Red Sea Reefer 750XXL build with remote sump

RobMBush

Finishing up my latest build: Red Sea Reefer 750XXL with the remote sump and lots of extras plumed to my garage.  We are planning to go more stony corals this round so it was time for a fresh start. It’s been up for about a week. (My prior marineland 200DD starphire CL setup is available, PM if interested)

Build specs:

Display

Red Sea Reefer 750XXL

Neptune Apex controller

Lighting: Kessil 360WE x 4 programmed from my apex. Using kessil mounts and extension poles fixed to the cabinet.

Flow: MP60QD, MP40QD currently running a tidal swell program.

Rock: about 300lbs very large pieces of kaelini rock I've had for close to 15 years.  

Sand: 160lbs of Figi pink caribsea

Sump/filtration:

Remote configuration.  Plumbed into existing red sea display plumbing with metric to standard adapting schedule 80 unions made by spears. 

Vectra M1 dedicated display return.

Vectra L1 powering a manifold for all filtration components and additional tanks.

Emperor Aquatics 80W UV sterilizer

MRC ORCA pro II skimmer

MRC custom skimmer waste collector (arriving next week)

MRC CR818 calcium reactor (arriving next week)

Skimz reactors zeovit and media both rated at 2000L.  I’m not currently running Zovit and am just using the reactor to house seachem matrix media to increase biofiltration.  I am running GFO in the media reactor currently.

35 Gallon frag tank

20 gallon water change/emergency QT tank (I run two 80 gallon stock tanks with a big hydor canister filter when I need a full QT system)

35Gallon RODI top off tank

Aqua FX octopus 100gpd RO/DI

Kessil H150 purple grow light over refugium chamber

Frag tank:

35 Gallon acrylic tank that is likely to be replaced with a 36 * 24 * 12 frag tank in the near future.

Kessil 160we

Flow MP10QD

IMG_20170822_191449.jpg

IMG_20170825_202104.jpg

IMG_20170825_202332.jpg

21 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Impressive setup!  Some nice large pieces of Rick in there as well. Looks like you repurposed the lighting from your previous tank - looks good!  Have fun filling that up with some coral 👍

Thanks!  Actually sold my original Kessil 350Ws and updated to new 360WEs for better intensity and so I could control them with the Apex.  Still love the look of the Kessils over any other lights currently. 

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

Very nice.  Were you able to purchase the 750 without the lights?  Where did you buy it an how much was it?  I'm in the market for a new tank and have considered going this route.  Would love to hear some details.  

Jeff at Cuttlefish and corals in Portland got me a great deal on it and it was apparently a canceled pre-order so I got it a few weeks ago.  I think they retail for $3099 without lights for the black stand version. Give them a call as I'm sure he would help you out on a good deal. 

Awesome tank though. 3/4 glass throughout.  My only complaint is the stand is assembled with cam locks similar to ikea furniture so I went a bit farther to reinforce with stainless steel bracing. 

Good stuff.  I'm pretty sure I actually was looking at your tank then the last time I was in there.  That's what prompted my interest in the RSR series to begin with!  Small world I suppose. 

Would you be so kind as to take a picture or two of your reinforcement?  I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself but I'm curious what kind of workload I'd be looking at. 

Edited by youcallmenny

Its easy.  Heavy gauge stainless steel shelf brackets in each corner top and bottom and on the center support.  Realistically the stand is fine as is since Red Sea has to stand behind it but I feel a littl e better with the added support. Deflection is the enemy here as the 3/4" marine plywood that its built out of should be able to handle the weight just fine. 

IMG_20170826_140236.jpg

IMG_20170826_140212.jpg

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

Ah, easy enough.  Yea I'm really liking the idea of a 525xl.  Did your non-deluxe (that's what I want) come with a sump?  Would be nice if no.  I want to recycle most of my gear except for the skimmer.  I don't think a RO-150SSS would cut it. 

Yeah.  Minimal plumbing and sump were included in the system.   I ended up cutting into the plumbing and using some metric to standard adapter unions to tie into standard schedule 80 pipe. If you leave the sump under the stand where intended all you would need is a return pump to get water flowing. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

Oh so jealous! Nice to have everything nice and organized in a different room! Very nice! The Red Seas are awesome and love how organized all your equipment is! Do you want to come over and make all the crap in my sump look more organized? ... :laugh:

Yeah - I'm always jealous of those who can organize the chaos like this... especially if they can run remote in a nice waterproof environment.  Water leaks on the dinning room hardwood floor are no fun :shock:

7 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Oh so jealous! Nice to have everything nice and organized in a different room! Very nice! The Red Seas are awesome and love how organized all your equipment is! Do you want to come over and make all the crap in my sump look more organized? ... :laugh:

Hah! No I dont think the wife would allow it! I have too many more projects and a 5 month old little guy to chase around! It's technically his tank anyway,  I'm just the maintenance guy :)

• Like 2

• 7 months later...