Nobody told me!!!

pdxmonkeyboy

ok, so i knew it was going to smell a little bad. i have been on the beach at low tide, hell, i even worked on a commercial fishing boat (trust me, there was no shower, everything smelled).

But nobody told me that skimmate smells like mexican vacation vomit that was put in a plastic bag and placed in the sun for a week!

cleaned our a full cup for the first time. hmmm, what does that smell like?. SNIFFFF.. OH MY GOD!

[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was talking about this to a friend not too long ago. You will find that different tanks and different "wetness" of skimmate can have various degrees of raunchiness.

For instance I have a maintenance account that I only visit every two weeks and that skimmer can get pretty ripe but more of a rotten egg smell. My main tank has some dinoflagellates and its skimmate smells like rotten cabbage. Maybe some of you have noticed that hen you get an anemone caught in a pump the wet skim aftermath smells like ocean/dead fish, And then there is the straight toilet rank smell that I would say is most classic of skimmers, this variety of smell welcomes me when I come to change out the frag tank skimmers.

Anyhow, I hear you Brian, those skimmers are basically the tanks septic system in concentrate...All those fish farts in one container.

I was curing a batch of live rock here recently and the first week had daily changing of the cups. I actualy told a few customers..." Ok, so the smell like someone just farted......that will be gone in a week. We just got an order of live rock and it has a certain flavor at first "  lol

• Like 2