Odd Request - Need A Hole In Steel 4" Pipe

TheClark

Asking around as a favor for a friend...

He has a steel 4" pipe in the ground.  It cannot be removed.

He needs to drill or cut multiple holes in it around 13 feet down the pipe.  It must be drilled or cut from the inside.

Looking for ideas, or someone who can be hired for the job.

39 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Hmmm... Lets just say for this discussion removal is not an option.

Come on you outta the box thinkers, what say you? :)

Get some metal eating rats?  Sorry man, honestly can't think of a way to do that - guess my out of the box thinking hat is broken today.

• Like 1

Is this a riddle, or a real project? Maybe if you could tell us what he is trying to do it would be easier to come up with a solution.

I don't see any way to cut holes in a 4" steel pipe 13' deep from the inside. How big do the holes need to be?

Super sketchy, but the only way I can think you would be able to do this would be to lower a cutting torch into the pipe, you would have to rig it up so the blowback wouldn't burn the torch or the lines, only way I can think of other than a hand grenade, lol.

36 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

Is this a riddle, or a real project? Maybe if you could tell us what he is trying to do it would be easier to come up with a solution.

I don't see any way to cut holes in a 4" steel pipe 13' deep from the inside. How big do the holes need to be?

Super sketchy, but the only way I can think you would be able to do this would be to lower a cutting torch into the pipe, you would have to rig it up so the blowback wouldn't burn the torch or the lines, only way I can think of other than a hand grenade, lol.

Hand grenade, nice!!

Ah, blowback, yeah.  That's a big issue for sure.

Smart bunch of people on here so thought I would 'toss' it out there and see if we get any ideas.

I was thinking:

• Lower a right angle electric drill on an extension cord.
  • With an inflatable air bag strapped to the back of it.
  • When far enough down the pipe, inflate the bag (to push on the back of the drill)
  • Then plug in the drill

It's sketchy but that is all I came up with.

It doesn't need to be a precise location in the pipe if that helps.

19 minutes ago, cjmdh said:

Just a thought
91609f784d322a5fa941ef6849a61cea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see this working at some level but at 13 feet into the pipe?  Hmm.  I guess if you had a wedge at the end of an equally long pole - might need a fiber optic setup or something in order to get it lined up properly from the top (perhaps attached to the same pole as the wedge?).  Might be hard to control at that length but at least it doesn't have to be at a precise location.

I hope we eventually get the lowdown on what this is for - having a hard time envisioning the purpose :unsure:

Why not Drill the outside of pipe? Can you set like a Drip pan rigged to a pole so your not using blocks and all? Then you can catch all the shavings.   Pipe Fitters do that all the time in clean rooms.  

Call Charter Mechanical they will do it for a hefty price or even a Sprinkler Fitter?! (Viking) 

Edited by Flash21

1 hour ago, Flash21 said:

Why not Drill the outside of pipe? Can you set like a Drip pan rigged to a pole so your not using blocks and all? Then you can catch all the shavings.   Pipe Fitters do that all the time in clean rooms.  

Call Charter Mechanical they will do it for a hefty price or even a Sprinkler Fitter?! (Viking) 

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!  In this project, it is not possible to drill from the outside.  That's what makes this a unique challenge.

Wow just saw this and well if it did get done did you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :laugh: If you ask me its about impossible........nothing is going down a 4" pipe 13 feet......they don't even make a drill that small.

I think the grenade or dynamite is the only option here :unsure: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Wow just saw this and well if it did get done did you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :laugh: If you ask me its about impossible........nothing is going down a 4" pipe 13 feet......they don't even make a drill that small.

I think the grenade or dynamite is the only option here :unsure: 

I was hoping you would weigh in!  Come on... there has to be a way :)

I think @cjmdh is close!  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheClark said:

I was hoping you would weigh in!  Come on... there has to be a way :)

I think @cjmdh is close!  

Good luck finding a drive rod that long that wont twist to hell when the bit bites.........plus I don't even think you will find a 90 attachment and a hole saw that will fit in there......

I say rent a big track hoe and rip it up drill the hole and smash it back down in the ground :laugh: or dig a hole next to it with the track hoe and drill from the outside.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cjmdh said:

It can be done for sure.  Maybe not exactly how I envisioned it, but for the right price anything is possible.  How fat is the wallet that is financing this project?

There is some budget here.  Measured in hundreds not thousands...

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

There is some budget here.  Measured in hundreds not thousands...

Well... I hear red neck engineering is pretty cheap these days.  A case of Old Milwaukee and some beef jerky just might get the job done. 😄😄😄

I got another way to put a hole in that pipe. Make a ceramic plug that closely fits the ID of the pipe. The top of the plug is cut on a 45. Place thermite in the void created by the angle cut in the top of the plug. Wrap the thermite section in foil so it stays put for the ride down. You’ll have a length of magnesium wire in the thermite to ignite it with wires and a power source up top. Lower the whole thing down into the pipe and let it rip. 

Probably want to do a test run on a section of similar pipe to get the mass of thermite and ceramic plug geometry right.

B36DE79D-C06C-44E6-A5AB-F68160B09BF7.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

I got another way to put a hole in that pipe. Make a ceramic plug that closely fits the ID of the pipe. The top of the plug is cut on a 45. Place thermite in the void created by the angle cut in the top of the plug. Wrap the thermite section in foil so it stays put for the ride down. You’ll have a length of magnesium wire in the thermite to ignite it with wires and a power source up top. Lower the whole thing down into the pipe and let it rip. 

Probably want to do a test run on a section of similar pipe to get the mass of thermite and ceramic plug geometry right.

B36DE79D-C06C-44E6-A5AB-F68160B09BF7.jpeg

Dang!  That is an impressive idea!  Got more homework to do now