Pending Death or is my BTA just mad

mykayaknme

Hi all,

New member here and will get right to my question.

Tank was running great, no issues no crashes and its been 4 months now.

The BTA was added about 3 weeks ago.

I left town for 3 days last week and hubbie destroyed my salinity and PH with water changes (who knows why he didnt just leave it alone).

Anyway, managed to get things stable for a couple days but now ive been dealing with ammonia spikes, etc. 

Did a 40% water change, stabilized parameters and now my BTA looks like will die any second. Most of the other corals seem okay except for one.

I have a new 29 gallon tank cycling ( only 2nd week).

Should i move the filter foam , live rock and sand from the 7 g. Nano to the other tank and move the BTA with fingers crossed or? Hard to see with the darn crab in there but its been very dark with kinda stringy tentacles and more open.

Also my Ricordia keeps positioning inder a mushroom coral? Didn't know they could relocate themselves?

Im actually about to run over to cuttle fish for RO water as my device has not arrived yet and will ask there as well.

Dont want to lose the BTA so im panicking.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

15042797583241375790228.jpg

15042799420141447097999.jpg

Well it bubbled back up.  Usually a sign that it's happy.  Usually on the way to death I've seen BTA's shrivel up into a little sad lump and then die.  As with all inverts, things can be stressful once damage is done.  In my own experience with nem's if it's not dead already and you've corrected the parameters then it should recover.  Give it a krill!

Edited by youcallmenny

Well it bubbled back up.  Usually a sign that it's happy.  Usually on the way to death I've seen BTA's shrivel up into a little sad lump and then die.  As with all inverts, things can be stressful once damage is done.  In my own experience with nem's if it's not dead already and you've corrected the parameters then it should recover.  Give it a krill!
Yes it does look a little better though still dark.
So, I just rechecked water param. again and ammonia and nitrates are fairly high.
Guess all I can do is water changes till things settle.
So irritating, hubbie owes me a bottle of wine for crashing my tank!

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Welcome - sorry to hear about your tank stress but wise to seek input!  I would agree with youcallmenny here in that they can look a lot worse than that on the way out and even start to detach so seems like a good chance at recovery - keep an eye on it though since, if they do go, they can foul your tank very quickly.  As long as you stay on top of parameters though I bet you will be OK.  Good luck!

Welcome - sorry to hear about your tank stress but wise to seek input!  I would agree with youcallmenny here in that they can look a lot worse than that on the way out and even start to detach so seems like a good chance at recovery - keep an eye on it though since, if they do go, they can foul your tank very quickly.  As long as you stay on top of parameters though I bet you will be OK.  Good luck!
Thank you!

41 minutes ago, mykayaknme said:

Yes it does look a little better though still dark.
So, I just rechecked water param. again and ammonia and nitrates are fairly high.
Guess all I can do is water changes till things settle.
So irritating, hubbie owes me a bottle of wine for crashing my tank!

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about the stress.  We all relate for sure.  I myself found that the salinity game got a lot easier with a digital refractometer.