PNWMAS May Meet North West Aquatics Tour 2017

badxgillen

We are happy to announce that the PNWMAS May meeting will be a behind the scenes tour of North West Aquatics marine aquaculture breeding facility.

The lead aquarist Colby will be giving a talk on wild caught and captive marine fish quarantine procedures as well as ideal treatments to follow. After the speech he will take us on a tour of his facility and explain some of the details of clown fish & seahorse breeding and what goes into culturing the live foods to keep them happy.

At the end of it all we will get a chance to see his prized weedy sea dragons in person and that is a rare treat indeed. These things are amazing! These cell phone pictures do them no justice, I will have my real camera next time I go in, the first shot is when they were tiny babies.

Resized leafy dragon 2.jpg

Once the actual presentation and tour are over there will be a raffle and frag swap to participate in, that is if your not too busy engaging in conversation with all the other reefers there. Miles and I will be bringing in an aquarium to put the corals in so we can do this proper, as usual there will be a separate thread for that exchange here shortly.

North West Aquatics will also be offering up a very nice frag pack for the raffle in addition to our usual PNWMAS prizes so stay tuned for that,  let me tell you he has some pretty good looking corals up in there.

So come one come all and join us for a another great PNWMAS meeting and a killer coral exchange, these are going to be some informative discussions that's for sure, you won't want to miss out on this one..

Oh, almost forgot to mention that pizza and sodas will be provided so not to worry if you get the munchies before the raffle, your club has you covered!

Being only two weeks away you really want to get that day off of work fast so you will be able to attend,

the day will be Saturday May 6th: 2 -4 p.m. at North West Aquatics 

33740 99Hwy East Tangent Oregon

resized leafy dragon 1.jpg

These guys are so cool, mother nature s so incredible.

20170423_092056.jpg

• Like 9

Bump!

This meeting is going to be worth the drive, Portland peeps!

Do you want to know how to breed seahorses or clownfish? Colby is one of the best and can show us how he does it in his facility.

Do you want to know how to raise live foods? Colby has that going too.

How about how to prevent the spread of common fish diseases and the optimal quarantine setup. Colby's got that covered too.

I should take a notebook along to this meeting. Fish school is in session. :yippee:

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Mchums said:

I have a very well behaved 10 year old that will definitely want to come w me - kids allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to have kids interested in attending to help carry the torch.   Be prepared to come home with a sea dragon though - I can't imagine a kid (or adult really) who won't want one of those!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

How about another raffle item? I have 2 25 dollar gift certificates to TPA Wilsonville. Also officially in May they will be known as All Things Aquarium. This is still the same great store under the same ownership rhe only thing that has changed is the name !

IMG_2339.JPG

Did you spill a little saltwater on those gift certificates, Kim? :laugh:

• Like 1

I recently made my own amino acid solution. It consists of only the top five amino acids that corals take from the water column and a buffer of acetic acid to prevent growth of microbes and increase shelf life.

It's nothing fancy, but if anyone is willing to try some, I'd be happy to bring you a solution. I've been using it for two weeks with a dosage of 5mL per 100 gallons per day. 

• Like 1

How about another prize !! We have a brand new algae turf scrubber from Santa Monica Filtration!! I have seen the great results that other people have had with these and just got two for my own tanks. These are hand made and the owner is great about answering questions. 

IMG_0154.JPG

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

How about another prize !! We have a brand new algae turf scrubber from Santa Monica Filtration!! I have seen the great results that other people have had with these and just got two for my own tanks. These are hand made and the owner is great about answering questions. 

IMG_0154.JPG

Fortunately I was already planning on coming because I could use this!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Fortunately I was already planning on coming because I could use this!

Yes I'm excited about getting mine up and running !! They cost about 200 dollars so a chance to win one would be great!!

I tend to wait and see with new technology and I have seen enough successful tanks using them with great results , I took the plunge!