Sign in to follow this  
Sean.G

Need some replacement lighting help.

So to keep things short my old light (Orbit USA Pro something or the other) broke, salt corroded a wire and I was not able to make a lasting repair on it. I'm trying to find some cheap lighting I can get away with for my ~2 foot cube (Reefer Nano) and I really just want to keep what I already have alive, all softies right now. Ideally I could keep some higher light requirement stuff towards the top of my tank but I'm looking for cheap not perfect. I don't really have a hard price limit, but around $150 is what I am trying to find. I've looked at T5 setups but the price of bulbs and need to replace them relatively often turns me off to them.

Any advice appreciated.

Is black box just a generic name for Chinese LED fixtures? I looked at those but wasn't sure if they would be okay or just trash. 

Some people swear by them (black boxes) and others don't...I do! Especially if all you have are softies at the moment. It'll even grow sps! Just make sure you get a black box with full spectrum. I now run a Reefi light in my display and black boxes over my sump and frag tank.
To each is own, tho...

Sent from my Man Cave while having a cold one!

• Like 1

I've had great luck with black boxes too. You have to careful not to blast your corals with too much light though with that size tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I upgraded from black boxes to Ocean Revives.  I do feel the ocean revives do a better job and yet are still a great value.

I rarely claim facts but here goes:

Fact:  There are a number of extremely nice tanks you can visit in the PNWMAS area running Ocean Revives.

That is what swayed me finally after all these years.  Guess I can be a bit stubborn :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm probably gonna go with a "black box" since it seems like they aren't just trash and will get me by fine for now. Or if I can find a used Ocean Revive or a used AI prime but I'm not expecting much on those fronts.

4 hours ago, Sean.G said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm probably gonna go with a "black box" since it seems like they aren't just trash and will get me by fine for now. Or if I can find a used Ocean Revive or a used AI prime but I'm not expecting much on those fronts.

Used AI Primes are available on Nano-Reef & Reef2Reef all the time. I personally would avoid Black boxes myself, Ocean Revive is known for results but they have a name therefore they are not a typical no name black box.

Ended up getting a viparspectra brand black box off amazon was only $129 and has an average review score of 4.5 with around 100 reviews so I am pretty hopeful its a decent setup. Thanks for the advice everyone.  Arrives next Monday.

Edited by Sean.G

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dayze9
      My torts have been growing real stringy lately. Anyone know if this is a lighting issue  or  chemistry? I switched all if my lighting to led, but this was a few years back. My chemistry seams to fluctuate due to an unreliable calcium reactor, but this isn't anything new either. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

• By kchapmanjr
      I have three (3) Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro's with RMS (tank mounts), TWO of which are for sale. Thought I would try them here before putting them on R2R. I have only used them for seven months, so they are basically brand new. I can post pics if requested, but I f I remember right the manufacture date for all of them is August 2015. All original packaging included. Just bought a 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture from BRS last night and need to thin out the equipment a bit. I cannot take them off the tank until the new fixture arrives - which should be by Wednesday. I will keep one for a future build. Each light has about 24" of coverage so these could pretty easily light a 48" tank (I have 3 on. 59" tank). They come with the 120 degree optics that I have never used as well. These lights are actually really awesome with unmatched controllability, but I personally prefer the look and results of T5's. Just my personal preference.

I tried to upload a FTS to show coverage, but I kept getting an error message. I can email pictures, but they will just be pictures of new Radions, which can be seen with any Google search. They have never been set above 55% and I still had to be careful not to fry my corals, so they are plenty powerful.

I can share the invoice, which shows I paid $399.00 for each light and $89.00 for each RMS. Would like to sell them together, but this is not a requirement. I'm asking $625.00 for both or $325.00 each. If bought together, that's $349.00 off of what I recently paid. Email Is the best way of contact, but if serious I will send my cell # for texting.
    • By bamburgb
      Hi Everyone,

So I am in the middle of purchasing a house and am kinda curious as to what people have found the best methods for moving there tanks with minimal stress on the fish and corals? Ill be moving a 180 gallon and also a 30 gallon. what equipment did you find was most helpful in the move? did you save most of the water or start from scratch?

thanks for any advice
    • By Sasquatch
      Signs of zoa stress and how to fix it..

1. Too much light or being trampled by hermits and snails they will close or look squished, maybe bruised. You want to move them to a darker lower spot or on a ledge that a shell cannot travel to easily

:The red Zoas were in to strong of light and just the centers are showing, the bottom ones are all shut on one side, if these happen rearrange them until they reopen again
      :Either partial shade or lower down than before, sometimes if they reach to tall and look like trumpets it's to little of light. The far right is the same morph in proper lighting

2. Algae can be the death of Zoas
      : you want to put it somewhere snails can graze, and get a clean up crew that eats the algae if you do not have hermits or a Seahare does great with green hair algae.
      : if the CUC isn't touching it, pull the algae out with your fingers if it's long enough, or frag up the zoa and clip off the rock surrounding the polyps till you have separated the polyps from the rock and reglue to a new clean live/dry rock

3. Being stung by coral or worms, Sometimes you get spider webs inside the tank or so etching is eating your Zoas

:The God or wars (right) are bleached and closed up, maybe have brown or black spots on them from where the Vermitid worm's spider web is stinging them, or maybe it's a sweeper from a coral it will look like this
      : super glue up the source of the spider webs, it should look like a feather duster hole with 2 antennae reaching out, or move the coral or zoa out of sweeping range.

:This photo ^ also shows how I arrange a clear path for hermits to crawl around my Zoas and not over them, steep walls and frags on a plateau will keep them from climbing, but they need an easy route to travel on. (You can see the red skirt Zoas on the left look closed and bruised from being trampled over when the route was clogged with a plug)

:Overhangs and channels need to be built in between your rockwork, and you can build in fences to make them go around the long way, see the rocks sticking up on the left used to be the climbing path.
    • By bamburgb
      Im looking at setting up my older 30 gal biocube and wanting to kinda stay cheap on the lights, does anyone know of a cheaper LED light that has legs that would be able to go over the tank?

It currently has a metal hailide that i do not want to be using, and im trying to stay cheaper on this.