Bta

jonas503

So I bought a bta yesterday and it looked great in the store. When I got home I noticed in the bag that it's mouth was really wide and open.

I acclimated it and it blew up and looked like it did in the store. But I could see it's mouth is still very wide. Now today it looks like this. My water parameters are all fine and the other nems in my tank are doing great.

So my question is will this nem be able to come back and be ok? Or is it on its way out?948af9ff80218da1a1c768b0d1fd39bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I bought a bta yesterday and it looked great in the store. When I got home I noticed in the bag that it's mouth was really wide and open.
I acclimated it and it blew up and looked like it did in the store. But I could see it's mouth is still very wide. Now today it looks like this. My water parameters are all fine and the other nems in my tank are doing great.
So my question is will this nem be able to come back and be ok? Or is it on its way out?948af9ff80218da1a1c768b0d1fd39bb.jpg

Try feeding it.

• Like 1

That wasn't a good thing it was open in the bag. It looks better now but I would give it time. Check your salinity and nitrates. Lower the light levels a bit to acclimate it. 

Hope for the best.. water changes are always helpful but make sure the temps and salinity match

That wasn't a good thing it was open in the bag. It looks better now but I would give it time. Check your salinity and nitrates. Lower the light levels a bit to acclimate it. 
Hope for the best.. water changes are always helpful but make sure the temps and salinity match

Yeah my water prams are really good. I'll lower the light lvl. Thanks.

I've had most my nems do this. After a day or so they look fine. Imagine how much stress it just went through. As long as your water is good, it should be fine.

Ok awesome. Thanks.

I have bought 3 BTA's. The first one, a rose, did great at first then started to look like yours does more and more, it didnt make it.  I pulled it out when it looked like yours for 4 days straight.  I purchased another rose BTA a few months later and it has been doing amazing. It has even split 2 times now so i have 3 of that guy and all are very healthy and colorful. They never looked like that before they split, they would just deflate a little and close up like normal at night and the next morning there would be 2. After my healthy one split the first time i purchased a green BTA and it has had days where it looks good and days where it looks sick. In fact today its not looking to hot. Never looks sick for more then a day at a time tho. I think they are all different some do well and some dont, at least thats my experience.

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

image.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jonas503 said:

Not good. It has a hole where it's mouth was. So it looks like a donut shaped. It's on my back wall near the top just sitting there. Hasn't moved since yesterday morning. 9ad58e9faf64b9aef4125e990f34512d.jpg

It's a goner. Flush it before it crashes the tank.. If it doesn't look happy in the morning and isn't already floating I would pull it. Check the temp to make sure it's not running hot

Man tough call, the dimpled footing at the top makes me think dying on the way out. But without that it does look like it might just be splitting. If it ends up looking like webs of mucus or stuff pull it before it fouls things. 

DONT TOSS IT YET! I have about 16 bta's right now and the hole you're describing and the way it looks in your last pic looks like it may be starting to stress split. I've had several of mine do this, it will look a bit like it's stretching on the sides. I would personally wait and you could even try feeding it a little, but other than that I'd just keep an eye on it and try not to mess with it too much. If it starts to get a *melty* look (don't know how else to describe it lol) then you can consider tossing it. I've had them look like pure death then with some patience and feeding them come back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk