Torts growing real "stringy"

dayze9

2 hours ago, dayze9 said:

No thread. It was a quick build. My wife went to Georgia for training for 4 days, and i put a tank  in the wall while she was gone. It's the old expression... It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I'm slowly (painfully slow) seeding it with frags. The thought was if i start with a frag it will look totally natural as it grows out, like it belongs there and wasn't just placed. Well, it looks the same either way, so i might just start throwing colonies in there. 

lol im guessing she's afraid to leave the house for an extended period of time. You got it up pretty quickly !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

lol im guessing she's afraid to leave the house for an extended period of time. You got it up pretty quickly !

Yeah, i wanted it to look perfect when she got home, to ease her frustration. At least from the living room. The spare bedroom the tank is sitting in is a little less impressive. She was pissed anyway. We're pretty much out of room at this point, if she were to leave for any period of time there is not much left i can do. I have a couple Wyland paintings I'm going to put around it just to add to the ambiance, but nothing that requires permission or forgiveness.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Nice looking tank! In wall fo sure on the next house. Probably a couple of them actually. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's one of the reasons it took me so long to do the build. I wasn't sure if we would be moving anytime in the near future. A couple would be nice, but unless I throw them in a hallway (which I wouldn't mind doing) I'm not sure it would be worth the extra strain on my marriage.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 9:17 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Do corals exhibit tropism? That is, a direct response to environmental conditions; in this case flow?
Plants in windy areas will have thicker stems.. because the tissue in the stem is being torn by the wind and reparing itself. Curious to know if coral exhibit the same thing... and more interesting..how? .

Here is a pic of one of my tanks, it may be hard to see, where the coral seems to be stunted by the powerhead flow.

IMG_0449.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Alright here's the full tank shot. It looks better with the lights on... :clap:
IMG_428.jpg.bc82cbae21e43296b0acc5b5cd24f878.jpg

Hey I'm pretty sure I've seen this in person, I believe I got a bunch of Mushrooms and some rock when you took down a tank a few months ago. Hillsboro right? Looked awesome [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 12:23 AM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

well in plants.. the apical meristem, it is controlled by hormones.. auxin to be specific. I would think that it has to hormonal as well.
My curiosity was peaked when i read that frags grow faster when placed on their side (even though every single one i see on this site are always vertical) that leads me to think there is some type of hormone that is being produced in the newly growing tissue that regulates other growth.
But alas, this is all just guessing on my part and projecting my botanical knowledge on to coral.

Stray botanical knowledge floats around this hobby a lot.  Your theory of low stress topping holds true with my own observations of sps that is placed sideways.   I would very much like to see if their is some kind of hormonal equivalent to the auxins and cytokinens that cause this behavior in plants. 

• Like 1