Hey everyone!

Taylorhardy1

Hey guys! I've been lurking on here since before I moved to Oregon from Utah and even a while since. I initially moved here with a 65g I had been running for 3 months, then a heater failed on my qt and killed most all of my lps. I had been rebuilding that until I was able to score an awesome 93g cube from a  member here for a few frags. After I got that all polished up, I moved everything from my 65g into the cube when I moved to Salem. I was able to put together a scape I'm extremely happy with but I stress a lot when it comes to coral placement. Was hoping some of you might be able to help guide me on figuring some of this stuff out as I go, and figured this wouldn't be a bad post for it! Anyways, here are my tanks, pictures are in order from oldest to most recent.😁

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

• Like 3

Hi! Welcome ! The first thing I do when I set up a new tank is figure out the par as that will help dictate placement. 

If you become a supporting member you can borrow the club one for free.

As a rough rule of thumb though sps tend to like higher par so I place them up high and lps tend to like lower par so down below  or medium they go or even shaded if they are chalices. 

Zoas can go all sorts of places. Mixed reefs can be a challenge because it seems every species likes different conditions. 

I also just move Corals around to figure out that “sweet spot”

I was kinda planning on an sps garden for the top half of the main island of the scape, with a little island for zoas and palys in the front corner, with lps and softies on the bottom half of the rock scape, and an lps garden in the sandbed. My biggest stressor is my acros, my montis seem to be extremely happy wherever I put them on the top half, but I'm clueless as to how to figure out which acros to place next to eachother that will grow into eachother and stay happy, and sting free. I've got an ecotech radion xr30w g2 currently, I've got it hung at 12inches above the waterline, I've been running it at 65% intensity as that seems to be where I get the best color and growth all around. All my corals started as tiny frags, being a budget reefer and all, so i struggle with imagining how pieces are going to grow together.😜

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

I was kinda planning on an sps garden for the top half of the main island of the scape, with a little island for zoas and palys in the front corner, with lps and softies on the bottom half of the rock scape, and an lps garden in the sandbed. My biggest stressor is my acros, my montis seem to be extremely happy wherever I put them on the top half, but I'm clueless as to how to figure out which acros to place next to eachother that will grow into eachother and stay happy, and sting free. I've got an ecotech radion xr30w g2 currently, I've got it hung at 12inches above the waterline, I've been running it at 65% intensity as that seems to be where I get the best color and growth all around. All my corals started as tiny frags, being a budget reefer and all, so i struggle with imagining how pieces are going to grow together.😜

That’s always the challenge to see who will get along. 😀

I started looking at my scape more, and realized I could get much more creative with my scape when it came to acro placement today. Cleared up a lot of real estate for other pieces, and I think it will look much more interesting after going about it this route, adjusted my return heads to put a lot more flow through this section of the tank, the corals seem happier so far. Picture was taken just after I moved pieces around, and excuse the gha. Lack of ro maintenance, issue has been addressed and taken care of, just letting it die off at this point.😆IMG_1889.thumb.JPG.1578cb4c9a5f30efa2e99e1c7df210f2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...