I have a 28 gallon nano tank and am struggling to keep it at a consistent temperature inside my house or in the aquarium. What is more economical: buying a chiller for the aquarium, or just keep using the current window air conditioning unit and running up the electricity bill even when I'm gone? Are ice probes an effective way to go? What would I expect to spend on new or used equipment like a chiller?

Chiller would be more cost effective. There are a couple for sale on here. Or you could use a fan

I did post it in the thread. Asking $1000 for whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry didnt see it. If you part out let me know

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Get a clip on fan. I kept my 66g tank in a super hot garage under 82 degrees over the weekend with a 10 dollar fan.

• Like 1

What type of temperatures are we talking? What's the lighting situation?

Ultimately, AC is the way to go. Although, on a small tank like that a chiller wouldn't be a bad idea. Get one used.

I say AC, had this same question a couple years ago, then again the Window AC wasn't doing an adequate job. This is when I learned about HP & BTU but needless it stacked up like this :

buy a chiller  = increased power bill, Fish happy!
purchasing a larger AC unit = increased power bill, happy fish, happy family, happy dog!

The benefits of the AC unit far outweighed the chiller, so went with a 14,000 BTU Floor unit and everyone has been happy 2 summers in a row :)

31 minutes ago, Exodus said:

I say AC, had this same question a couple years ago, then again the Window AC wasn't doing an adequate job. This is when I learned about HP & BTU but needless it stacked up like this :

buy a chiller  = increased power bill, Fish happy!
purchasing a larger AC unit = increased power bill, happy fish, happy family, happy dog!

The benefits of the AC unit far outweighed the chiller, so went with a 14,000 BTU Floor unit and everyone has been happy 2 summers in a row :)

Also, you don't have an AC fighting against a chiller. Rarely have I ever seen a chiller placed in an outside area.

Thanks for the replies. I need to get 25 posts before I can use classifieds, then I'll probably reply and see about getting a $150 chiller. My home AC just isn't programmable enough to trust the highs and lows. 

Has anyone used the probes or thermostats with luck? Looks like they only fine tune a couple degrees if I'm reading right?