Can't raise magnesium

Trailermann

I recently switched to Fritz salt mix. and got crazy low chemistry numbers.  I learned that previous users of Red Sea salt mix had big problems with the change over.  So for the next batch, I carefully washed out all my mixing barrels with vinegar and fresh water.  The next 35 gallon batch still had low numbers:  Kh of 5.3, Ca pf 320 amd Mg pf 1000.  So I started dosing magnesium supplement in advance of Ca and kH adjustments.  Based on previous adjustment for my 30 gallon nano, I tossed in 30 ml and the Mg number barely budged.  So three subsequent additions of 40 ml only raised the Mg level to 1120.  All this is in the salt mix barrel, not the display tank.

I heard that raising Mg can be a bugger, but this is ridiculous.  Should I just keep added supplement to get the number closer to 1350, or am I doing something wrong?

Help me!

btw, if I can ever get this batch adjusted prior to water changes, I will address why the Fritz is out of line with its specs.  

paul

Now I am trying to solve why the parameters of my salt water mix using Fritz Pro salt is so out of whack.  All the readings are way low even though I carefully followed their mixing instructions.  C&C gave me a sack of their fresh mix to try and I still have low readings.  

Can't wait to talk with the Fritz technicians in the morning.  I suspect that I must be doing something wrong.

RODI water with zero TDS.

Proper salinity and water temperature.

Refractometer recalibrated.

Slow addition of salt crystals.

Red Sea test kit confirmed by LFS.

I am totally baffled. 

Edited by Trailermann
forgot to mention recalibration.

2 hours ago, Trailermann said:

cal solution.  Latest effort to solve mystery. I just got a few jugs of RO water from Wet World, trying to see if possibly there is something funny about my RODI system.  Testing salt with new water "as we speak".

Good luck.  This has me intrigued so keep us posted.  

The different source of RO water did not make any difference!

So, here is the email I just sent to the salt company's manager:

Thanks for returning my call yesterday.  The case of your salt I have been having trouble with is marked with lot #29162.  
I have measured salinity with two different refractometers, both adjusted with a calibration solution.  
I only used RO water with zero TDS reading. 
I have made mixes carefully multiple times, in varying quantities (30 gal, 5 gal, 2 gal) all with consistently low readings of kH, Ca, and Mg.  The water temperature was between 70 and 75 degrees, and salinity from 1.023 to 1.026.
I compared the testing results of my Red Sea test kit with those at two different retailers.
I mixed two additional batches using crystals from a case that was being used (without problems) by Cuttlefish and Corals (Portland, Oregon).  I even used a different RO source (LFS) and it made no difference.
Unless you have another suggestion, I plan to take my salt to the LFS and watch while they mix up just a few gallons with their RO water.  Is it possible that my mixing methodology is terribly wrong?
Or is it possible that all my buckets, barrels, tubs etc have been contaminated by previous Red Sea/Kent salts, even though I thoroughly prewashing each with vinegar and fresh water?
Wish me luck.  Jeff at Cuttlefish has touted your product so strongly that I REALLY do want to use your products.
Paul

The mystery continues...

Thanks for the update Paul.  Really curious how this turns out.  I actually haven't tried the Fritz yet so can't really offer any first hand experience on mixing results but I know quite a few others on here have switched over since Jeff started stocking it.

Update: Fritz salt is not the problem! I have zeroed into my BRS RODI unit that I have been using for about two years. That seems to be the culprit in spite of zero TDS readings. But still stumped. With Jorge's help, I ran my RODI with the BRS flush valve open (black valve in line with the tubing), my test numbers were good. But that means that I am flushing and not forcing as much water through the membrane. The good water production is much slower. So, I am now making up RODI water both ways to see the difference. My latest step in solving this puzzle: Change all the media/filters in the RODI unit. I just place the order and my fingers are crossed.

Update: Fritz salt is not the problem!I have zeroed into my BRS RODI unit that I have been using for about two years. That seems to be the culprit in spite of zero TDS readings.But still stumped. With Jorge's help, I ran my RODI with the BRS flush valve open (black valve in line with the tubing), my test numbers were good. But that means that I am flushing and not forcing as much water through the membrane. The good water production is much slower. So, I am now making up RODI water both ways to see the difference. My latest step in solving this puzzle: Change all the media/filters in the RODI unit. I just place the order and my fingers are crossed.
Curious what could be coming out of the RO unit that causes Ca, ALK, and Mg to precipitate out so much?

Have you try making some from regular tap water to see if Ca, ALK, and Mg are consistently low?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Made salt water with tap water (no RO) and got same results.
Still experimenting!
Just to rule out the reflectometer, how much salt per gal of water did you use? With Instant ocean, it's roughly 1 cup for 2 gal. I would imagine other salt brands would be similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As of 3:30 today, I might have solved my mysterious problems with magnesium, Fritz salt, and all my water parameters.  In spite of triple checking my salinity, it appears that my calibration fluid was way off and my display water was 1.015!  Now I'm adjusting the new salt water mix and hope that the three parameter results are finally in line.

Next will be to slowly raise the salinity in the display tanks.

If this does not work, I will give away all gear to the homeless and join a monastery.