September Club Meeting!

Gil&Fin

When?  Saturday, September 23, 2017, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Where?  All Things Aquarium, 30789 SW Boones Ferry Rd, Wilsonville, OR 97070

What?  Food, fish, and fun!  We're lucky to get club member milesmiles902, who is a graduate researcher in physical chemistry at OSU, to do an "enlightening" presentation on florescent proteins.  Hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and drinks will be provided.  Feel free to bring a side or dessert to share, but it's not required.  Everyone will get a free raffle ticket (one per family, please), and supporting club members will get two.  There will be no ticket sales, so everyone who attends gets a chance to win!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

We're lucky to get club member milesmiles902, who is a graduate researcher in physical chemistry at OSU, to do an "enlightening" presentation on florescent proteins.

I see what you did there...

Should be a great meeting.  Really looking forward to hearing Miles' talk as we make use of some of these compounds regularly in research... plus it's just cool!

• Like 3

Last meeting at Erin's place was Great! The courtyard next to his building worked perfect for the last presentation we had there. And I am sure the shop will be stocked and loaded with fish and coral for us to browse through, last couple trips I found some gems in the acropora section so I will swoop in and see what I can add to my collection this time around.

It's gonna be a good time for sure.

• Like 5

Only 2 1/2 weeks until the ATA meeting in Wilsonville!  We have a Big Ticket raffle item for this meeting--a VorTech MP40 Quiet Drive propeller pump!  Everyone will have a chance to win.  Erin, the owner of ATA, is pulling out all the stops and will have a great selection of fish and coral ordered especially for the event.  As if that wasn't enough, Miles' presentation on florescent proteins is a must-see.   See you all on Saturday the 23rd at noon!

• Like 7

Great news ATA and Gill&Fin, I love it when a stores shipments just come in. It makes it for some fascinating livestock that have yet to be cherry picked through, and everyone knows a well stocked salt water reef store is reason enough to come out. Add in a BBQ, speaker, raffle, and your favorite PNWMAS reefer crew and it becomes something you don't want to miss. And In addition to the VorTech, I have been informed we will also be having raffle drawings for several mini coral frag packs including...

A trio of some fine looking acroporas.

SAM_2754.JPG

SAM_2750.JPG

SAM_2749.JPG

And something for the Zoa lovers out there.

SAM_2799.JPG

SAM_2801.JPG

SAM_2795.JPG

AND, to go with the current Photo Of The Month scheme, we have a Big ol Softy shroom here up for grabs as well.

SAM_2757.JPG

It has some "Bounce" to it thats for sure..Me Likey very much ;)

• Like 6

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up to make it to the September club meet! It's going to be a good one. I'll be giving a talk about the basics of fluorescent proteins or in reality, what makes coral glow. 

I thought this would be a cool interactive website to help you put in perspective what protein causes the glowing and let you interact with it on your own time. If you are a bit confused, come to the talk and I'll explain it in more detail.

http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/jmol.do?structureId=1EMA&opt=3&bionumber=1

*Non-mobile device required.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, milesmiles902 said:

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up to make it to the September club meet! It's going to be a good one. I'll be giving a talk about the basics of fluorescent proteins or in reality, what makes coral glow. 

I thought this would be a cool interactive website to help you put in perspective what protein causes the glowing and let you interact with it on your own time. If you are a bit confused, come to the talk and I'll explain it in more detail.

http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/jmol.do?structureId=1EMA&opt=3&bionumber=1

*Non-mobile device required.

This might be the first time we have had a link to the Protein Data Bank posted on site.  Nice job Miles :highfive:

• Like 1

Tomorrow's the day! Really looking forward to this. All Things Aquarium is a great shop, and I'm really looking forward to Miles' presentation too.

We're having hamburgers and hotdogs chips and drinks. Bring your favorite side dish or dessert to share! Can't wait to see you all soon.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 2