What frozen food brand is the best?

katarian

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to move back to frozen food. All my fish stopped eating frozen food after I introduced them to flake food (I ran out of frozen food I had, and didn't have money to muy frozen that time).

So I'm looking for flats, something good and cheap at the same time.

What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Long term, making your own frozen food and freezing large batches of it is rather efficient. But I would say easy to use and not too expensive are the Hikari flats I mentioned. There are certainly comparable brands with varying qualities so maybe just do a little research on what goes into certain "blends". If you don't have too many fish/tanks many people will tell you to simply bite the bullet and grab a  reasonably priced higher quality frozen food mixture that accommodates the majority of tank inhabitants. I personally have a number of fish so I purchase several types of individual frozen food packs and mix them accordingly such as krill, mysis, spiralina enriched brine shrimp, "plankton", and blood worms. I also like using a good pelleted food to give them in between frozen foods. Variety is a good thing hence the popularity of the reputable frozen blends.

• Like 4

I'm a huge fan of Rod's.  There's a fish-only flat that is pretty cheap.  The full reef packs are about ~$20-25 each but I've had excellent luck using it.  I feed formula 1/2 pellets mixed up daily and Rod's 2x/week.  Aside from the recent ich adventure, my fish have always been really fat and happy!

• Like 1

I have noticed over the Years Fish aren't to picky and don't seem to mind when you feed them no variety. I personally like Mysis Shrimp Hikari is cheap, and Rod's Food. Rod's has a bunch of different things in it, so I usually cut a small piece off and toss it in the glass to thaw with the Mysis shrimp, and a couple times a week I add Reef Chilli to the mix to ensure the corals are getting fed as well. It also depends on how many fish you have and how often you feed.

11 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Long term, making your own frozen food and freezing large batches of it is rather efficient. But I would say easy to use and not too expensive are the Hikari flats I mentioned. There are certainly comparable brands with varying qualities so maybe just do a little research on what goes into certain "blends". If you don't have too many fish/tanks many people will tell you to simply bite the bullet and grab a  reasonably priced higher quality frozen food mixture that accommodates the majority of tank inhabitants. I personally have a number of fish so I purchase several types of individual frozen food packs and mix them accordingly such as krill, mysis, spiralina enriched brine shrimp, "plankton", and blood worms. I also like using a good pelleted food to give them in between frozen foods. Variety is a good thing hence the popularity of the reputable frozen blends.

Yes, what Robert said!

Hikari flat packs, ocean plankton.  

Does not seem to contribute at all to algae growth.  I have had cyano and algae blooms with other foods.  I supplement this with Nori sheets.  

I learned this from several of the greats including @stylaster and @Arsonmfg

Fish are healthy, tank is clean, makes me happy.

Just one opinion of course :)