Do tanks get too warm in the PNW with LEDs?

Nancymacc

I have a 24g cube w/ AI Prime HD light.  I am trying to determine if I will need something to keep it cool in the summer?  We have room ACs, but it can get fairly warm in the house.  Just want to get a feel for people's experience so I can be prepared and plan ahead.  Are fans typically enough for a small open top tank>

LEDS do not give off much heat, though that can be variable how close to the water they are, as well you have to consider what equipment is in the tank generating heat. The room in which the tank resides has a much larger impact on the overall temperature of the tank itself. Get a temp probe and compare it to the room temp, you will probably see a pattern, figure that out and keep the room at a reasonable temperature that doesn't push you over 79 degrees. I use T5's now (used LEDS 6 years) and have to ensure my temp stays at 72 or below to keep the tank at 77.

• Like 1

My system hit 89° today. So far nothing dead or dying, although my Sinularia is drooping. I've been freaking out since I noticed, floating frozen water bottles, set up a big fan, opened the sump doors and turned off most of the lights. First hot day with 6 T-5's and duel 250W halides. I had no idea it would get THAT hot. I'm might get rid of the halides and go LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Evaporative cooling works amazingly well on a smaller tank of your size. I don't have AC and my old tank would cool down 2-3 degrees in a half hour with just a small 3.5" computer case fan. I think folks use these to ventilate light hoods as well. I just laid the fan on top of my mesh cover blowing down and hooked it up to the Apex. Just need to make sure it doesn't start fighting your heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 11:38 PM, air561 said:

My system hit 89° today. So far nothing dead or dying, although my Sinularia is drooping. I've been freaking out since I noticed, floating frozen water bottles, set up a big fan, opened the sump doors and turned off most of the lights. First hot day with 6 T-5's and duel 250W halides. I had no idea it would get THAT hot. I'm might get rid of the halides and go LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

89°!?! Where you located? I'll bring the beer! Someone's cookin fish tonight! LOL

Anything over 80° fish metabolism goes up! They should appear 'high strung' and more hungry. Stressful to say the least. Get a chiller.

I unplug the heater in the summer, and just rely on a fan pointed at the ATS to keep things cool.

I don't run a chiller, although I have one, because I keep my AC at 74. I have to run a heater all year. 

When I lived in an APT with no AC, I had to use a chiller for a few weeks a year to keep the tank temp down. Fans can do so much, but when it is 104F outside for 2-3 days... well. I vote chiller.

• Like 1