WTT cuttlefish and eggs

EMeyer

Last week my cuttlefish got busy, and this morning I spotted a big cluster of eggs! Who wants some? Guess I dont have permissions to post in Classified yet so I'll put these up for trade instead. 

I have one (extra) dwarf cuttlefish - trained to eat frozen krill or shrimp - $50 or equivalent trades

I have 6 cuttlefish eggs and counting - $5 ea or equivalent trades

Coolest pets ever... 

Edited by EMeyer

A little under 1 cm when they hatch. The eggs are the size of blueberries. I used an airstone and breeding net to keep them aerated and gently bouncing around for the incubation period. When I ordered them, they took just over two weeks to hatch. My guess is since these were laid last night they probably have 3 weeks to go.

I'll post some pictures when I get home. 

The canonical answer is mysis shrimp. And they do love mysis shrimp. But mysis shrimp suck to keep alive long term, and shipping aint cheap. This first time through, I followed this progression:

mysis->amphipods->saltwater grass shrimp->freshwater shrimp/minnows/goldfish->frozen krill

Next time, I'm gonna try to simplify and cheapify the progression:

amphipods->freshwater shrimp/minnows/goldfish->frozen krill

I dont think theyd ever eat something as small as baby brine shrimp. They did eat adult brine shrimp but since those are widely considered not a nutritious food source unless specially enriched, I didnt make that part of my progression.

Once theyre on frozen krill its easy mode. Twice a day I thaw some krill, put it on a wooden skewer, and hand feed the cuttles. Until theyre trained onto frozen, its live food all the way. Think big -- my cuttlefish have eaten spiny lobsters, arrow crabs, and giant hermit crabs 2-4 times their size. They have no interest in small things but if its an arthropod approximately half their size or bigger, they will eat it. I have not found an upper limit yet.

Edited by EMeyer
  • Like 1

Looks like most are spoken for but its unclear whether fmorris can arrange to get them before I go out of town and the opportunity is over.

I see youre in Portland too, Omoluabi, maybe one of you would like to drive down to Corvallis sometime in the next couple days? I leave town Aug 9 and I expect theyll hatch just before I return ~Aug 25.

Edit and update: I took apart the rocks so I could get the eggs and count them. Turns out I have 9, happily bubbling in my incubator now. So that makes the current tally

2 for badxgillen

3 for fmorris

want to take the rest?

Edited by EMeyer

Looks like most are spoken for but its unclear whether fmorris can arrange to get them before I go out of town and the opportunity is over.
I see youre in Portland too, Omoluabi, maybe one of you would like to drive down to Corvallis sometime in the next couple days? I leave town Aug 9 and I expect theyll hatch just before I return ~Aug 25.
Edit and update: I took apart the rocks so I could get the eggs and count them. Turns out I have 9, happily bubbling in my incubator now. So that makes the current tally
2 for badxgillen
3 for fmorris
want to take the rest?

My birthday the 24 of August I'm free the whole weekend maybe I could drive down Sunday the 27th to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: The cuttlefish laid MORE eggs last night. 

Bert, if the eggs I brought you yesterday dont hatch, I've got your backups right here! (Thanks again for the frags)

I've got about six eggs in the incubation chamber and a bunch more now in the tank. Ill return to town on Aug 25 and will update here with the status of those eggs.