probably send my asthmatic butt into a grave these days.   Long gone are my 12:50 2-miles. :(

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

Good for you Jeremy!  I've been running off and on since leaving the service and there is nothing better.  Now if I could have some new knees, spine, lungs... lol.  Usually my goal starts at 10 minute miles but minimum of 3-5 miles per run.  I hear ya on the training delays too.  Injuries happen a lot easier in my 30's.  8 minutes would probably send my asthmatic butt into a grave these days.   Long gone are my 12:50 2-miles. :(

Thanks!  Dang!! 12:50 2 miles?  I can only imagine...  What branch?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome!  This makes me want to start jogging again.  I did the Sauvie Island half marathon a few years ago and it was so fun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MrsBret said:

Awesome!  This makes me want to start jogging again.  I did the Sauvie Island half marathon a few years ago and it was so fun.  

That's great, do it!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Thanks!  Dang!! 12:50 2 miles?  I can only imagine...  What branch?

Active duty Army.  This was back in 2004-05?  If I manage that in 20 minutes these days I'm satisfied.  I'm also happy my knees have been put back together enough to even jog (albeit with straps/braces).    

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

Active duty Army.  This was back in 2004-05?  If I manage that in 20 minutes these days I'm satisfied.  I'm also happy my knees have been put back together enough to even jog (albeit with straps/braces).    

That sounds painful.  Glad you are still able to get out there after all that.  Wish that running actually made me feel good as I could use the exercise but, even when I was in great shape from regular soccer trainings it always just felt like (insert derogatory word indicating much discomfort and suffering here).  I salute your (and Jeremy's, Kim's, reef run's) dedication!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×