New 120 gal interim shark tank project

Sharklover

Getting started on this new tank. My girlfriend has been wanting me to build her a 300+ tank for a couple coral cat sharks (maybe a blue spotted ray). There has been quite a bit of discussion about clearing space for it at her place. Then she found this tank that has one broken panel. It was a foot shorter than what we were told when I got there to pick it up but I took it anyway. So instead of it being 150g it's a 120g. It will still suffice for the first year (max). The plan is to get it setup then immediately start the slow acquiring of the materials for her 300 (now she is asking for maybe 400/500). Then I'll just turn it into another reef when she's done with it.

I do have to say that I find myself lucky to have a gal that seems to love it almost as much as me. One evening we had planned on going to a movie. Both of us were a little tired and she said "hey instead of wasting $30 or so at a movie why don't we go to the fish store and spend $30 and then just pick up Redbox?" Yes. I'm in love.

I'll post updates along the way.

e936e4f4a24e511455976dc719f511e1.jpg

d23cdb1a3a100ea2a9ca14438367036a.jpg8a021c2f01c06ea04643e48e0f7a86a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So just getting to work on this build. I've been working so much I hadn't put much time into my lady's tank. The free time I did have I worked on the stand for our 60 cube. That said I started this one today. Goal: remove the side broken glass, buff out all scratches to the tank and repraint the stand. As I began cutting out the side panel I saw a chip in the end of the back panel that I hadn't noticed before. Of course as my blade ran down the seam and got to it a crack shot several inches across that back panel. Blah. So much for that. Costs enough to replace one panel but two... My lady was on Craigslist within two minutes looking for new tanks. I remembered that Aaron out in Wilsonville said he had something in his back room on one of my visits. Called out. Sure enough he had a 72x24x24 180g acrylic in his back room. He told me it was very scratched up so he cut me a good deal. Awesome. The lady is extra happy. 

Tomorrow's project: buff out the new tank and begin it's build. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Sharklover
  • Like 3