Can't raise magnesium

Trailermann

For all those who followed along on my excruciating journey to solved the salt mix problem, I can now confirm that my refractometer calibration fluid was the culprit.  

I suspected that there was an easy answer, and I finally found it.

Now to carefully and slowly bring my display water up to the right level.

I've tried DIY refractometer calibration fluid from below link.  Instead of using measuring cups, I purchased a digital kitchen weight accurate to 0.01g but max at 500g (~1lb).  Seems to work very well.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php#18

In case anyone is interested in the digital weight scale:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4KX6JQ

Don't know how the fluid was so bad.  Maybe it has been off since I bought it a while ago.

With Jeff's suggestion, I as now using distilled water to get a zero reading.  Wondering if the commercial fluid set at 1.035 is more accurate or dependable?

Wait, I just followed danlu_gt's link to Reefkeeper's article on refractometers.  And then it occurred to me that I simply misread the meter's instructions.  I was adjusting the meter to 1.035 rather than 1.026.  Stupidly mislead by the reference to 35ppt.  That mistake obviously is what lead me to weeks of frustration and weeks of harmful display tank conditions.  Un-frigging-believable!

But in my defense, why is there a continual reference to 35 ppt?  Is there any instrument that measures in this way?

I think I should just forget about it and move on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...