Lets get the next frag swap going

Guest Ahbrit

Hello,

Intro: My name is Bryan. I'm new to the reef scene with my five-week-old aquarium. You can read my aquarium's journal here.

There's nothing like a frag swap to bring out the newbies, right? My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate have been stable at unreadable levels for about two weeks.

So far I only have a few snails and blue-legged hermits. So, I'm basically wondering if it's worth coming to a frag swap, since I don't have any frags to swap. I could always trade cash, right?

I'd like to have a predominantly stony coral tank, and follow the stocking order recommended by Eric Borneman in Reefkeeping Magazine. Here's a list of beginner stony corals that have caught my eye: Frogspawn, Candy Cane, hammer coral, Favites, Platygyra, Montipora (branching or encrusting), and Galaxea.

I'm also looking for two scarlet hermit crabs.

I know it's late, but do you think it's worth coming out? Would anyone have anything on my wishlist?

Yes it is deffinatly worth coming out. You might want to only get some hardy ones (corals) for today, but at least you'll meet people that could be potential traders. Not to mention that they will be giving away frag door prizes. What type of lighting do you have? What is the size of your tank? As for livestock I would start with some softes first (and MAYBE some LPS) and take it slow.

I think I might have some stuff for sale for you. I've got a green candy cane that's making a third head as we speak. I've also got a favia that is red with light green centers. It's about the size of your fist. I've also got a frag of an umbrella coral. Just PM me if you are interested.

Okay, you've all convinced me to come. I've been lurking for months and it'll be nice to meet people.

I've got a 24 gallon aquapod (cube) with 120 watts PC lighting (I modified the hood). As far as filtration, I've just got a fuge in the back with live rock rubble and hair algae growing. I would like to get some chaeto. My plan for good water quality is just to keep up on large water changes. So far, water changes have been a breeze with a 5 gallon bucket.

My main concern with softies is that they can chemically outcompete the stony corals and in a small tank like mine it won't take much to get a high concentration. So, I wouldn't be opposed to a benign softy.

See you soon!

Thanks everyone for all the awesome stuff.

Jansen, Dave, Michael, Roy, Roger, and Keith.

Thanks Micheal, James, John, and Jim for all the free stuff.

Thanks John and Constance for hosting the meeting.

I hope everyone enjoys there new inhabitants.

Jay