• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
       Another annual PNWMAS December holiday meeting success!
      This meeting we went with a change in venues and the decision to have it held at the Kennedy School was a good one. We rented out a class room for the club and provided some food and drinks, all which was staffed by the onsite restaurant. Very convenient.

There were some interesting pizza choices here. There was the classic pepperoni as well as a zucchini broccoli pesto. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

So many faces and so little  time, you would think that 3 hours would be enough but it was not. after all the raffles, white elephant gift exchange, frag swap, food & drink, there was just enough time exchange words with a few people. If I didn't get to converse with you or snap a photo I apologize, there will be a next time I assure you that. That being said, here are some shots of some mighty fine folks...

Our club treasurer and zoa collector Mr.Bret. He keeps our accounts in line and assists with obtaining and holding PNWMAS raffle prizes. Thank You Sir!...He is also the main man at Paradise Corals of Hillsboro, a collection of fine corals, fine art, and fine fishes..and lets not forget about the jellyfish and seahorses.
      Stylaster made it down from Washington and glad he did, he always brings some interesting conversation to the table. Another sponsor who has been apart of the PNWMAS for some time, Roy runs Pacific Corals in Long View Washington and brings in some island fire. Hope those little baby chalices work out for you, they are Sloooow growing, but beauties. And as you know, there will be more my friend.

Glittering like priceless gems is FancyFins. Another valuable member of our Board Of Directors. You may have seen her and Albertareef doing an outstanding job on announcements and raffles, not to mention their valuable input behind the scenes. Thank You Cherany.

Reefer madness playing with the PAR meter before it goes off to another set of hands. I got some montiporas you need to snag next time you run through Corvallis my friend. Make sure that urchin and cowrie stay in the sump though. Once the lights go out they will head towards your new frags like a heat seeking missile.

Danlu here, this guy is one innovative reefer. He has made a few designs to improve his reefing game and has been employing his 3D printer in his aquatics related business Reefi Labs. He makes some very impressive, efficient, and powerful LED lighting that I know grows some very colorful corals. I hope all those acros work out for you, if they don't I will get you some more...If they do, I will get you some more.

NRC enjoying the holiday cheer, there was certainly a festive cheer in the air making many people all around jolly. I wish I got to have some words with you but I made the mistake of divvying my time poorly. There will be another meeting next month so maybe I will se you then. Cheers my friend.

SASQUATCH FOUND! Derek used to be a zoanthid hoarder but has since moved into the realm of gorgonians. If you ever get back into the colonial polyp coral game get ahold of me first, and I will give you many of them back. And don't be afraid to drop me a line if you head south through Corvallis yeah.

Biochemrobyn, Congratulations!! And good luck with the move to Texas, it will be quite a change thats for sure. Hopefully you can find a reefer group as cool as ours here in the Pacific North West...Either way don't hesitate to drop in here once in a while and say whats up, most of us are not going anywhere soon.

Gumby, on the left, also made a long trip from Washington to attend the get together. Very cool guy! He has helped us with the boys and girls club events we have held and he does some aquarium work for tanks for teachers in the Vancouver Washington area...Not to mention he has a vast coral collection that would have many of us in envy...Much like Gill&Fin to the right here. She has some of the most beautiful systems around, so neat and tidy. She does great work for our PNWMAS club here behind the scenes acting as an important member of the Board of Directors. Thank You Holly, Thank You Jim.

On the far left we have Grassi, and on the far right we have Reefrun. I didn't get the chance to meet their son but I imagine we will cross paths again at a future meeting. Both very kind people who have a knack for reefing. If I had brought more cash I would have bought one of those corals you had but I spent my cash on food and raffle tickets. I need to get my priorities straight again.

Youcalmenny and his family center of the picture. If I am not mistaken he just got done making a move into a house. This probably means some upgrading at some point yeah. I wanted to talk some with you about that but you know how that goes. I am sorry I didn't get back at you after you threw me that chalice but I will most certainly get you back when your ready for a frag or two...Just give me the word.

Kai and his family also made it out to our little shindig. As far as the corals we were talking about Kai, you may need to dip them every few days for a couple weeks or get a wrasse who is hungry for small crustaceans and other inverts. Sometimes even beneficial copopods can bloom to such populations that they actually irritate the polyps themselves causing the retraction and irritation. Throw up a thread if you have any more questions yeah. nd good seeing you man.

FishoutofWater, another member who has been around for a little while. Here he is getting in on some of that raffle action we all love so much.Which to choose, which to choose? Ad as usual, there is no wrong choice, it's ALL good.

Kknight far right and her husband sitting at the cool kids table, as usual. Karen is our Head of the Tanks for Teachers and leads the way for several participants in the program.  Without her help there would be alot less marine activity in those kids classrooms. Thanks Karen. OH! And I barely missed that Fireball on the table, by a smidgen. Things were starting to get hot in here, a white elephant gift no doubt. It's Christmas early my friends.

From left to right people waiting for their number to be called it's Rick, Reefer Madness, his wife , JFry, and HigherThinking. There was so much loot in the raffles and so many participants in the gift exchange it wouldn't surprise me if almost everyone's number was called at some point...Okay, not everyone's, and not Andrew's, he isn't feeling that lucky streak. Just Joshin you Andrew. say hi to Lauren for us.

Or maybe it just has to do with that gift exchange?...Like DejaVu, this singing is ringing in my ears. Don't worry, this is one Bieber you would let near your mouth...Maybe? Spectra didn't make a showing so it had to go home with someone, hope he is alright with that.

Kelly Limpet on the left and OptimusPrime on the right.Dodge has some pretty nice zoas just growing awayin his tanks. If that Shazam doesn't work out for you let me know and I iwll get you another one. They are finicky at first but once they get growing it is pretty productive. Kelly here had the most amazing shirt I had seen all day, well next to Cherany's. He has a custom PNWMAS shirt that had me envious as soon as I saw it. I just love the back, so I took a picture.

Funny  thing is, as I read this I heard it at the same time in Don knotts's voice...Does that mean I am old or just well versed?

This picture came out Amazingly good, like it needs some Christmas reef around the edges and a bow. Just look at  . Emerald, CuttlefishndCorals, Kknight, and Sirena all in on the group hug. Kim is ourr fearles president who helps keep the ball rolling here at PNWMAS, we appreciate your hard work Kim.  Then Jeff in the center is a helluva team player here at PNWMAS, providing massive discounts for or Tanks For Teachers program along with finding us the best raffle prizes he can when we ask. He also happens to be one of our fine sponsors running the amazing Cuttlefish and Corals found in Portland Oregon. If your around the area you need to stop in his shop, there is a little bit of everything, you are sure to find something you want and need there. Karen as you know is our Tanks For Teachers leader and has served on the Board of Directors for quite a while now, thanks again Karen. Bottom we have the first lady, Sirena. She has done an astounding job contributing in all sorts of our PNWMAS affairs when she can. From planning and cooking to setup and logistics. We all are greatfull for those hours you put in to our club that go without being seen. Your Awesome!
      Some of these next pictures are from when we handed out the quizzes...That's right, we made reef quizzes for all the attendees and we even had prizes for the top scores. We had three categories containing what we Thought were appropriate questions for the three different difficulty levels, novice, intermediate, and advanced. If you see someone in one of these pictures Teed off, it is probably my fault.

Trailerman isn't afraid here, he has his thinking cap on and is doing just fine. There is alot to learn in this hobby and each category had some easy questions and some rather difficult ones. Even the beginner test had a couple ones that made you think. Super Fun!

Left is Sharklover and next to him is Ken. Both are getting busy on the quiz. These two are pretty trustowrthy guys. I don't have t worry about them using the cell phone or sharing answers. Let us know when you got your setups running and then maybe we can trade some frags.

I Also love this picture. They are clearly frustrated with yours truly. Who Writes this Stuff!? Far left is Paratore. He runs West Coast Corals, in Monmouth Oregon, and does a great job. He has some high end pieces for sure, better grab those sunglasses if your going to see those anemones and corals. Middle is R-3. As I have said a few times already, let me know when you want a couple corals for your newe setup and I will grab you something nice. Maybe some time I can come by and check things out. I love seeing other setups. Same goes for you Exodus, on the right. That is, if your still down. I got some frags for your new setup anyhow. 

Higher Thinking, Emerald, and Sirena laughing it up. These people all have some very good energy to them. Just enjoying themselves at another PNWMAS event.

Almost as much as this guy. Sharklover takes home the Gold...Apex that is. When I spoke with him it sounded like it is going to some good use. Congratulations.

Rick snagged the Vortech! OH, I think I actually wanted that one. As long as it is going to be used to grow coral I am happy I suppose. But really, congratulations as well.

Whoa, its the rare and elusive Badxgillen , looks like I am getting that winter coat for hibernation. Raffle wise I actually snagged myself a gift card for the Salem Oregon Premium Aquarium. Yet another amazing store full of goodness. Talk about a good excuse to go to Salem! Who want to roll with!?

And speaking of laughter, look at these three! I don't know whats making them laugh but I know that they crack me up. What a team we all make, its always a good time with the right chemistry of people. you probably know the people to right and to the left but in the middle we have Albertareef, a great asset to our club who rightfully sits on our PNWMAS Board Of Directors. Thank You Shaun.
      Well folks, thats about it for my brief recollections.
      I do want to make my usual thanks to all the office members, the Board Of Directors, the Sponsors, and all the PNWMAS crew that make all this possible. Most of you know it but some of you don't, and some just need a reminder, I Love you ALL. Much appreciated..Until next time...
      I hope you all enjoyed the party.

• By albertareef
      Hello all,
      It's almost time for the annual PNWMAS December Meeting/Holiday Party so thought it would be good to share some additional details.
      As noted in the save the date thread, this year's event will be at the McMenamin's Kennedy school location in NE Portland (https://www.mcmenamins.com/kennedy-school).  Our event will be from 1-4 PM on Saturday Dec. 2nd in the Jordan room which is located at the back of the building.  Directions and a map of the location are both available from the link above.  It is located just north of Killingsworth St.on 33rd ave.
      For those that don't know, this is the building that housed the Kennedy grade school (where I actually attended back in the day) and our meeting will be in one of the old classrooms - hope that doesn't cause anyone bad flashbacks!  There are many things to do there including a movie theater showing recent big release movies and a nice, heated, outdoor soaking tub as well as multiple small pub and restaurant spaces if anyone wants to make an adventure out of it.  There also appears to be rooms available for Friday and Saturday night for any out-of-towners who might want to get there early or stay late (too much beer perhaps?).
      Food:  The club will be providing some "snackable" pizza (small cut pieces) in a few varieties - Green w/ Envy, BBQ chicken, Margherita, and Pepperoni - as well as salad and non-alcoholic beverages (ice tea, lemonade, water).  If you would like something different or more substantial, you will be able to order "to go" in one of the restaurants and bring it back to our space.  For those wishing to enjoy one of the many adult beverages, there will be a dedicated server in the room to take drink orders (non-hosted).  As noted above, there are several dinning options in the building so you could come early/stay late and indulge in one of those options as well and keep your hand free for other activities during the meeting!
      Activities:  As you may have already noticed, our industrious VP, @badxgillen, has started a frag swap thread for this event
      and it sounds like we might have some action happening there so check it out.  Please note, we wont have a frag tank available.
      Also, as per usual, we will have a fantastic collection of items up for raffle again this year and you can keep track of those on the special raffle thread that @Emerald525 started for us...  Raffle tickets will be available for $5 each or 5 for $20 with paid members getting one free.
      There are plans to repeat the white elephant gift exchange (recommended value of $10) of "reef related" items (please ignore @spectra's Justin Bieber suggestions in the save the date thread - it will be better for all of us).
      To top it all off, I believe some of our more reef-geeky members (I will let you guess who) have been working on some trivia questions for you all!  Stay tuned!
      Not sure how we will fit all of this in but we will do our best!  Hopefully many of you will be able to make it and share some food, fun and reef-talk with the rest of us as we finish off another calendar year of PNWMAS-sponsored events.  It's been a great year for the club and hopefully all of you as well so let's celebrate it together.
      See you there!

• By badxgillen
      As promised, a thread starter for a Frag Swap at our December Meeting, I used my own previous template, so if it looks familiar...It is.
      Some of you may have heard that the December Holiday meeting coming up.
      In addition to the gift exchange and raffle there will be another one of those fine frag swaps we put on every few months.
      If you would like, you can do your trading on the fly by just bringing by a few pieces and hoping that some one will have a desirable coral you want...Or better yet, you can post up what you have to trade and work out a preemptive exchange here on the forums, that method always works best for me. You can feel free to use this thread to post your trade-ables in or start a thread of your own.
      But First, let me get you some of Bert's basis tips for success here.
      1.) make an attempt to have a fragment of reasonable size and health and try and get things cut and ready a few days to a week ahead of time to have the wounds healed up for the exchange. And double/triple check for pest invertebrates or algaes before sending your corals out, we try to keep invasives to a minimum here...And once you get your frags home, just in case, always acclimate the specimens then dip the corals before you put them into your personal aquarium. QT Aquariums are best but good old Revive, Coral RX, Melafix, Iodine, or Bayer will do much better at prevention than nothing.
      2.) Try to package your corals appropriately. This can mean not putting a spiny coral like birds nest into a thin dollar store bag or not utilizing insulation on an extended cold or warm trip. Try a small cooler or Styrofoam. If you can't find either of these and the destination is a long distance, keep the vehicle air conditioned or heated appropriately. As far as packaging goes you can double bag and use thicker mil plastics, or something else like a Tupperware or specimen container. I have even used washed out yogurt or cottage cheese containers that stack well inside the coolers. Just use something that will work, nothing like losing a nice and colorful animal because the bag got too cold and leaked all the water out on the way home.
      3.)Do your best to be courteous and fair to one another by not take advantage of each others ignorance or generosity. These are people of all levels in the hobby so give them the benefit of your knowledge and experience instead of the cold shoulder. And speaking of generosity, that giving nature has always been smiled upon here at PNWMAS and pay it forward tends comes back around these parts.
      Well, the meeting is not too far off now, about one month yeah.
      So Let's see em folks,  Whatcha Got!? Corals that is!
    • By badxgillen
      I know, You ALLLL want to hear about October 2017 North West Frag Fest... Well it was Freaking Amazing!!!

And for those of you who know me personally, know that "Freaking" is not the word that would be coming out of my mouth had you asked me this in person.

We were not quite sure what to expect for turnout but we were pleasantly surprised when people just started pouring in. I mean we had some pretty busy moments there.
      Of course, before that could all happen we had alot of ground to cover,/ The club, the volunteers, and the vendors.

Good thing we haves some of the best people out there on our PNWMAS team.

Miles was one of the Corvallis crew that made the long trip up to Washington early morning to get the setup under control. Thanks for the carpool Mile man, as always it was a pleasure getting some chat time in on the trip. Good company for sure. He has made a fine secretary for PNWMAS. He makes note of what goes on, makes great input on logistics, and is always happy to help. Thanks Miles!

Jim and Roy ot alot of things done before any of us got there including the power cords and surge protectors, salt water made up, and not to mention much of the logistics between the Boys and Girls club venue in general. Thanks man.Sean here on the right had the grueling task of being on the raffle team as well as getting the projector/screen worked out for us all. Sean is a great member of our BOD and a killer idea man. There is a good head on those shoulders thats for sure.Thank you Albertareef, Stylaster, and Gumby.

Cherany was enlisted as a raffle coordinator as well and she did a fine job. She handled the microphone exceedingly well and that little yellow purse sold a lot of raffle tickets I am sure.She has a well deserved seat on our BOD and brings a welcome opinion when it comes to decisions, ideas, and fine tuning various club agendas. Thank You Cherany!

Sirena hard at work setting up the food area with all the tasty goodies she fixes. She pours a ton of love into the club and we just love her back. Thank you Sirena!..I have to also mention that it is completely dark in the background outside as it is maybe 6 something AM when this pictures was taken. Early birds!
      Look at Golden Basket and TPA getting ready for the opening hour. Rudy and Garret have both been tremendous assets to the club over the years and are both very nice people with lots of experience behind them.

Jeff made a cameo and dropped off some more raffle prizes! This guy comes through with some crazy discounts and donations for the club. Always a generous guy, thanks a ton Jeff.

Unrivaled and Barrier Reef were side by side. This made for some very nice coral flats that did a great job of representing our Washington friends diversity. I know I will drop a few dollars in this strip of salt water goodness.

Natalia W, getting her ducks, I mean frags, in a row. Her team were veterans at setting up shop via booth/table events. Calm and collected she just talked the talk and walked the walk.

And this guy might be familiar to you all, if not by face then maybe by name...MattV was in the house with David A with StumpTown Corals. Always bringing some fire, these guys just got back from RAP a couple days before this event so they are definitely some die hard reefers here.

Kyle and His Wife Kiera setting up the Tampico Coral Farms table, the Mrs brought some very impressive coral jewelry to display as well. Very cool.

A shot for those of you who wanted tto see this crafty merchandise for yourselves...Or at least in picture on the forum.

I love this pic with Flashy Fins-Left, laughing while Albertareef-center, points in a scolding manner into the room , all while Gill&Fin smiles and shakes her hands explanation of whatever may be going on. A perfect example of the atmospheric feeling of happiness and good cheer. Holly does an amazing amount of behind the scenes work with the Officers and Board of Directors for the club not to mention she is an outstanding member of our community. Thank you Holly!

Lexxiinverts, our Vendor Relations, giving Rudy and the other sponsors a hand unloading and setting up. Andy is a stand up guy, super glad he is in our corner. Thanks man.

Karen AKA KKnight ran the door attendance for a while and boy was that a full time job, so glad we had so many volunteers ready and waiting to help where needed. Just in case you didn't know but she is currently our lead for our famous tanks for teachers program. Thank You Karen!

Roy or "Stylaster" setting up Pacific Corals for the event. This man helped get things all lined up with Jim before the doors opened. Ex President has done his share for the club  and continues to give, Thanks Roy!

I had a few pics of our beloved president but I chose this one for this thread in particular. There was so much good energy and vibe at this show it was astounding. All of us on the BOD and office make a great team accomplishing our goals so effortlessly as a whole, and we certainly are happy to have this lady lead us in her presidency, Thank You Kim!

Left we have The Clark and on the right here we have our own Bicycle Bill! Bill is one of the model citizens who always offers a hand when you need help, gives generously of his tank and corals, and makes great contributions in discussions via forum and in person. We love you Bill. And much love to the Clark, Jeremy here is one of our leading moderators and computer tech  guys, making short work of any of our website problems while being a cool cat and sharing his information and DIY projects with the rest of us.Thanks Jeremy!
      And another Shout Out to an Office member Mr Bret, our club Treasurer. He unfortunately could not make it to this event due to some more important family matters but never the less this guy contributes so much for the PNWMAS that I have t make sure he gets a mention for his contributions to the support of our club. Thank You Mr.Bret!
      Even though Scott is not on the BOD I want to also thank Spectra for the cooking done and setup efforts made along with just being a good guy. That was good Mexican food man, all the sides you made were spot on! 
      Also on the BOD that deserve thanks but are not in these pictures are the Amazing Chief who has helped keep this forum together on many occasions via your technical skills, and Zoolander, who has been a new helping hand in the PNWMAS endeavors. Thank You!

And then there is this guy... Bert or Badxgillen ...Not too sure what to say about this odd fellow. He does like his corals though, and he also likes this club thats for sure. I just do what I can when I can, and I must say It has been a pleasure working on this tteam, thank you for having me!

OH! And Don't let me forget about Joanne and her Spokkan Crew that came all the way over to join forces with the PNWMAS. Having the extra hands and input was great, we loved having them out with us and look forward to getting together for an even bigger and better experience next year. Looking forward to whatever comes out of our clubs teamwork. Thank You!

Zondebok was one of our volunteers, thanks for coming out man, the more the merrier yeah. Hope you snagged some tank loot for the new rock work.

What What!!! Colin from The Photiiczone ready too get it ON!!!

Optimus Prime Say Whaaaaat! That chalice has reached Beast size and the Euphylia rack is Stacked! Dodge on the left was of excellent help breaking down and assisting the vendors in the end, we all got out way earlier than we had anticipated because of all the awesome volunteers here., Thank You Prime!

BShot from behind the tanks, Reefrun grabbing some choice pieces from one of my main mans here Roy at Pacific Corals. She has good taste yeah.

Picoreefer You. Long time no see, as you can probably tell I am getting some mad photography experience in so I should be taking pictures of nano and your caliber any year now. But really, good seeing you man, wish I knew you were coming and I would have brought you a frag or tow. Always next time yeah.

SASQUATCH FOUND!!! But we all call him Derick from time to time. Another good guy here, he has a taste for the finer zoanthids and has recently started to delve into the gorgonians. Glad you could make it out Squatch, and thanks for the assistance man.

DJ from NWA, no attitude here though. Fun guy to chat with and get crazy about corals. I gotta come by and see some of those in person again.

Cody from West Coast Corals was able to make it over in time for the Frag Fest! I am sure Paratore found a few things worth while here. I mean who couldn't!?

Don't get mad Reefermadness, there is plenty of corals to go around for everybody. Mike here was able to snag a couple crazy corals and talk with our Garret  of TPA too  and get a special cowrie set aside for h back at the premium aquarium shop on the way back home.                      Now that's service!         And Mike...Lets make another Milwaukee run soon yeah.

Trailerman caught in the hypnotic gaze of the rare and elusive Monster chalice...Okay, maybe its not elusive, but it is rare.

Albertareef, PDXmonkeyboy, and Holly have a good talk amidst the chaos of what IS NW Frag Fest.

Hamby is Bad to the Bone here runniing shop and getting his  raffle on. I love these two guys, high energy and very cool to talk with. Their corals are pretty sweet too, and very well priced.

Gil&Fin, Colby, and Lex all taking a look at Pacific Island Aquatics newest accomplishments on cell phone. That man and his facility are going to be doing some big things in the future. Another person I am glad made it to the show and talk on sustainability.
      Ann speaking about sustainability!

Laura Simmons talk on sustainability, short chain acquisitions, and conscientious reef keeping was nothing short of enlightening.

When in doubt about a livestock purchase and its origins and possible impacts, feel free to ask questions to the seller, and then do a little research. A little homework goes a long way in this hobby.

So much of what we purchase goes through a number of hands and lands. We all fail to remember this. The slides shown made all the issues talked about very easy to intemperate and digest.

Long chain supply is typical of the profit driven markets that care little of the livestock or the lands they are acquired in. And due to the convolutednes of the situation it is hard for anyone to truly know how sustainable any part of the chain is.

Where as the short chain is much more transparent from having things straight forward.

Just look at how these species are initially caught then only distributed by a handfull of exporters before they almost become "bounced" around other exporter/importers. SHEESH!
      The trickle effect of finances becomes very apparent when portrayed in the fashion Laura presented.

.08 Cents per trigger, commonly inflated hundreds of times the Original value. Ultimately the low wages getting to the actual collectors is causing quite some strain on the whole environmental systems themselves via increasing pressures of unregulated fishing for fish collected.

And lets not forget about the illegal methods used in certain regions not to mention the complete lack of incentives and enforcement. But there  is some good  news out there.

Some examples of sustainable fisheries that are the leading model to follow, no surprise here is Australia at the peak.

And exactly what are we all shooting for here  our hobby for the long term?
      Powerful information as well as questions we have to ask ourselves.Great stuff from Laura here that was not what we typically have presented from a speaker.
      I would say it was a Success!!! Andy, Laura, and Colby feel the same!

Just look at that enthusiasm!....Well, actually this is Lex winning the MP40. But it certainly instills the mood I had about this wwole tthing. WHOOP WHOOP!!! Put those hands in the Air!
      And speaking of winning.

Karen took home the Vectra I believe. Nice score.
      I took home some nice pictures and good memories, If for some reason I didn't mention you personally here I apologize, out of 500 pictures I still didn't get a good shot of everyone. But know that I appreciate everyone of you and I Thank You All.
      I mean it though, the people, the officers, the Board of Directors, the club itself...Thank You so much for making all of this a reality...As I quite often leave these posts ended with a nod of encouragement and thanks.

You All Rock!!!
                                                                                                     Reef On!

• By badxgillen
      Well folks, it was an amazing workshop provided by the fine folks at the Hatfield Marine Science Center yesterday. I procedures performed were both engaging and informative while at the same time very entertaining. Sid and his assistant Mallory did an amazing job in their diagnostic procedures and shared much of the nitty gritty that goes on in a routine fish anesthesia and examination.
      I suppose that I should back up just a bit and mention a few things about the day before hand.
      As most of you know it has been rather hot lately but here at the Newport coast it was a mild 70 degrees with not a cloud in the sky.

It was also nice to have the majority of the area to ourselves at first. Not too many people had arrived yet so it appeared we had beat the crowds.

Here we are, back at the good ole Hatfield Marine Science Center. I am starting to have very good memories from attending the PNWMAS meets and getting to meet some of the good people behind making it the special place it is.
      Lets take a peek inside..

Right after the front desk and greeted by the overtly talkative old timer you get a visual overload of things to look at first of which is the tide pool replica touch systems that are full of colorful wild inverts of all shapes, sizes,  and colors.

In these pics I only captured a couple anemones and urchins but there was several mollusks such as muscles and snails as well as a Huge sea cucumber of sorts that had to be as big as my fore arm.

Lots of educational displays to accommodate the the many aquariums, bones/fossils, replicas, and interactive demos. Looks like Albertareef and Jeremyeveans found the tropical reef area.

Can't leave without taking a look at the tank with the PNWMAS corals.

The devils hand and the Plerogyra is going into beast mode. I kinda wanted to ask about a frag of the table acro in the center but I had nothing on me to trade, maybe next time. The Capricornus also had an interesting growth pattern to it, some big colonies in there now.
      The majority of the aquariums are temperate/coldwater tanks that house all types of fish and invertebrates.

In addition to the tropical and cold water systems there are a few fresh water things going on too.

All with their own educational or artistic value. There was even a new Rio Negro south american tank on display full of discus, pencil fish, and nice rummy nose & cardinal tetras. 

and for those of you who have not visited the HMSC before or it has been a little while make sure you do. The pictures provided by myself and others do not do justice to the facilities well kept aquariums livesstock and the educational interativities...Okay Okay, I will get to the demo.
      This year was very different from the usual behind the scenes tours we have had in the past at HMSC. Right off the bat we were diverted into the west wing of the science center and into the animal health area containing a quarantine and treatment facility made for housing various marine specimens both tropical and cold water. There are very large pump buildings that pull water from out the Newport coast here and bring it through plumbing into the various holding tanks for efficient clean salt water on demand.

You probably all know Sid from the Hatfield Marine Science Center, AKA Intothemystic, and introducing his assistant Mallory.