200 gallon deep dimension

pdxmonkeyboy

If you like acrylic, envision is a great option.  Yeah, you probably cannot build one for what James could, and certainly would be difficult to build a better one.  Top notch stuff so I hear...  I have a dry 5x5x2' envision cube in the garage, STILL waiting to set that sucker up...

He can make a pretty small top brace depending on what materials you use for the sides.  That way you can get some of the benefits of rimless (easier algae scraping) with allot lower cost.

I like acrylic myself, but that's a whole other thread derailing 'discussion' :)

Best of luck!

• Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 8:31 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

have not tried miracles. i got a quote from coast to coast.. $1,600 shipping??!? please.. is someone delivering it with an uber? and AGE.

the AGE is super super nice with a 1" pvc bottom. But still around $4,200 shipped.

customaquariums.com seems really cheap but I have read a couple horror stories about customer service.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am going through a similar process of getting prices from manufacturers.  Wondering where you found bad reports of Custom Aquariums and what were the details.  

13 hours ago, Trailermann said:

I am going through a similar process of getting prices from manufacturers.  Wondering where you found bad reports of Custom Aquariums and what were the details.  

I have read a couple reports online through a couple different forums.  You have to take all this stuff into consideration though, they have been around a long time and have made many more aquariums than the others.   So when that is the case, you up the odds significantly.  I have never made my choice solely based on a single review unless it is completely horrible.  But you do see emerging trends taking place.  

The final two in the running right now for me are AGE and Crystal Dynamic Aquariums.  There is also Oceans by Design in Bellingham.  They however don't want to build a rimless 6 foot long tank that is 3 foot deep and 24" tall.  They said their comfort limit is 22".

19 hours ago, TheClark said:

If you like acrylic, envision is a great option.  Yeah, you probably cannot build one for what James could, and certainly would be difficult to build a better one.  Top notch stuff so I hear...  I have a dry 5x5x2' envision cube in the garage, STILL waiting to set that sucker up...

Totally true. I looked a little at buying the acrylic myself, and the material cost alone was about the same or more than I paid James to make the whole thing (60"x 24"x 24" with internal plumbing and overflow, included bulkheads).

I looked over every seam before I filled it up, and couldn't find a single bubble or imperfection anywhere. He also said he uses thicker acrylic than is usually recommended, specifically so there is little to no flexing, and scratches can be removed without biting into the structural parts of the tank.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheClark said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting to see that tank setup!

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

The final two in the running right now for me are AGE and Crystal Dynamic Aquariums.  There is also Oceans by Design in Bellingham.  They however don't want to build a rimless 6 foot long tank that is 3 foot deep and 24" tall.  They said their comfort limit is 22".

That info from OBD would give me pause...   I think I would have too many sleepless nights with a rimless tank that size but, obviously, others have done it.  Maybe add a giant floor drain to your house mods?

So a little update as i have received quite a few emails about the 200.
Against my better judgement I ordered a 6x3x2 from AGE so the 200 is going.
I still have some work to do on the ghost style overflow and polish some of the glass where I removed the big gaudy corner overflows.

I will post pictures or just start a new thread when I am done. I am likely going to list it in the $750 range after looking at the time and materials I have put into it. It will be a SWEET tank for someone.

My first post stated that i was simply trying to gauge interest in the tank so I threw a number out there.

I figured if i could sell this setup without taking a total bath then I would upgrade to a larger tank.

It wasn't till I started actually working on everything that I discovered what a time suck it was so I took an honest look at everything and want to price it accordingly.

A new 200DD is around $1500 without a stand and without a beananimal setup and schedule 80 bulkheads.

It was never my intention to bait and switch, I apologize if it comes across like that.

My first post stated that i was simply trying to gauge interest in the tank so I threw a number out there.

I figured if i could sell this setup without taking a total bath then I would upgrade to a larger tank.

It wasn't till I started actually working on everything that I discovered what a time suck it was so I took an honest look at everything and want to price it accordingly.

A new 200DD is around $1500 without a stand and without a beananimal setup and schedule 80 bulkheads.

It was never my intention to bait and switch, I apologize if it comes across like that.

For what it's worth and I might be on my own on this one, but I think even 750 is fair as long as the tanks glass and such is in good shape. If I had it in the budget for all over the equipment needed to run it is buy it. I understand people seeing one price and then it changing but if you want it i bet monkey would work with ya!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

exactly. I'm not trying to hose anyone. I paid 1k for the setup a month ago and all I am keeping is the ocean motion.

It's a SWEET tank for sure. There are soo many opportunities for a cool aquascape.

I'll post it this weekend if i can manage to get it on the stand to take pictures.

Are you going to use this on the dream tank?
That was the plan. I submitted drawings to their engineering team.. the back panel looks like Swiss cheese so we will see what they say about it.

I'm excited about the new tank but i made the mistake of tallying up receipts for things I purchased for the new tank. Don't EVER do that.

10 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

That was the plan. I submitted drawings to their engineering team.. the back panel looks like Swiss cheese so we will see what they say about it.

I'm excited about the new tank but i made the mistake of tallying up receipts for things I purchased for the new tank. Don't EVER do that.

Haha -  Just think about how much you are spending on the new house, that will distract you!  Will be looking forward to seeing the new tank build :drool:

6 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

No and I understand where you are coming from. My bad for even posting as I had a few :laugh: 

I know they are not cheap tanks. And sucks you bought it and it wasn't what you were after.....

• Like 1