Water flow?

Taylorhardy1

Would I be better off buying 3 koralia nano pumps, or 2 medium sized pumps on a 93g cube? I was thinking with 3 small pumps I could really vary flow while still keeping low flow areas. but I'm not exactly sure which would be better. I also like the idea of how much easier smaller pumps are to hide. Let me know what you guys think!

I’d go with larger pumps. I have both Koralia Nanos 240 and 425. They are barely enough flow for my 20L hospital tank. With a 93gal cube you should be looking for larger pumps. Another reason why so many use controllable pumps like Vortechs is so the flow can vary and you can still have it peak and keep things stirred up everywhere but it also backs off and doesn’t blast things 24/7 like a single speed pump would. 

Cubes are kind of hard for flow since they are square and you don’t want to get something too powerful that would work better throwing farther in a long tank. Maybe look into a maxspect gyre, you can mount them vertically and create some nice flow patterns in a cube. I had one in my 45 gal cube and liked it a lot.

• Like 1

I ended up ordering a gyre, and I bought a 3rd gen hydor koralia. Something like 2400gph, I've got another old school powerhead in there till my gyre gets here, and I also picked up a controller for the hydor. My corals seem stoked since the second it went in. Initially blew sand, but it settled quickly after I got things dialed in. 

• Like 1