Tidepool Finds Etc. - for real this time!

albertareef

Found a few interesting things tide pooling over the weekend near Newport including a really cool orange-tipped opalescent nudibranch...pretty cool I think. Even the wildlife docent hadn't seen one before (first pic).

We also saw a few things we couldn't identify, including what appeared to be some form of plate-like sponge (second pic) and something that looked like a combination of feather duster and strawberry anemone (has really fine filaments off of its "tentacles", third pic).

Also, while at the aquarium, we ran across an unidentified fish (fourth pic) that looked similar to a box fish in shape but with his eyes in the "wrong" spot. Thought maybe I would share and see if anyone knew what they were...  

Sorry for the false start last time - hit return at the wrong time! 

IMG_20170422_163741.jpg

IMG_20170422_164815.jpg

IMG_20170422_164835.jpg

unknown fish.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah, we were pretty stoked about that nudibranch - had been going to the same place to tide pool for at least 15 years and had never seen one before... although that could have just been bad luck.  Was nice to find something the docent (or whatever you call them) hadn't come across before.

• Like 1

Well, the fish ID is solved anyway.  Got a nice note back from the aquarium folk...

Hello Darcy and Sean, 

Thank you for your photo and question. The stunning little fish is called a Rockhead Poacher. We have a couple of postings here to get you started if you’d like to research a little deeper.

https://www.facebook.com/OregonCoastAquarium/photos/a.159458327417779.32520.158500820846863/1238277956202472

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockhead_(fish)

I’m glad you enjoyed the colorful but cryptic little surprises in that room. I’d be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Evonne

At least now we know it isn't just a figment of Brian's (or our) imagination!  Or spongebob squarepants for that matter...  Too bad it no longer has a soul.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

Very cool finds! Thanks for sharing the pictures. 

I actually expected you to ID this fish for us Cherany!  granted, it isn't likely seen in the trade but it isn't often you run across a fish that seems to mimic a sponge colony.  I found it amusing that they actually referenced that in the aquarium Facebook post... not sure if Scott knew how close he was to being correct!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, albertareef said:

I actually expected you to ID this fish for us Cherany!  granted, it isn't likely seen in the trade but it isn't often you run across a fish that seems to mimic a sponge colony.  I found it amusing that they actually referenced that in the aquarium Facebook post... not sure if Scott knew how close he was to being correct!

:laugh:  Well, I don't know every fish!  In fact, I might as well have no idea what a fish is when it comes to ID'ing most coldwater species. I've never seen anything like the fish you found. When I googled the ID for more pictures (now my obsession is showing!), I noticed there aren't many. You should add your photo to fishbase!

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Amazing stuff, pictures, great post!  Makes me want a coldwater... some day.  

I remember seeing a couple of Steve Weast's cold water tanks when they were at Saltwater Fantaseas years ago. Very cool and surprisingly colorful. Had an awesome collection of boxfish - which was the first thing I thought of when i saw this little guy. I was also struck by just how thick the acrylic had to be to prevent the tank from sweating constantly. Looked like it took some work to set up properly but definitely striking. I think you should give it a try!