Heater broke, tank crashed

Blue Z Reef

[mention=16179]pdxmonkeyboy[/mention], how long have you been using those?  Pretty cool and super cheap if they're reliable!
about 2 years now. this is my favorite temp controller because it has an audible alarm

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222669594835

I am also using the $12 mini controller you have to wire yourself from ebay and the inkbird. never had a problem with either of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My son's aqueon pro just died tonight.  First tripped GFCI, I reset GFCI and AFCI tripped in the panel.

When the AFCI tripped, apex started playing an alarm and texting about a power outage. 

So I ran out to turn the breaker back on, tripped the house alarm.

Chaos!

Pulled it out, swapped in the spare.  No more trip.

Wife not happy with tank tonight :)

@Blue Z Reef Jeff, what heater did you end up going with?  I just used my spare and need to replace one!

I’m still running the Jager with no issues since it was put into service. I had to buy a second one for my QT tank while the display was “re-cycling.” They are available at PetSmart (not PetCo). Overall happy with it and everything has been back in the display for a month or so. I will say that, as with most heaters, a controller is necessary as they don’t hit anywhere close to the numbers on the dial (only observed due to QT not being on my RK).

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TheClark said:

My son's aqueon pro just died tonight.  First tripped GFCI, I reset GFCI and AFCI tripped in the panel.

When the AFCI tripped, apex started playing an alarm and texting about a power outage. 

So I ran out to turn the breaker back on, tripped the house alarm.

Chaos!

Pulled it out, swapped in the spare.  No more trip.

Wife not happy with tank tonight :)

@Blue Z Reef Jeff, what heater did you end up going with?  I just used my spare and need to replace one!

Well... that could have been a whole lot worse if you didn’t have the safety measures in place - except for the house alarm that is 😄

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2017 at 12:19 AM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i am a HUGE fan of these... Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/381948292510

no cheap circuit to stick on or off, and no glass to break.

I had a heater cook a tank a long long time ago and i have also had glass ones break.

sorry to hear about the loss

I ordered one of these because I wanted to replace my remaining glass backup heater.  Just put the 300w Finnex in there and wow, that's a nice heater for a super nice price.  I like that it's dependent on my already sophisticated temperature controller compared to an onboard one.  I'm pretty sold on these, they heat up fast too!  Can't speak for longevity yet but obviously you can so this seems like reiterating that these are pretty cool. 

• Like 1

I ordered one of these because I wanted to replace my remaining glass backup heater.  Just put the 300w Finnex in there and wow, that's a nice heater for a super nice price.  I like that it's dependent on my already sophisticated temperature controller compared to an onboard one.  I'm pretty sold on these, they heat up fast too!  Can't speak for longevity yet but obviously you can so this seems like reiterating that these are pretty cool. 
they are super dope for sure. I dropped one down the stairs once.. not a problem.

• Haha 1