secret, not so secret monster tank build

pdxmonkeyboy

Interesting that you have no center supports.  I am not an engineer so I probably overbuilt mine.

i have center supports... but only a single one on each side. this thing is sooo over built. i was reading on one forum where a guy was saying he shojld build a 300 gallon stand out of 1/4" 2x2!!

That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever read. Of course i saw another thread with 1/8" 2x2 so I went with that. my buddy manages columbia steel so to say i got a deal on the steel is an understatement. Anyways, when i went to pick it up he was laughing at me... how big of an aquarium? i showed him a sketch, he said... dude, if you could get it up there that stand would support your tundra.

i think the failure load from a simulation showed it would crumple at around 8 tons of force. [emoji15]

it is so burly i think I am going to make the tank 32 tall instead of 24. i mean.. whats another 100 gallons??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Started on the tank construction. Man of man its long. Needed two supports in thr middle to keep the ends from splaying when i glued it.

The next step is the daunting one.. solvent welding 20 feet of seam in one shot with no bubbles. [emoji15] d4d890c1ee0635f8dd360b8e0c326343.jpg3aab159dcc8871fdd0a75985ab15929d.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Probably tomorrow.. ill shoot you a text. My place is an absolute disaster because im painting the exterior of the house, packing everything in boxes for our move, and getting ready for a road trip. Ill shoot you a text.

Sounds like the perfect time to build a huge tank!

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

i have center supports... but only a single one on each side. this thing is sooo over built. i was reading on one forum where a guy was saying he shojld build a 300 gallon stand out of 1/4" 2x2!!

That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever read. Of course i saw another thread with 1/8" 2x2 so I went with that. my buddy manages columbia steel so to say i got a deal on the steel is an understatement. Anyways, when i went to pick it up he was laughing at me... how big of an aquarium? i showed him a sketch, he said... dude, if you could get it up there that stand would support your tundra.

i think the failure load from a simulation showed it would crumple at around 8 tons of force. emoji15.png

it is so burly i think I am going to make the tank 32 tall instead of 24. i mean.. whats another 100 gallons??

Being a fabricator for over 25 years I tend to overbuild things........I have built many stands and 1/4" is not overkill really......I went with .120 wall 1/8th on mine but when going bigger yes I do tend to go overkill. I built a 8x4 stand for a guy and it was all 1/4 material.

Stand looks good but next time 45 the corners ;) it just makes a little cleaner look. Hopefully you get a good coat of paint or something on it as it will rust in no time with SW.........even powder coat sucks if you let it sit on it.

1/4 would have been ridiculous overkill. Its only 2,500lbs tops. I have a safety factor of around 6. Anything above that is a waste of money and material in my opinion.

I will try and find that load analysis for you. I'm not trying to say your wrong or anything, but people always tend to over build things in this hobby, sometimes bordering on ridiculous.

So I got the bottom welded on. Wasnt so happy with the amount of bubbles so i renforced the bottom seam with 1/2x1/2 stock. It gets covered with sand and stand anyways. Tonights challange is the 8 foot long coast to coast with no teeth.

Patented not pending zero fish capture design :)

31 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

So I got the bottom welded on. Wasnt so happy with the amount of bubbles so i renforced the bottom seam with 1/2x1/2 stock. It gets covered with sand and stand anyways. Tonights challange is the 8 foot long coast to coast with no teeth.

Patented not pending zero fish capture design :)

Just to be clear - I was not involved in this step so my acrylic skills remain untested!  No glue on the hands either...

Sorry you weren't happy with the seams but, like you note, shouldn't be visible anyway.  Fortunately you have the advantage of welding in some reinforcement as needed with acrylic!