Introduction and Question

Hi all, long time lurker and hobbyist. I've been in the saltwater hobby for years now but don't want anyone to think I know what I'm doing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I currently have a 150 gallon (4ft long, 30 inch deep)- It's a mixed reef. Lots of Zoa's, softies, mushrooms, a few birds nests and lps a whole bunch of nems and critters. I have a good amount of super fat fish- I think I'm unusual in the reef hobby because after years of it I find myself more obsessed with interesting fish than coral [emoji4].

Anyway, I'm curious how people keep their tanks cool here in the Pacific Northwest. In years past when it was getting too hot out I'd float ice packs in my sump and run fans over the water surface to keep evaporation up- I've had some hot days and stressed animals before but don't think I've ever lost anything to heat. That said it seems like we are getting more and more extreme in our seasons here and I'm considering something like a chiller. My house doesn't have AC so controlling ambient temperature is pretty basic (fans, shades, etc.)

Thoughts?

bought a 14,000 btu Floor A/C A couple years back for the living room, set it up during summer and put it away after the heat wave. I set it to 70 degrees and let it go, I have never had an issue since and my temperatures remain stable, and even better I stay Cool :D btw Welcome to the boards!

I wish ac was an option. Maybe someday...

I think I'm going to finally invest in a controller and I'm gonna buy one of those four fan clip on tank fan things that are all over eBay.

Tank hit 82.3 yesterday. I put a large on the stand next to the water surface and the temp stabilized and came down once the sun started dropping. Ugh

• Like 1

Since my house stays cool (heat pump), I have no cooling apparatus on the tanks or sumps.

Clip on fan with controller makes allot of sense.

If you are not ready to take the plunge yet, these can turn your fans on as well as protect you from a stuck heater:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011296704/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HN0wRCm.png

They are 35 bucks, 

Just be sure to take a pair of pliers and pull of the stainless steel cover on the probe to be safe...

I use them in my son's reef tank and daughter's nudibranch farm tanks.

On the main system apex is king of temp control.

Good luck and stay cool!