Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheClark

Only a reef keeper would understand

Recommended Posts

Those are some pretty large rocks there, wich tank are they going into?..And where abouts did you find nice porous pieces like that?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

Those are some pretty large rocks there, wich tank are they going into?..And where abouts did you find nice porous pieces like that?

Thanks Robert!

These are going in that envision tank that sold on here... like 2 years ago!  It is a 5x5x2 cube.

Master plan is to get all the equipment down to the garage and have some room for the equipment.  New tank in the office.

 

The rock is all BRS Pukani.  Been ordering it when BRS has sales slowly over time as it is kinda spendy.  In addition @spectra set me up with some of @ssappington rock.  

 

The stuff from BRS had a leathery linkia star in it!

c04cedcf8f63b56648b83b15358bc96b.jpg

 

So side question to a very experienced reefer @badxgillen.  I know they say porous rock is important, what are some of your experiences over the years with porous vs non porous rock? 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice rock and killer tank Jeremy!  Can't wait to see that up and running. Like how it is pretty much the same as Roy's but just a tad taller... you guys got a little friendly neighborhood competition going there?  Might have the highest gallon of reef tank per square mile  in the PNW by the time you are done up there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, albertareef said:

Nice rock and killer tank Jeremy!  Can't wait to see that up and running. Like how it is pretty much the same as Roy's but just a tad taller... you guys got a little friendly neighborhood competition going there?  Might have the highest gallon of reef tank per square mile  in the PNW by the time you are done up there. 

I was so happy to find one like Roy's, brand new and similar footprint.  Cannot wait to build it out.  The boat is supposed to sell today, that was a major garage space taker, so the project can start moving again!

I can buy a big tank, but will never hold a candle to @stylaster reef skills!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally love porous rock over dense rock for obvious reasons such as the surface area for micro fauna and ease of water access to the beneficiary bacteria that lies within the rock itself...Provided you have enough flow. Without flow these rocks could just be settling grounds for various organics, If those pile up it can "choke" the rock up making things counter productive. Oh, and algae infested open rock like this is a pain in the rear to manually clean, but you are obviously starting fresh and proper.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love the shape and porous nature of the pukani rock.  I ordered 5 big rocks of it when i setup my system.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stylaster said:

Gotta love the shape and porous nature of the pukani rock.  I ordered 5 big rocks of it when i setup my system.  

Yep!

#copyRoyForSuccessfulReefing

:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, badxgillen said:

I personally love porous rock over dense rock for obvious reasons such as the surface area for micro fauna and ease of water access to the beneficiary bacteria that lies within the rock itself...Provided you have enough flow. Without flow these rocks could just be settling grounds for various organics, If those pile up it can "choke" the rock up making things counter productive. Oh, and algae infested open rock like this is a pain in the rear to manually clean, but you are obviously starting fresh and proper.

All good points Bert.  If I recall correctly, BRS had an interesting episode in their video log of their tank build where they went over all the rock options and had a comparison of the effective "surface" area of the different types of rock that was pretty interesting.  Regardless of those practical issues it looks great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×