Hello!

jellyfish

Hi, I'm felic! i just found out about this site from a shop owner in town : ) (paradise coral, if you see this, hello!)

I'm 18 and new to saltwater but not to fishkeeping! I just started up my first salt tank a while back and was getting some live rock when i was told about this forum. 

if anyone has tips for a new keeper, im happy to hear em! 

• Like 4

Welcome to the addiction!

Get used to mistakes, crashes, and die off.

But you will get enjoyment, pride, and new baby animals.

ask around for free stuff to get started and come to the meetings to really get involved. Raffles are nice and frag swaps

• Like 2

Hey Welcome to the club!! You met Bret he's a great guy with a good taste in corals!  I'm glad you found us. This place has helped me a lot when I was new and I have made a lot of great friends. I hope to see pictures and feel free to ask any questions. We were all new once!

• Like 1

Welcome!  It's a very challenging yet rewarding hobby but one that the folks here will be happy to help you with. Lots of great info and experience on these threads so definitely spend some time reading and asking questions. Someone here will likely have an answer (or two, or three ?).

Good luck!

• Like 2

Welcome! If you're interested I've got some free frags for you, I like to help out the younger kids. My kids are 13 and 14 and my daughter has her own little 15 gallon so like I said I'd be happy to give you some free starter corals and mushrooms! I'm in the forest grove gaston area but I'll be at paradise coral Saturday if you want to meet me there I could bring them, just pm me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Welcome to the club.  You have certainly come to the right place.  Let's see some pics of that tank.  I love pictures!!

My tips for a new reefer: 

• Try not to be reactive about things. Always look and fix the reason that something is wrong rather than just fix the symptom.  Of course nuisance algae comes to mind.  Look at why, feeding, lighting, water quality.  Remember too if you have an algae issue you might find your nitrates/phosphates are normal or close to it because the algae is actually using it to grow.  You need to look at the tank and not just the numbers.
  • Label your cords at both ends.  I have learned this after much grief and crawling on the floor to trace cords.
  • Never listen to one opinion, do your research and try to find information related to a tank similar to your own.  Size, stocking, lighting, filtration...
  • This is just my opinion (see above), but if you had a chunk of money to spend on one thing I would spend it on quality lighting.
  • Learn patience and take adding new livestock slowly.  Let the system get back in balance after adding livestock (fish, inverts, I don't follow this rule for corals)
  • Don't give up if something goes wrong, it will and has for all of us, this is not a Plug & Play hobby, but if you persist, take it slow and pay attention to testing, water changes etc, the rewards are amazing.
  • Like 5

Welcome! Bret (Paradise Corals) is a solid guy so you are in good hands up there!

My biggest tip is to keep it simple! Over the years I've tried complicating my tanks and they always fail. Just stick with the bare bones and you'll be good.

Do your weekly water changes!

Never skimp on lighting! I run tanks with no skimmer, hardly any rock or other filtration and coral is growing good. The one area you can't skimp on is lighting because the corals need it to live haha. I highly recommend spending the money to get nice light. Or get an ocean receive LED unit. Myself and others use them and have had great success. At only $200 a pop they are really awesome. They are also a local company in Beaverton.

Anyways welcome to the addiction!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jellyfish said:

Hi, I'm felic! i just found out about this site from a shop owner in town : ) (paradise coral, if you see this, hello!)

I'm 18 and new to saltwater but not to fishkeeping! I just started up my first salt tank a while back and was getting some live rock when i was told about this forum. 

if anyone has tips for a new keeper, im happy to hear em! 

Welcome aboard Felic! Glad you made your way to the forum here. As you can see from the comments above, our forum/club has a great group of friendly and passionate people in it.  From talking with ya yesterday a fellow forum member came to mind ( Sasquatch )  Your interests line up a lot with what i see him into. He also likes the micro life that is present in a tank and live rock.  Anything i can help with just let me know or post the question up here in the forum and the other members will post and share any info they have to help.

Mr Bret :)

• Like 3