badxgillen

PNWMAS May Meet North West Aquatics Tour 2017

We are happy to announce that the PNWMAS May meeting will be a behind the scenes tour of North West Aquatics marine aquaculture breeding facility.

The lead aquarist Colby will be giving a talk on wild caught and captive marine fish quarantine procedures as well as ideal treatments to follow. After the speech he will take us on a tour of his facility and explain some of the details of clown fish & seahorse breeding and what goes into culturing the live foods to keep them happy.

At the end of it all we will get a chance to see his prized weedy sea dragons in person and that is a rare treat indeed. These things are amazing! These cell phone pictures do them no justice, I will have my real camera next time I go in, the first shot is when they were tiny babies.

Resized leafy dragon 2.jpg

Once the actual presentation and tour are over there will be a raffle and frag swap to participate in, that is if your not too busy engaging in conversation with all the other reefers there. Miles and I will be bringing in an aquarium to put the corals in so we can do this proper, as usual there will be a separate thread for that exchange here shortly.

North West Aquatics will also be offering up a very nice frag pack for the raffle in addition to our usual PNWMAS prizes so stay tuned for that,  let me tell you he has some pretty good looking corals up in there.

So come one come all and join us for a another great PNWMAS meeting and a killer coral exchange, these are going to be some informative discussions that's for sure, you won't want to miss out on this one..

Oh, almost forgot to mention that pizza and sodas will be provided so not to worry if you get the munchies before the raffle, your club has you covered!

Being only two weeks away you really want to get that day off of work fast so you will be able to attend,

the day will be Saturday May 6th: 2 -4 p.m. at North West Aquatics 

33740 99Hwy East Tangent Oregon

resized leafy dragon 1.jpg

These guys are so cool, mother nature s so incredible.

20170423_092056.jpg

• Like 9

Bump!

This meeting is going to be worth the drive, Portland peeps!

Do you want to know how to breed seahorses or clownfish? Colby is one of the best and can show us how he does it in his facility.

Do you want to know how to raise live foods? Colby has that going too.

How about how to prevent the spread of common fish diseases and the optimal quarantine setup. Colby's got that covered too.

I should take a notebook along to this meeting. Fish school is in session. :yippee:

• Like 6

Looking forward to it!  I think the weedy sea dragons are going to be real popular in our household. (looking around to see where we could possibly fit a specimen tank :unsure:)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stylaster said:

oh bummer ill be in the Caribbean then, you all have a great time

Haha!  I'm not sure that being in the Caribbean that weekend qualifies as a bummer but I get what you mean... Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

Would love to see those sea dragons in person!

• Like 2

Would love to see those sea dragons in person!

I got to see them yesterday! They are so cool! Talk about majestic lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I have a very well behaved 10 year old that will definitely want to come w me - kids allowed?

10 minutes ago, Mchums said:

I have a very well behaved 10 year old that will definitely want to come w me - kids allowed?

Of course kids are welcome! We like to try to suck them into the hobby too! They are the future! :)

13 minutes ago, Mchums said:

Great to have kids interested in attending to help carry the torch.   Be prepared to come home with a sea dragon though - I can't imagine a kid (or adult really) who won't want one of those!

• Like 1

Are those dragons leafy or weedy? I watched a couple vids and they look leafier to me. They are amazing!

I can't make the meeting this month but look forward to the next one!

1 hour ago, Stugots said:

Are those dragons leafy or weedy? I watched a couple vids and they look leafier to me. They are amazing!

I can't make the meeting this month but look forward to the next one!

These are weedy sea dragons.

• Like 2

Ahhh, I'm so excited for this one!  I was even blabbing away about it this afternoon to co-workers, most of whom gave blank stares, followed by looks of, "Wow, she's into some weird stuff." :laugh: 

• Like 4

As if sea dragons were not enough as usual there will be raffle items!!

How about a one year subscription to Coral Magazinr?

IMG_0151.JPG

• Like 6

How about another raffle item? I have 2 25 dollar gift certificates to TPA Wilsonville. Also officially in May they will be known as All Things Aquarium. This is still the same great store under the same ownership rhe only thing that has changed is the name !

IMG_2339.JPG

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

How about another raffle item? I have 2 25 dollar gift certificates to TPA Wilsonville. Also officially in May they will be known as All Things Aquarium. This is still the same great store under the same ownership rhe only thing that has changed is the name !

IMG_2339.JPG

Did you spill a little saltwater on those gift certificates, Kim? :laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lexinverts said:

Did you spill a little saltwater on those gift certificates, Kim? :laugh:

Don't judge our queen. How could you?!

• Like 1

I recently made my own amino acid solution. It consists of only the top five amino acids that corals take from the water column and a buffer of acetic acid to prevent growth of microbes and increase shelf life.

It's nothing fancy, but if anyone is willing to try some, I'd be happy to bring you a solution. I've been using it for two weeks with a dosage of 5mL per 100 gallons per day. 

• Like 1

How about another raffle prize ? We have 2 Marineland pumps up for grabs! Who doesn't need a pump and those of you who have been doing this for a while know a backup pump is always a good thing to have!! These are roughly 600 GPH .

IMG_0152.JPG

• Like 1

We have some great prizes as always!! Oh yes the meeting is this Saturday!!

How about a 50 dollar gift to the Premium Aquarium in Salem!

Stop on the way back from the meeting ! Hands down this is the best store in Salem!!

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

• Like 3

How about another prize !! We have a brand new algae turf scrubber from Santa Monica Filtration!! I have seen the great results that other people have had with these and just got two for my own tanks. These are hand made and the owner is great about answering questions. 

IMG_0154.JPG

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

How about another prize !! We have a brand new algae turf scrubber from Santa Monica Filtration!! I have seen the great results that other people have had with these and just got two for my own tanks. These are hand made and the owner is great about answering questions. 

IMG_0154.JPG

Fortunately I was already planning on coming because I could use this!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Fortunately I was already planning on coming because I could use this!

Yes I'm excited about getting mine up and running !! They cost about 200 dollars so a chance to win one would be great!!

I tend to wait and see with new technology and I have seen enough successful tanks using them with great results , I took the plunge!

On 4/29/2017 at 11:16 AM, milesmiles902 said:

Don't judge our queen. How could you?!

I judge the queen! There is BBQ sauce on something the club owns... Kim knows all about it. :laugh:

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By badxgillen
      Sorry about the suspense people, after some communication and some coordination with our PNWMAS team, we have some great news!
      The 2019 March meeting will be held at one of our awesome sponsors, Paradise Corals in Hillsboro. Not only is he opening up the floor in his shop for us to come in to meet and greet, but our PNWMAS member WhatTheFrag will be giving a talk and demonstration on reef tank photography! This will be a great time to learn a few thing, aska c ouple questions, and maybe just fine tune some oh those photography skills of yours... I don't know about you, but I know I need all the help I can get.
      Where - Paradise Coral 229 E Main St, Hillsboro, OR 97123
      When - 1:00 Saturday March 30th
      What - Bring your camera if you have one and get a few pointers from some of our photo experienced members...AND, Bring your coolers to keep some corals in cause Mr  Bret has some very nice pieces in his shop.
      This is gonna be another fun one for sure, so save the date and don't miss out on this informative event.
      And as usual, stay tuned for more details about the upcoming shindig.
    • By badxgillen
      Hot Dam!!! The February meeting at PDXMonkeyboys house was a good one, Brian opened up his home to the club for one helluva PNWMAS gathering and Frag Swap. Brian and his wife have a beautiful home, some stellar fish tanks, and made for a knowledgeable and hilarious hosts.

When I got to see the well thought of aquariums and life support systems I was very impressed, this guy has got his systems pretty dialed in.

Here I included a picture of his vibrant African Cichlid tank, it was also a well put together biotope that made me reconsider getting back into that part of the hobby again....If I didn't already have south Americans I would be on the Lake Tanganyika fish hunt right now.

Speaking of those South Americans! Jaggy here was the star fish in his own South American Cichlid tank. I had to squeeze a picture of this guy in because he had so  much character. That's what I love about those cichlids, so much personality there.

Speaking of personalities, here we have the host with the most, PDXMonkeyboy. So kind of you to have us all over, and thank yo so much for the frags! From what I heard you were cutting club members killer deals left and right just sharing the love. Not to mention you had quite a bit of insight on the salt water hobby.

A shout out to our own OptimusPrime, this guy is a hoot! I am hoping next time I head north I can stop by your pad to say whats up, hang out, and see your setup man. You know I am always down to talk reef.

And now look who we have here. Left we have  BicycleBil, middle is Mark, and to the right enjoying the front row aquarium view is Albertareef. All these guys are seasoned and experienced reefers who are great to have a chat with and make for good company.

In this picture we have starting clockwise from the left is, Gill&Fin talking with Willapa, PDXMonkeyboy, and SunCrestReef. Another circle of intelligent reef minded peoples, so many good conversations and so little time.

This time we will start counter clock wise and go from Brian on the far right, middle is MarvkV again, center left is Our ex Prez Stylaster, and the far left is one of our BOD members Lewisfisherman.

And we can't forget about another of our outstanding BOD Members Gumby center. A few folks made their way down from Washington for the event which I think is very cool,  I know all about making a long drive just to hang out with other fellow hobbyist..Let me tell you, these two guys are worth a drive to hang out with.

Gill&Fin and DarkAngel enjoying the meet and greet atmosphere, it is nice to see so many smiling friendly faces here. Scenes like this become almost contagious.

Sharklover made an appearance as well, sounds like I need to head your way when I am in that neck of the woods again. Always seems like you have a cool project going on and I want to hear more about it.
      Meanwhile, in the basement....

Just look at this setup for his sump area! It is located bellow his display tank upstairs. Everything is in its right place and easily accessible. So Jealous of this efficient setup. I will have to take some notes for sure.

And his frag tank...It was packed full of healthy colorful corals and I could't leave without snagging a couple frags to take home. Thank You sir may I have another!?

Jeff from Cuttlefish and Corals on the left and Lewisfisherman on the right of the massive RODI and water mixing station.

Snappy having a good time and picking up some nice coral frags. Thanks for the TFT purchases man, everything helps.

Now here is a group of happy faces getting their frag on! Going clockwise again from far left we have our PNWMAS treasurer Jeremevans, BOD Albertareef, Brian, Willapa, BicycleBil, PDXMonkeyboy, and ZorroReef.

In addition to the frag tank that PDXMonkeyboy had in his basement, he was kind enough to let the club use his coral QT for a Tanks For Teachers sale. We took donations from myself and other fellow hobbyists and sold them for proceeds to the TFT program! We pulled in a nice chunk of change thanks to the participants, you know who you are and we love you all. And we still have a number of pieces that we can work into a future TFT sale for sure.
      Finally, I would like to take a moment to thank all of those responsible for making the event a complete success!
      PDXMonkeyboy for being such a fantastic host and being generous with his time, corals, and knowledge.
      Our outstanding PNWMAS Board of Directors and Officers who work behind the scenes to bring you the forum and events that make us the reefing presence that we are.
      and lastly but not leastly, our PNWMAS club members as a whole...To whom without, there would not be the same local camaraderie that we get from sharing this group. 
      Thank You All!!!
      Reef On!!!
      And PS, I was all over the place and was unable to get photos of everyone so all apologies if I missed your shot in the thread. If anyone has some pics to add to the this one that would be great. There was a good crowd for sure.
    • By badxgillen
      Where does the time go? It is February already, and that means there is another upcoming PNWMAS meet. This time we have something special for you, our comedic and ingenuitive member PDXMonkeyboy has been gracious enough to host a full blown frag swap at his home in Portland Oregon! In addition to the free for all coral exchanging we will have a tank onsite to float frags and a coral sale to benefit the Tanks For Teachers program.
      This means there will be corals of all sorts, from all over, at one place! for trade, for sale, and even maybe just for free if you get that winning raffle ticket. This also means you all might want to get ready for the event by seeing what you may have to offer up and what you may be looking for to fill that empty spot in your home aquarium. I will post up one of those ever so popular Frag Trading threads here
      http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/topic/44400-frag-swap-thread-february-2019/
      so we can keep this thread to our regular banter and various updates as they come through.
      When- February 24th 1:00 PM.
      Where- Portland Oregon 917 SW palatine street
      Parking:  There is a long looping driveway and a parking area next to the house.  You can park in the street or anywhere in the driveway.  There will likely just be shuffling when its time to go.
      Our PNWMAS club will provide some refreshments and some delectable local pizza for those who attend.  

So get those frag racks out and filled up then stay tuned, this is gonna be a good one!

• By badxgillen
      The first meet of the year of 2019 was held a the Upscales Saltwater and Reptile pet store located in Tualatin Oregon, and boy was it a riot!!!
      It had been about a year since I was last in the Upscales store and things were looking better than ever! A new back coral system that I had yet to see was full of colorful goodies, and the rest of the store was just as awesome as I always remember it. Cool corals and vibrant fish tucked into every corner of the shop, YES!
      Not just frags here in this shop but many many colonies as well. I have made a few great purchases from this store by just simply sharing the costs and breaking a colony apart. Win Win in my book right there. In fact were talking a little about an Upscales Grow Out in the future perhaps, no shortage of jewels here.

Everything was so crisp and clean, I was certainly impressed, as usual. So many corals and so little space, love how the corals each get their own little bungalows.

I couldn't help myself but to walk away with some killer coral, JeremEvans and I went in on a colony of a gold Millipora and a go at the Echinata Acropora.

Travis packing up some goodies on the right here and Kelly Limpit getting the merchandise. The Upscales team was outstanding at their job and never skipped a beat of fish netting and coral bagging fun. And believe me, there was a ton of fun.

As you can guess it didn't take long for the socializing to get started and the party to get lively. I have to point out again how organized and clean the facility was, open isles and stocked shelves were very nice. I could look at corals and dry goods all while being in a conversation with my peers.

In this pic we have far left Jeremevans our club treasurer, middle- LewisFisherman from our Board Of Directors, and right-Gumby also one of our outstanding B.O.D. Jim here always has something interesting to talk about and once again this meeting is no exception. A little coral chat with the boys I see. I will see about setting aside a couple frags of those Acros I was talking about and we will see if they color up some more. Gotta Share the Love.

Youcallmeny and his daughter sitting in the full blown 20,000 Kelvin and actinics blaring out of the surounding reef tanks. Youcallmeny is another one of our awesome PNWMAS Board Of Directors helping behind the scenes when he can.

A change of the blue actinics to back outside. Here we have ZorroReef with a few primo mushroom frags. You got me sold on looking into some of the finer shroom specimens. Now I have to save my money or break my piggy bank, for soft corals those can get pretty spendy man. And I though my Acros were costly.

One of the highlights of this meeting was that SuncrestReef here brought his microscope along with n attachment meant for holding a cell phone. This meant that you could take pictures and or video of the subjects very easily. This here is a copepod being put on the glass and under the scope.

As you can see the system worked flawlessly, the quality was very good, and allowed fro some amazing shots.

Here is the tip claw of one of the legs, our microcosm is so fascinating. I might lose a lot of my free time in a microscope unit like this if I had one, it would be like my own nature show right in my home living room.

Thank You so much for bringing this in and letting us all get a glimpse of the miniature world in the reef tanks we all own. I imagine we would be interested in another future demonstration if you would be willing Suncrestreef.

Trailerman about to take advantage of that old Upscales SPS frag special. I used to hit up this section first, but over time I developed a different route to take before hitting the Acroporas and other SPS up for grabs. Don't want to blow it all before you know what is there.

Natedawg left appearing to be jealous of the old school PNWMAS T-Shirt he doesn't have and can no longer get. Just kidding around here, kind of. Laughing about it is the very stylish Walt!...Which reminds me, we need some of those new shirts and cards for our upcoming annual Frag Fest.

Vance and his daughter up taking the serene view of all the beautiful corals, there is a lot to take in so I see why two sets of eyes are better than one.
      Once raffle time comes up people get serious...Okay, not serious, maybe a little goofy actually.

Get Your Tickets!!! BicycleBill sharing his contagious smile with everyone else in the room. One of the old school reefers that has always been generous to his fellow hobbyist. Like I said, I will get a couple other Acroporas cut for you and we will see how they do in different aquariums systems. Developing colors in ocean specimens is always exciting.

The professional rafflers here, FlashyFins and ALbertareef, top notch officers on our PNWMAS club. They both pull more weight behind the scenes than most of us will ever know, thanks you two, we appreciate it...
      And now to commence in some winning pictures.

PDXMonkeyboy wins the Seachem Gift pack with a variety of cool products. I had my eye on that and threw a couple tickets in but as they say, to the victor goes the spoils. PDXMonkeyboy and OptimusPrime here would make great sales reps for any form of goods, just look at the genuine excitement and satisfaction. Both of you two are hilarious. Far right here we have Gill&Fin trying to stay out of the camera shutter, Gotcha!

Speaking of OptimusPrime, he had a winning ticket for the mini Aquatic Life R.O. system. Those are so compact I love it, my home unit takes up a huge portion of a wall and I hate it.

Willapa winning the Gyre pumps!.. That's right, both of the pumps were won by Wilapa in the raffles fair and square. But being an amazing sport, he passed off the other Gyre back into the prize lot for another name to be drawn for the win. What a stand up guy, if you want a frag or two from my tank I can make that happen no problem, thanks for doing that man.

And here we have Flashyfins, right, handing off the generously re-prized Gyre to BOD LewisFisherman. Flashyfins is also our new Tanks For Teachers coordinator so be sure to give her a round of applause.
      All in all, as usual, it was a wonderful time. Got to meet some new folks, got to chat with some of the old crew, and snagged me some nice corals from one of my favorite reefer shops, Upscales.
      Thank you all for helping make this happen, thank you all at Upscales for hosting, and thank you all for attending and making this a fun and productive meeting. Definitely a success!
      Like I always say, our club PNWMAS ROCKS!!!

Reef on everyone!
    • By badxgillen
      Happy New Year!!!
      To kick things off in 2019 we are going to be taking a trip to one of the most old school salt water shops around, Upscales.

Known for their killer salt water fish, amazing corals, and exotic reptiles, Upscales has a little something for everyone. Join us at the end of the month for a meet and greet at one of our oldest sponsors to get your reef on. I still have my Oregon Tort and my Upscales Microlados but I am sure Travis and his crew will have a plethora of other must have corals in stock that I will be tempted to walk away with, gotta hit up those buy one get another coral half off deals. And they always have nice clams and anemones to choose from as well.
      Here are the basic details below.
      Time---Sunday January the 27th at 1:00PM
      Address---19295 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, OR 97062
      Stay tuned for updates on the event as they roll in, there is always something brewing here in the PNWMAS club.