I love seahorses

MrsBret

I'm really new to this obsession that my husband's been into for 35+ years (whoa that dates us)! We've been married for 17 years but it wasn't until seahorses that I became a fanatic. This post has no point except to say OMG I love seahorses! ♡♡♡

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

You and Sirena have that in common! Seahorses are what sucked her in! You are becoming our local seahorse expert!!

♡I'm so obsessed, Kim, I even dream seahorses!♡ Sirena and I are kindred spirits!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrsBret said:

♡I'm so obsessed, Kim, I even dream seahorses!♡ Sirena and I are kindred spirits!

Ha ha!! Well it's fun and dangerous to have your significant other in the hobby !! There's no voice of reason when it comes to buying !! How's your cube coming along?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Ha ha!! Well it's fun and dangerous to have your significant other in the hobby !! There's no voice of reason when it comes to buying !! How's your cube coming along?

It's still in the same spot you saw it last, lol. 

On 6/19/2017 at 7:01 PM, MrsBret said:

This post has no point except to say OMG I love seahorses! ♡♡♡

Me Too. They are what got me into the hobby. I kept them from 2002 until 2015. The real fun is in the breeding of difference species, and the cross breeding :D I bet some fry tanks would really bring people into your store ;) 

If you ever have any questions I am happy to help out. Seahorse.org also has a very extensive library of articles with everything from breeding setups, food tables, and tank mate guides. 

I think the biggest help I found was just keeping that tank temp below 74. For me it was the difference in keeping one alive for 3 years or 9 years. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pledosophy said:

Me Too. They are what got me into the hobby. I kept them from 2002 until 2015. The real fun is in the breeding of difference species, and the cross breeding :D I bet some fry tanks would really bring people into your store ;) 

If you ever have any questions I am happy to help out. Seahorse.org also has a very extensive library of articles with everything from breeding setups, food tables, and tank mate guides. 

I think the biggest help I found was just keeping that tank temp below 74. For me it was the difference in keeping one alive for 3 years or 9 years. 

Yes, I love that site! My seahorses seem happiest between 70 and 72. They are so flirtatious! Every time I'm near the glass they come over and dance for me. So interactive. What type did you breed? Are you going to get back into the hobby? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 7:39 AM, MrsBret said:

Yes, I love that site! My seahorses seem happiest between 70 and 72. They are so flirtatious! Every time I'm near the glass they come over and dance for me. So interactive. What type did you breed? Are you going to get back into the hobby? 

I am Kevin on that site. I know not very original with the name there LOL. 

Seahorses do all have their own personalities. Only true seahorse people can see it though, the rest of the world just thinks we are crazy. I had an erectus that would come to the top of the tank and actually squirt water out of the tank at us, (not sure he was aiming at us, but he did hit us a couple times)he was one of my favorites. I had a Reidi too that I saw at an LFS riding the thermometer around the tank. I bought the seahorse and the thermometer. He rode that thing around for 8 years. 

I have bred Reidi, Comes, Barbouri, Erectus and Kuda. I tried for a long time to get some Comes to breed with some Barbouri to see if I could bring out a striped snout with a striped tail, but they never took. The only success with hybrids I had were with Reidi, Erectus, and Kuda. 

I am still in the hobby, just not on here to much these days. I keep a mixed reef tank (120g) and an RBTA tank (90g). I also have a little 30g cube with all of the needed equipment sitting in the garage to be setup my next day off. I have had a tank of some kind or another for the last 16 years. I even have some 12 year old corals and a pair of 11 year old clowns. It's a great hobby. Some amazing people in it for sure. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2017 at 7:39 AM, MrsBret said:

lol  you and Sirena really are so much alike .... I used to make fun of her because I would see her rocking back and forth. I was like what are you doing ?  She was dancing with them. Our babies that Andy gave us are doing fine. They grow so fast!

• Like 2

On 7/21/2017 at 7:49 PM, pledosophy said:

I am Kevin on that site. I know not very original with the name there LOL. 

Seahorses do all have their own personalities. Only true seahorse people can see it though, the rest of the world just thinks we are crazy. I had an erectus that would come to the top of the tank and actually squirt water out of the tank at us, (not sure he was aiming at us, but he did hit us a couple times)he was one of my favorites. I had a Reidi too that I saw at an LFS riding the thermometer around the tank. I bought the seahorse and the thermometer. He rode that thing around for 8 years. 

I have bred Reidi, Comes, Barbouri, Erectus and Kuda. I tried for a long time to get some Comes to breed with some Barbouri to see if I could bring out a striped snout with a striped tail, but they never took. The only success with hybrids I had were with Reidi, Erectus, and Kuda. 

I am still in the hobby, just not on here to much these days. I keep a mixed reef tank (120g) and an RBTA tank (90g). I also have a little 30g cube with all of the needed equipment sitting in the garage to be setup my next day off. I have had a tank of some kind or another for the last 16 years. I even have some 12 year old corals and a pair of 11 year old clowns. It's a great hobby. Some amazing people in it for sure. 

I want an erectus that does that, LOL!  I agree with you about the awesome people and I'm getting pretty obsessed with the hobby myself.  <3

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 8:15 PM, Emerald525 said:

lol  you and Sirena really are so much alike .... I used to make fun of her because I would see her rocking back and forth. I was like what are you doing ?  She was dancing with them. Our babies that Andy gave us are doing fine. They grow so fast!

I hope ours have more babies soon!

On July 21, 2017 at 8:15 PM, Emerald525 said:

How did I miss this!  Love it!  Glad to hear that the new kids are doing well and growing... Sirena deserves some better seahorse luck :yippee:

5 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I been bitten by the seahorse bug but haven't jump in yet.  Do you guys use seahorse baby sitters if you're away for 2-4 weeks at a time?  Or do you add thousands of live amphipods?

I would get a sitter for that long away!!  

14 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I been bitten by the seahorse bug but haven't jump in yet.  Do you guys use seahorse baby sitters if you're away for 2-4 weeks at a time?  Or do you add thousands of live amphipods?

Seahorses don't ration there food. If you put thousands of mysis in there, they will be gone in a few days. If you needed a couple days once in awhile it's no biggie, but more than that you'll need a sitter. 

Also IME if you feed live to often it can throw the seahorse off frozen food. 

Most species prefer to be fed 2x a day. I had much better health that way. 

HTH

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I should build Darcy a seahorse tank... 20 gallon square? Tiny sump?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would go with a 30g to start or larger IME. They really do use the room and since they are a bit inefficient with their digestion,  the larger water volume will be a benefit for you. IME

Edited by pledosophy