28 Nano-Cube

Snappy

I bought a running 28 Nan0-Cube 5 months ago. It was full of Xenia when I got it and a few cool corals. Since then, I have added 4x the live rock, a bunch of corals, and upgraded to an AI Prime HD light. The biggest mishaps so far were the anemone stinging corals, so I 86'd the anemone, and I've had the 6 line wrasse kill a damsel and couple small crabs. Aside from that there is substantial coral growth and it looks amazing. I am considering getting one more fish, but not sure what would be exciting and reef safe for 28 gal. Flame angel is first consideration.

IMG_1318.JPG

• Like 1

I have 2 clownfish, a 6 line wrasse (who has been aggressive) a goby/pistol shrimp combo that live underground, and a cleaner shrimp. Many smaller snails and hermit crabs too. All types of corals.

Any suggestions on one last fish to put in it? I like the flame angels, but hear they nip corals when hungry.

I've also considered switching the large cleaner shrimp out for a medium one or smaller one. He picks the food out of the corals mouths instead of getting it off the floor. I also think the fish are afraid of him.

Even considering switching the wrasse out, as he gets aggressive towards fish on occasion as well as an occasional invertebrate.

• Like 1

I would think with that small of tank you probably are going to run into aggression issues with the 6line wrasse. Flame angels are beautiful but they do nip at corals mainly lps  in my experience. They don't kill them but just bother them to where they don't expand. 

I would strongly consider getting the 6 line wrasse out if there before you add another fish.  They are great for pests but are known to be aggressive and sometimes will be okay if they are the last fish added.

Oh and welcome to the club.

19 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Thanks for the reply. I actually had a clownfish jump out of the tank today. Not sure if it was due to the wrasse or not. Likely to try and get rid of the wrasse today just in case.

Just replied about this on your other thread.  Yeah, I hate to say it but would consider removing the six line.  Other cool fish that might work well in there would be a sunburst (fat head) anthias.  They are beautiful, calm and somewhat shy so are hard to accommodate in larger, busier tanks with tangs etc. but it would work in yours as long as the clowns don't get overly aggressive.  I would suggest talking to Cherany (FlashyFins) as she has done a ton of research on interesting fish for small tanks and would probably have great suggestions.  She also keeps a lot of LPS in her tanks so is sensitive to how fish and inverts interact to those.

Welcome back! (saw you were a member back in the day as well).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snappy said:

Thanks for the reply. I actually had a clownfish jump out of the tank today. Not sure if it was due to the wrasse or not. Likely to try and get rid of the wrasse today just in case.

That would be my guess. That's most of the time I see when fish jump. Clownfish don't typically jump but I had one jump when I had a butthead of a melanarus.

I would remove the sixline, as the aggression is not likely to get better and will almost certainly get worse as the fish matures. One of my personal favorites for its looks, but also a fish I stay away from, since I like having more than one fish in my nano.

In terms of what new fish to add, that's really dependent on a load of factors. Some people prioritize having fish not commonly kept, while others just want the best looking fish, no matter how common. Some people think $30 is a lot for a fish, while others think $100 is perfectly reasonable. I have never trusted an angel in my tank, even though I desperately want one, because I keep open brains, scolys, gonioporas, acans, and lots of other delicious treats I don't think it would be reasonable for an angel to consistently resist. It's worth considering whether you're the type of person (or live with the type) to fall in love with a fish, especially one as personable as an angel, and not want to give it up, despite regretting the purchase. Would you be ok waking up to find a coral wiped clean? Most of the time, angels just nip, but there are stories of them going rogue and devouring something after sampling it. Are you willing to get rid of corals that are having a rough time living with an angel, if you become too attached to the fish? 

A royal gramma is a great way to add a splash of vivid color for very little money. I also really like the Swales Swissguard basslet, which is a bit more expensive and tougher to find, but a good fit for a small tank. Flasher wrasses are nice; I especially like the blue flasher and McCosker's flasher, but plenty more to pick from. Lubbock's wrasse is another good bang for the buck fish, if you find a nicely colored one (there's quite a range; some are total lookers, while others are bland); that's likely the only fairy wrasse that could work in that size tank. If you want a wrasse you can be sure will never outgrow the tank, a possum wrasse is a good option, but they are more cryptic.

If you want something unusual and don't plan to put anything more aggressive than a clownfish in, a group of blue gudgeon dartfish is a fun thing to watch. They need to be kept with friends to feel comfortable, but they're a low bio-load fish that's no big deal to keep in a trio, even in a small tank. They do hide frequently, but when they're out and about, they create flashes of blue shimmer, a color not too common in tanks without damsels and SPS corals. Sean's suggestion of a sunburst anthias would be a good mix with the dartfish; they're all very peaceful. A clownfish is less so, but I see you don't have one of the more belligerent types, so it could work. 

Canary blenny is a terrific addition if you want a colorful fish that stays out and about. Another yellow option I can never resist is a yellow clown goby. They're bold and hop all over the tank once they're comfortable. Same goes for the neon goby, with its vivid blue stripes and lack of fear. I have both, and they are always visible, never hiding even for a minute.

Another possible addition would be a longnose hawkfish. The shape is unique, and they are not aggressive like other hawks. Your cleaner shrimp being large and in the tank first would put luck on your side, but I wouldn't add peppermints, sexies, or other small shrimps. If you go for some small gobies such as the clown or neon, be sure to add those before the hawkfish, and get a small hawkfish rather than a large one who may view them as food.

Honestly, I could type for days suggesting fish to you, but you must have some preferences? Personally, I like to go for a variety of shapes, colors, and behaviors. Your fish are more likely to get along that way, and it's more visually pleasing for you and anyone else looking at the tank. Of course, you could just chuck all these suggestions and get the flame angel. I don't think anyone would blame you for giving in on one of the best looking fish available! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As far as your cleaner shrimp goes every one I've had is a good stealer lol, of course they'll go for the easy stuff! If your clowns are scared of it I'm not sure putting a smaller one would help but I could be wrong, I remember my clowns being a little freaked out by my 2 cleaner shrimp when I introduced them. I'm not sure when I noticed them stop caring as much (it's been about 3 years for this tank now) but now they seem to co- exist just fine. Just my experience :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions Flashy Fins. I will do some research on these fish. I need to get rid of the wrasse first, which is proving difficult. I have a small tank with too many corals and live rock for easy netting. I'm going to attempt to try and blind it at night before it goes to its cave when the lights are off.

• 1 month later...

FlashyFins:

Its been a while, but I've gotten rid of the wrasse and traded the cleaner shrimp out for a small cleaner shrimp. I also have a small lawnmower blenny. In looking at pictures of all the suggestions you mentioned, my favorites are the Anthias, and the wrasses. With it only being a 28 gallon cube, it is 18" across. My 6 line wrasse went crazy in it and needed removed, so I'm concerned about putting another one in. Would some of the bright colorful ones be fine in such a small tank? Are mandarin gobies a good suggestion or would their diet interfere with my current reef setup?

Thanks for the help

4 hours ago, Snappy said:

FlashyFins:

Its been a while, but I've gotten rid of the wrasse and traded the cleaner shrimp out for a small cleaner shrimp. I also have a small lawnmower blenny. In looking at pictures of all the suggestions you mentioned, my favorites are the Anthias, and the wrasses. With it only being a 28 gallon cube, it is 18" across. My 6 line wrasse went crazy in it and needed removed, so I'm concerned about putting another one in. Would some of the bright colorful ones be fine in such a small tank? Are mandarin gobies a good suggestion or would their diet interfere with my current reef setup?

Thanks for the help

Hey Snappy,

I would say Flashy's prior suggestions regarding one of the more colorful flasher wrasses or possum would be fine although the flashers can be jumpers if startled.  I would be careful with a mandarin in that size tank - they are often hard to get established on frozen food and may refuse to eat anything but live pods - which could get totally depleted in a tank that size unless you found a way to supplement the population.  The sunburst anthias should be fine as well now that the 6-line is gone.  I wouldn't have recommended adding any of these with him still in there based on my prior experiences.  Hope this helps...