Gas versus Diesel Looking for car advice

Emerald525

I know there are a lot of car and mechanical people. Sirena and I enjoyed camping so much and fishing that I want to get  back into rving again so we are looking for a truck to tow.

I don't want a full size truck as I'm short and they are hard to get into and not as good of gas mileage and take up a lot of space.

I narrowed it down to Chevy Colorado because I like the look of them but more importantly they have a towing capacity of 7000 to 7500 depending on what you get. They are also are more comfortable and it's a smoother ride than the Tacoma.

My question for you is which should I get. The turbo diesel has a little bit more torque and meant for towing and most of the models come with a standard towing package with the brake controller .I know you can get these installed at places like Curtis Trailers but I prefer factory install.

The gas model still has about the same towing capacity but the diesel has a little more power for heavy towing.

I'm leaning towards the gas as mostly it would be used for commuting but towing off and on on the weekends.  Thoughts?

I haven't ready many reviews on the new diesel in the Colorado's but typical you will pull much easier with a diesel the torque makes a big difference. And typically diesels get much better fuel mileage I average around 20 on the road with my full size and 14 towing just under 8000 lbs. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vance164 said:

I haven't ready many reviews on the new diesel in the Colorado's but typical you will pull much easier with a diesel the torque makes a big difference. And typically diesels get much better fuel mileage I average around 20 on the road with my full size and 14 towing just under 8000 lbs. 

Yes the gas mileage is a little better about 24 with gas and 28 with diesel. The diesel doesn't accelerate as quickly as the gas but I'm used to that. A box turtle accelerates quicker than my 2000 Subaru. 

Any difficulties finding gas for your diesel ?

i don't know much about Diesel engines. I just remember the one we had when I was a kid had a lot of engine trouble but that of course could have been the car.

If you plan on using the truck as a daily driver make sure your commute is long enough to get the engine hot.  If you have less than a 20 min commute that will damage the diesel in the long term.  The have to get warmed up to get the moisture out of the engine.

6 minutes ago, Swampy said:

If you plan on using the truck as a daily driver make sure your commute is long enough to get the engine hot.  If you have less than a 20 min commute that will damage the diesel in the long term.  The have to get warmed up to get the moisture out of the engine.

Commute is a little over 20 minutes. It wouldn't be a daily driver just now and then but is that really true? And does sitting in traffic count? Cause the commute home is about 30 minutes? :)

3 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Yes the gas mileage is a little better about 24 with gas and 28 with diesel. The diesel doesn't accelerate as quickly as the gas but I'm used to that. A box turtle accelerates quicker than my 2000 Subaru. 

Any difficulties finding gas for your diesel ?

i don't know much about Diesel engines. I just remember the one we had when I was a kid had a lot of engine trouble but that of course could have been the car.

You just need to press that accelerator a little more :laugh: its actually a on off switch.......on push it to the floor it will move.......

Second don't put gas in a diesel vehicle :shock: its called fuel ;) had to give you [language filter] on that one Kim........

I can tell you don't know much :tongue: 

Anyway I love the diesel motors as yes they are great for hauling.....I think it all depends on what trailer you are going to get also. I traded in my F350 powerstroke for a gas pot and well it works. I just tow my boat and well I can get up to cruising speed just fine. One thing you need to remember its a truck......you are not buying it for fuel mileage.....I get people ask me all the time how many miles per gallon and just laugh.....I tell them its a truck not a commuter car.......

I think you will be ok either way. Also remember if this is the first year of the Diesel in the Colorado well run.......usually it takes a few years to work all the bugs out of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, spectra said:

:D I was pulled over by a jerk of a cop because he said I was timing the light in my Subaru (like drag racing or something) and I was like this is a 4 cylinder 17 year old car. I have to floor it to get it to move. 

Second don't put gas in a diesel vehicle :shock: its called fuel ;) had to give you [language filter] on that one Kim........

I can tell you don't know much :tongue: 

I know enough to be dangerous! :EvilGrin:

Anyway I love the diesel motors as yes they are great for hauling.....I think it all depends on what trailer you are going to get also. I traded in my F350 powerstroke for a gas pot and well it works. I just tow my boat and well I can get up to cruising speed just fine. One thing you need to remember its a truck......you are not buying it for fuel mileage.....I get people ask me all the time how many miles per gallon and just laugh.....I tell them its a truck not a commuter car.......

Don't know what trailer I'm going to get. Probably just start with a little one or a pop up tent but know as in fish tanks I will upgrade and just like in fish tanks I like to plan for bigger down the road! :)

I think you will be ok either way. Also remember if this is the first year of the Diesel in the Colorado well run.......usually it takes a few years to work all the bugs out of them.

This is not the first year of the diesel.  Last year was the first year. I can see you don't know much. ;)

• Like 2

Definitely get the diesel. Better mileage, more power and something some people forget, they deprecate slower. Diesels hold their value way longer than gas. So if you plan to ever sell the truck, the diesel will be worth more regardless of mileage. They also go forever. The truck you are looking at has a duramax in it which is an excellent engine. I have a duramax and it has 220,000 miles and runs like it's brand new. Never had a single problem. Highly recommend the engine/truck :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paratore said:

Definitely get the diesel. Better mileage, more power and something some people forget, they deprecate slower. Diesels hold their value way longer than gas. So if you plan to ever sell the truck, the diesel will be worth more regardless of mileage. They also go forever. The truck you are looking at has a duramax in it which is an excellent engine. I have a duramax and it has 220,000 miles and runs like it's brand new. Never had a single problem. Highly recommend the engine/truck :) 

Thanks Cody I read that as well that if well maintained which I always do they will go a longer time!

Great information everyone!!  

Thanks now I'm back on the diesel side! ?

They also sound cooler!?

3 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

I know enough to be dangerous! :EvilGrin:

Don't know what trailer I'm going to get. Probably just start with a little one or a pop up tent but know as in fish tanks I will upgrade and just like in fish tanks I like to plan for bigger down the road! :)

This is not the first year of the diesel.  Last year was the first year. I can see you don't know much. ;)

Yeah when it comes to Chevys I run :laugh: I had one years and miss it.......72 K10 hell if I had it today I would probably toss in a 12 valve dodge motor............

Hell I loved my diesel.....I was one of those assholes who had the smoke trail ;) my Ford was cranked up and well it was my 10K sports car........a few people commented at a stop light wow I didn't think that thing could move like that :laugh: nothing like a boosted launch locked in 4 wheel drive :shock: 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, spectra said:

Better than that VW you drive :tongue:

[language filter]........... what was that you wanted from me :laugh:

I'll never buy a VW again ( wife is in same boat) 

Yes...it is.  Because one day you'll bid on a Emerick job and I'll flip you [language filter] all day ??.  

1 minute ago, Flash21 said:

I'll never buy a VW again ( wife is in same boat) 

Yes...it is.  Because one day you'll bid on a Emerick job and I'll flip you [language filter] all day ??.  

I don't bid on [language filter] :laugh: all my customers come to me.....................

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Well, now I know who doesn't like VWs for one thing ?

Oh I love VWs just not the newer ones.......................I had a 60,61 and a 66 if I remember right..........hell I wish I had a 21 window bus..........if you didn't have a VW as a kid well you were not living right I guess :laugh:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spectra said:

Oh I love VWs just not the newer ones.......................I had a 60,61 and a 66 if I remember right..........hell I wish I had a 21 window bus..........if you didn't have a VW as a kid well you were not living right I guess :laugh:

Haha!  Would love a 21 window bus myself. Had a couple "newer Westies - a 74 and 82... last of the air cooled. Also had a 2001 Passat 1.8T. Drove great but man, the parts were junk. Three air pumps, three MAF meters, rear calipers and heater core all under 4years and 70K. 

Oh... and none of these were diesel - sorry Kim. Just another thread jack. ?

4 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Haha!  Would love a 21 window bus myself. Had a couple "newer Westies - a 74 and 82... last of the air cooled. Also had a 2001 Passat 1.8T. Drove great but man, the parts were junk. Three air pumps, three MAF meters, rear calipers and heater core all under 4years and 70K. 

I don't care I got my answers ! I'm surprised the ford versus chevy debate didn't erupt!?

Anyone have a Colorado they want to sell? ?

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

I don't care I got my answers ! I'm surprised the ford versus chevy debate didn't erupt!?

Anyone have a Colorado they want to sell? ?

Hell this is a fish geek forum :laugh: not a car forum............

I actually like the looks of the Colorado and was looking for one for my kid last year...ended up with a Nissan...........it was cheap and clean and well at 16 you get what you get :laugh:

12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hell this is a fish geek forum :laugh: not a car forum............

I actually like the looks of the Colorado and was looking for one for my kid last year...ended up with a Nissan...........it was cheap and clean and well at 16 you get what you get :laugh:

I like the look of the frontiers but they can't tow and I'm sure he was happy just to have a truck.?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flash21 said:

Just don't buy a Ford...

THIS x 1,000,000

IME ford trucks are complete pieces of garbage.  Bought a new tundra.. will likely out last me. 

I loved my VW bus.  Took me from seattle to cabo twice.   It broke down both times of course, but I still had lots of fun in that thing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, albertareef said:

I'd love to stick with VW.   The last 15 months I have dropped well over 8 k in my  ? Box  

Im do for DEQ in September and check engine light is on now...that's another 1kplus. 

Wish someone would drive my B5 Wagon off a cliff!