Koran Angel with fin deterioration and lumps

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here.

I have a juvenile Koran Angel in QT, he's been in there for about 2 months, and has been unable to kick whatever the heck is wrong with him.  I originally had him in QT with 2 butterflies. He has been alone for the last 7 weeks.  I didn't notice much wrong for the 1st week, then it started showing.  

Fish is being kept in 12 gallon tank with HOB skimmer. Skimmer is not running, just using it for filtration, have some chaeto and filter pad in it.   No other tank-mates after week 1.

Fin deterioration and bumps on the fins mostly darker colored and look to me like a fungus.  

I have treated with:

*Cupramine 1st week only.

*Prazipro for almost the whole time in QT. Then I did a large series of water changes to get the water super clean again.  

*Maracyn Two, twice, (the second time (admittedly I over dosed a bit, 1 extra dose).

I have also freshwater dipped twice for about 7 minutes each.

This fish has not gotten any better, only progressively worse (pretty slowly over the whole period).

Not sure if my water tests are all accurate due to chemicals that I am dosing with.  But levels are:

Specific Gravity 1.023

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Nitrite: no trace

Alkalinity: 230

PH 8.3

Copper gone, cleaned out with carbon after 1st week.

Have not tested phosphate, but very minimal algae growth in tank which catches ambient sunlight from several windows.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions on what to try next.

DSCN4092.JPG

DSCN4093.JPG

DSCN4094.JPG

DSCN4095.JPG

I am no expert but I would try a different antibiotic such as kanaplex. Bacteria are sometimes resistant to one antibiotic but not another. Methylene blue is also good to use as a dip for this type of problem. I hope he starts doing better.

• Like 2

+1 on posting on Reef2Reef in their Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis forum:  https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/.  Also, look through the stickies and see if anything looks familiar.  Your write up above looks great.  A couple of things you might add to help with diagnosis:  How is the fish's behavior (e.g. flashing, loss of appetite, heavy breathing, lethargic)?  Also, with the freshwater dips, did anything come off? 

If you've tried Maracyn 2, you might want to add Maracyn 1 to get a broader spectrum.  Those won't help if it is not bacterial though.

It's hard to see from the pictures, but if I HAD to guess I'd be looking at lymphocytes.  If the fish is acting pretty normal and the problem is persistent and resistant, that would be my first thought.  There is no known treatment for lymphocytes (that I know of, at least).  The good news is that it is rarely fatal and most of the time clears up on its own with good water quality, feeding, etc.

If you do post on Reef2Reef, would you mind posting a link to the thread?  I'd love to follow along.  If you can get Humblefish and/or melypr1985 to weigh in, that would be great.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Recently went through this with an juvi emperor angelfish. 

Unfortunately I lost him and think is was mainly because I kept trying different treatments and finally found one that killed him. 

Based on the pics I agree is looks like lymphocytes. In which case you just want to make sure the fish is not stressed. A slightly larger quarantine with some rock to feel secure and lowering the salinity could do wonders. 

I would not panic unless the fishes appetite is decreasing 

• Like 1

First off, thank you all for your input.  

I have taken your advice and posted on R2R. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/

I will also take KeanuReefs advice and not overreact. I will just do my best to keep water quality up and minimize stress.

I have looked at some pics of lymphocytes at it does look like the closest fit that I've seen.

I will update if anything changes.

Thank you all again!

On 5/31/2017 at 8:37 AM, Bevo5 said:

Lots of smart people here but you should also post over on reef2reef. There are a couple of straight up illness experts who can probably help. Not to take away from anyone here, but might be worth it. 

Yeah meredith is amazing  over there

• 1 month later...

*UPDATE*

So I was a bit torn with the differing responses that I've had here and on other (RTR) forums. I still feel like it was lymphocytes. However, someone seemed to really to really think I should continue the copper, which I did.  The fish really got to a point of showing no signs, and then I added copper for 30 days.  Still no signs (which I thought for sure I would see after adding copper if it was lymphocytes) after the 30 days of copper (cupramine). 

Anyhow, I moved her into the display and she is doing great. 3 days in, no signs of anything coming back yet. She has fit in with the group, and everyone is getting along great. :)