Generator Extension Cord

shaywood

Kind of depends on whats going to plug into it also. How many things? Is the aquarium one simple plug and its done or are you adding multiple plugs to it?

I would agree with above though go at least 10 gauge as its 20 amps............here is one not cheap but cry once and pay once............https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-50-ft-20-Amp-110-Volt-10-Gauge-Yellow-Outdoor-Extension-Cord/3191749

38 minutes ago, Fisher15 said:

2000 watts at 120 volts requires just under 17 amps.  So go with 20 amp wire or #12.  I would wire it with house wire and box both ends. 

I was going to suggest that as a less expensive option than a long extension cord - those can get pretty pricy.

Thanks for the input.  I think I want to use an extension cord, rather than installing boxes and using #12 wire.  If the entire tank pulls less than 1000 watts, so I really need 20 amp wire?  I realize the generator is rated at 2000 watts, but I'll use 1/2 that.

Edited by shaywood

• 2 weeks later...

if i can chime in.. you most certainly do not want to run an extension cord in your crawl space. things (small mammals) will find it a tasty snack.

It will be cheaper to buy a small roll of 12/2 MC cable (that is the flexible metal conduit) and a metal duplex outlet and do it properly.

again.. this would be for a temporary thing. power goes out, you run it and use it then put it away when you are done. Neither romex or mc cable is rated for exterior use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

if i can chime in.. you most certainly do not want to run an extension cord in your crawl space. things (small mammals) will find it a tasty snack.

It will be cheaper to buy a small roll of 12/2 MC cable (that is the flexible metal conduit) and a metal duplex outlet and do it properly.

again.. this would be for a temporary thing. power goes out, you run it and use it then put it away when you are done. Neither romex or mc cable is rated for exterior use.

Plastic insulation is indeed tasty... or so I have heard from the many rodents around our parts.

plastic is tasty but rubber... yumm!

i was a kid, maybe like 8? and my dad told me to get the snowmobiles ready for winter. i had kind of forgot to put plywood around my snowmobile during the summer.

i opened the hood of the snowmobile and this possum stood up and hissed at me. I almost shat myself!

after dispatching the offender with my bow and arrow i discovered he ate EVERYTHING! Belts, ignition wires, switch wires..

so yeah... no free hanging wires in your crawl space

• Like 1