Opae ula vase

Jack-the-reefer

Well, the tide pool has been put back into the garage, again... In the meantime, I'm going to set up a simple vase and keep some opae ula shrimp. 

The vase holds just over two gallons. It's cycling with sand from the beach and some rocks from my old tank. There won't be any filter, heat, or light on this. It'll get a little sunlight, but that's it. 

IMG_2314.JPG

• Like 3

Jack that's awesome!!!  I too went for the taller look.  I anticipate breeding the little buggers though with the intention of creating gift giveaway shrimp bubbles like that.  That vase is really awesome and I love the rocks.  Is that two-three rocks?  How did you attach them?  I ordered some lengths of 1/4" acrylic dowels that I will drill/glue mine together with.  Here's the tank I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Yet another peculiar but awesome tank by Jack! Curious to see how this does, would love one on my desk at work!

btw, every time I go to Ikea and see all the vases I think to myself “Jack would make a tank out of that I bet!” :joking:

Ha! Aubry always finds me eyeing the glass vases at tj maxx and has to drag me away before something happens. 

And they would do great on your desk. They're the same shrimp that come in those ecosphere things. It's a zero maintenance setup once it's established. 

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2017 at 12:47 PM, Jack-the-reefer said:

Gas exchange won't be a problem. The lid is nowhere near a perfect seal. It's just enough to keep evaporation down. 

If the lid is keeping evaporation down, it is also limiting gas exchange. This means the difference in keeping them alive for a year or two vs. keeping them going for up to twenty years. I’ve had mine for six years.

9 hours ago, xmas_one said:

If the lid is keeping evaporation down, it is also limiting gas exchange. This means the difference in keeping them alive for a year or two vs. keeping them going for up to twenty years. I’ve had mine for six years.

Well that's a good point. Not sure why I didn't think about that. I'll take the lid off tonight. 

Do you have any pictures of your tank? I'd love to see your setup. Do you have any plants? I've read a little about people growing Java ferns in brackish water. 

Edited by Jack-the-reefer

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my tank up and ordered 20x Opae Ula from Shrimp Mart.  They'll be here Monday and I'll post some pictures.  

I have a chunk of chaeto wedged in the rock structure I built that seems to be doing OK but we'll see.  How are the marimo doing @Jack-the-reefer?  That green algae xmas is growing seems to be their favorite food according to my source.  I'm hoping since I have some minimal flow and a little bit of added light that the macro will thrive.  

3 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

Finally got my tank up and ordered 20x Opae Ula from Shrimp Mart.  They'll be here Monday and I'll post some pictures.  

I have a chunk of chaeto wedged in the rock structure I built that seems to be doing OK but we'll see.  How are the marimo doing @Jack-the-reefer?  That green algae xmas is growing seems to be their favorite food according to my source.  I'm hoping since I have some minimal flow and a little bit of added light that the macro will thrive.  

Cool!  I will be curious to see how this turns out.   I have plenty of Java fern if you decide you want to try some.  BTW - I love that there is such a thing as "Shrimp Mart".

• Like 1

Shipment arrived 2 days late and DOA.  :(  Now to wait for the replacements.  Boo.

20171122_162121.jpg

Here's my tank though.  Chaeto seems to be doing well and growing a little.  I used acrylic rods and IC-gel to build the little dryrock structure.  5g Marineland Portrait aquarium with internal overflow and return and everything.  Pretty fun.

20171122_172429.jpg

Not much to update. Everything seems to be doing great. 

It's tough to get decent pictures of them since they're so small. They're actually a lot more active than I expected too. I would definitely recommend these to anyone that wants a very low maintenance tank for their office desk. 

713FED42-1105-4850-A9C8-7C4289A23B7B.jpeg

67F8A384-918A-41BD-801E-D3F75EA236A3.jpeg

• Like 3