Guest speaker ideas?

Emerald525

So it's been a while since we have had a major guest speaker. In the past we have had the likes of some nationally known speakers like Bob Fenner, Richard Ross and Matt Pederson.

You all have some great ideas and just wanted some thoughts about who you would like as a guest speaker.

If you need some ideas take a look at the Macna Speakers or if there is someone you have in mind now is the time to speak up!

Everyone I can think of off the top of my head is not as well-known as we're going for and just happens to talk a lot about things that personally interest me, myself, and I. :laugh:

I'm on this, though. I'll start looking at reef stars through a different lens, one that involves other people enjoying the talk. :happy:

• Like 1

So bummed I missed Fenner! He's a hero of mine.

I'd be interested in hearing Caitlin Lee of Quality Marine. Industry media creative, captive breeding and sustainability knowledge and experience, based on the west coast. I won't be going to MACNA, but if I did I'd make it a point not to miss her. 

http://macnaconference.org/2017/speakers/caitlin-lee/

Here's a link to one of her online projects:

http://www.reefmusings.com/

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Laura Simmons

Every kind of YES to this suggestion!  I tossed her name to the board when we first started talking about this, but since no one else echoed, I thought maybe it was just me touting my own personal preferences. Her MACNA talk was probably my favorite ever, although I've certainly not seen them all. It wasn't full of glamorous reef tanks, but it had practical applications for improving our fish buying habits and was, in my opinion, completely captivating. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fisher15 said:

Is there an objective for the guest speakers?  Are they just entertainment?  What knowledge are we trying to improve?

Entertainment and furthering knowledge, although I think the area of knowledge does not need to be in any specific direction. Just something that applies to our hobby and leaves people feeling like they learned more than they could on reef forums and such. I know when we had Marc Levenson, many of us were surprised to learn the myth about popping bubble algae leading to it spreading was completely inconsistent with how it actually reproduces. We walked away knowing a pop was no big deal, among many other things.

Hunter Hammond is the person I'm most looking forward to seeing a talk from at this year's MACNA (not sure I can go, but bless the peeps who upload videos after the fact). Might be another suggestion more to my own liking than others', but might as well toss his name into the ring and see! 

2 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

I tossed her name to the board when we first started talking about this, but since no one else echoed, I thought maybe it was just me touting my own personal preferences.

Ha! I went back and looked at my suggestion to the board and now see the reason no one jumped in with, "Me, too!" is because I typed the wrong name. :doh:  It was another MACNA speaker I won't bring up here, since that person's presentation was nowhere near as good. I'm glad to see I erred, because now I know it was nothing against Laura Simmons that no one was in support of a speaker who is a totally different person! 

Laura Simmons = YES!! :mermaid:

other person I suggested in error - nah, not as interesting :dejection:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stugots said:

I just watched Laura Simmons talk from MACNA 2016 on YouTube. Though she seemed a bit nervous (public speaking is hard!), she is an excellent source of timely info. Would be great to see her live. 

I agree and loved her accent too! :) It was things I suspected but good to see evidence and really makes you think about what it takes to get a fish in your tank.

Jason Fox did a nice presentation in Houston Reef Currents about his approach to reefing, his system, and his collection trip, video on you tube

Steve Tyree offers a more sophisticated approach to reefing and full of knowledge.

Either will be a good choice.

Laura Birenbaum will be a good choice also, topic about aquaculture coral in closed system

15 minutes ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Jason Fox did a nice presentation in Houston Reef Currents about his approach to reefing, his system, and his collection trip, video on you tube

Steve Tyree offers a more sophisticated approach to reefing and full of knowledge.

Either will be a good choice.

Laura Birenbaum will be a good choice also, topic about aquaculture coral in closed system

I talked to Mattv about Steve Tyree and I guess he doesn't fly. Seeing as he lives in Abilene, TX now that does not look like a possibility. I just saw a post that Jason Fox did a presentation. It sounds like one of the first. I will have to look up Laura Birenbaum.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, Emerald525 said:

I agree and loved her accent too! :) It was things I suspected but good to see evidence and really makes you think about what it takes to get a fish in your tank.

Ditto. Most have heard those things, but then people in the industry want to tell you it no longer goes on, that it's old news and outdated info. Challenging that as a hobbyist who's only been doing this a few years isn't always taken seriously. She has the credentials, the evidence, and the willingness to get up and say her colleagues are spreading false information. I also appreciated her confirmation that Fiji is a good source and headed towards the quality of Australia and Hawaii. I would love to ask her opinion on some of the other locales, such as PNG and Vanuatu, because I've heard mixed things. 

Ha, I had to go back and watch again to listen for an accent. I don't catch one... is something wrong with my ears?  This reminds me of being in Adelaide in 2005 and being astonished that no one, and I mean no one, sounded like Steve Irwin. :laugh:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

Ditto. Most have heard those things, but then people in the industry want to tell you it no longer goes on, that it's old news and outdated info. Challenging that as a hobbyist who's only been doing this a few years isn't always taken seriously. She has the credentials, the evidence, and the willingness to get up and say her colleagues are spreading false information. I also appreciated her confirmation that Fiji is a good source and headed towards the quality of Australia and Hawaii. I would love to ask her opinion on some of the other locales, such as PNG and Vanuatu, because I've heard mixed things. 

Ha, I had to go back and watch again to listen for an accent. I don't catch one... is something wrong with my ears? 

She's from Australia ??