Sirena's New Sun Coral! Thanks Cuttlefish

Emerald525

Well we stopped at Cuttlefish last Saturday to pick up our sps growout frag and as many of you know, you don't get out of Cuttlefish without spending money because there is just too much cool stuff there!:drool:

Sirena has been wanting a sun coral for a while and she just couldn't leave this little gem there! This is a nice Aussie variety and we love it!

Thanks Jeff!:peace:

suncoral.jpg

• Like 4

Nice! I have always liked these and have kept them before in my mixed reef.  The initial challenge was getting them to open at a regular time for feeding but they eventually seemed to get in sync.  Did you get any tricks from Jeff or others on how best to entice them out?  I am guessing these are going in with Fred and Ginger so they should get exposed to a fairly regular feeding schedule.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Nice! I have always liked these and have kept them before in my mixed reef.  The initial challenge was getting them to open at a regular time for feeding but they eventually seemed to get in sync.  Did you get any tricks from Jeff or others on how best to entice them out?  I am guessing these are going in with Fred and Ginger so they should get exposed to a fairly regular feeding schedule.

Enjoy!

Yes they are in the seahorse tank. Funny you mention that Sean. This picture was taken first thing in the morning and Sirena said they only open up at this time. And I told her that you have to train them to eat during the day by feeding them during the day.

So what does she do... She feeds it anyway.

Suncoral 1 Sirena 0 :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Yes they are in the seahorse tank. Funny you mention that Sean. This picture was taken first thing in the morning and Sirena said they only open up at this time. And I told her that you have to train them to eat during the day by feeding them during the day.

Suncoral 1 Sirena 0 :)

Haha!  Too funny... just like our cats - they spend their entire lives trying to train their humans!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Haha!  Too funny... just like our cats - they spend their entire lives trying to train their humans!

Sirena is listed in the animal world's training manuals as very easy to train. She's like on the level of golden retrievers! :)

Me on the other hand would be in the difficult for expert only animal :)

She used to sit out with her dog to keep him company to make sure he ate so I'm not surprised about the sun coral. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

Sirena is listed in the animal world's training manuals as very easy to train. She's like on the level of golden retrievers! :)

Me on the other hand would be in the difficult for expert only animal :)

She used to sit out with her dog to keep him company to make sure he ate so I'm not surprised about the sun coral. :)

Well - my wife and I are kind of right there with Sirena I'm afraid.  No doubt the critters figure that out and use it to their best advantage!  Good luck with the sun coral - at least it should be less devious than our cats!

• Like 2

I never had any problems training my sun coral, but maybe I got lucky. It was almost always open, then lost in the great tank crash of 2015. :nooo:

I am on the hunt for another, but I want to start small with no more than 10 heads, which seems tough to find in the style of my old beauty:

DSC_9446.jpg

I've seen one or two small frags in the last few months, but they looked like dirt, so the search for a healthy specimen of small size in the classic style continues. 

Looking back through my old pictures, I spy another NPS I had. A chili coral might do well in Sirena's tank. Mine did great as long as I was dumping in ridiculous amounts of food, then withered away after about a year, once I wised up about nutrient overload and calmed down on the daily tank feasts. 

DSC_8726a.jpg

• Like 4

Suncoral 1 Sirena 0 [emoji4]

Hey hey hey. I do occasionally troll this forum [emoji849]be nice to me. It was open and hungry so I fed it [emoji847] and yes the sun coral has me trained I went running to feed it [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I never had any problems training my sun coral, but maybe I got lucky. It was almost always open, then lost in the great tank crash of 2015. :nooo:
I am on the hunt for another, but I want to start small with no more than 10 heads, which seems tough to find in the style of my old beauty:
DSC_9446.jpg
I've seen one or two small frags in the last few months, but they looked like dirt, so the search for a healthy specimen of small size in the classic style continues. 
Looking back through my old pictures, I spy another NPS I had. A chili coral might do well in Sirena's tank. Mine did great as long as I was dumping in ridiculous amounts of food, then withered away after about a year, once I wised up about nutrient overload and calmed down on the daily tank feasts. 
DSC_8726a.jpg

That looks awesome! I will totally have to check out the chili coral. I do feed my tank a great deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sirena said:

Hey hey hey. I do occasionally troll this forum emoji849.pngbe nice to me. It was open and hungry so I fed it emoji847.png and yes the sun coral has me trained I went running to feed it emoji848.png

Well, at least I confessed to being the same way :) I sadly forgot to check out the seahorse tank when I was over last week so missed Fred and Ginger.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sirena said:

Hey hey hey. I do occasionally troll this forum emoji849.pngbe nice to me. It was open and hungry so I fed it emoji847.png and yes the sun coral has me trained I went running to feed it emoji848.png

Well it's a good thing then that I wouldn't post something I wouldn't say to your face!:peace: Hey I compared you to a Golden Retriever. How bad is that? :shock:

21 minutes ago, albertareef said:

That was a beautiful sun coral Cherany!  Indeed, a ahili could be cool in a seahorse tank. Is that a blue/purple favia to the left of the chili?  That was sweet!

That is a lavender favia with green eyes. Hopefully Kim and Sirena don't mind me taking over this show-off thread with a very off-topic story, but that favia brings up quite the memories...

I went to buy that piece from a forum member (can't remember his name, so I have no idea if he's still around - if he's reading this, hello!), and we met up at the zoo. My car had only a little gas in it at the time, but I figured I could make it. Except, I forgot about rush hour traffic and all the uphill slopes to get there. My car barely made it on its last ounce of fuel. After paying for the coral and watching the guy drive away, my car wouldn't go anywhere. Seriously, zero movement except downhill in neutral; absolutely no gas left in the tank. I called my then-wife to bring me gas, and she had a good laugh, because she's the, "Omg, I only have 3/4 of a tank left!" type, and I am the, "I know my car. I still have an ounce left!" type. We had a gas can lying around with a little bit in it, so she brought that. It was enough to get to a station. After the attendant filled me up, I noticed my gas gauge did not move. Great, I broke it by letting the car run out of gas, I thought. Well, whatever, on my way!  

So, we're driving along, and my car seems super sluggish. At some point, it wouldn't go anymore. I had to abandon it in the middle of the intersection over where Seahorse used to be, the spot where you normally turn at the light to go downhill to his place. Being an industrial area, tractor trailers kept pulling up behind my car and blowing their horns like crazy before realizing no one was in the vehicle; I watched from the sidelines and crossed my fingers my car didn't end up smashed. Wasn't long before a cop came by and helped us push it out of the street. We were sure I had damaged something by running out of gas, so we had the car towed. Next day, we hear from the auto garage that the thing wrong with my car is that there is NO GAS IN IT.

I scramble for the receipt where I bought gas, because I filled up, and there is absolutely no way I used a whole tank of gas on a 5 to 10-minute drive! Can't find the receipt; maybe he didn't give me one, or I said no to one (I often do). I check my bank account; no sign of any gas-related transaction in the recent past, not even pending. Suddenly, I remembered the gas attendant acting funny after fill-up, like he wasn't sure what to do or how to hang the pump back up. At the time, I thought maybe it was his first day. Well, first day or not, the idiot didn't put any gas in my car!  And if he suspected something was wrong, he didn't bother to tell me!  It made me really, really hate the law in Oregon! At least when I pump my own [language filter] gas, I know it's in there! But, you know, that was summertime, and as soon as the cold and rainy winter months arrived, I was back to thinking we have it pretty sweet in Oregon, not having to get out of our cars for that. :joking:

Unfortunately, the favia did not survive long. My urchin would knock it into the sand every single day, and I guess I didn't have the sense to glue it down at the time (I know I'm not coming off too bright after that gas story, but whatevs! :D). I also had it in too much light for a while, being new to the hobby and not knowing any better. Haven't seen another like it since. 

DSC_8769a.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TaylorW said:

That Chili coral is awesome! I've personally never seen one before and I really want one. Anyone know where to buy one lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

I'm sure Jeff could order one or any of the other stores. ? It is cool . Thanks for sharing Cherany. I will definitely ask about ordering one. Maybe he could get me one by store tour time!?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TaylorW said:

That Chili coral is awesome! I've personally never seen one before and I really want one. Anyone know where to buy one lol

The only place I have seen healthy looking specimens for sale is Divers Den, but that's not to say you couldn't get a nice one locally, especially if you pick it up soon after the store gets it. Stores aren't able to feed them multiple times a day, so once it's been without food for a couple of weeks, it's not going to be in great shape.

I won mine as a raffle prize at a PNWMAS club meeting!  Summer of 2013 in Eugene; I believe that was the last year we had a big event there, as the guy who hosted tore down his glorious 800-gallon system that year or the next.  I don't know who donated the corals, but I won the chili coral and a silk flower tree coral (similar to carnation coral, but without visible veins on the stalks - they're not actually called veins, but I don't remember the name for it). The flower tree coral is deemed impossible to keep by most, and I would agree. Was beautiful while it lasted, but that wasn't for long.

DSC_8397.jpg

DSC_8426.jpg

And since this thread is turning into a whatever-fest...  :backtotopic:  :nooo:  :angel:

Another picture of the chili coral, followed by a barely related, but entertaining picture of a bad@ss scoly trying to eat an urchin. :blink:

DSC_9249.jpg

DSC_9097.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

The only place I have seen healthy looking specimens for sale is Divers Den, but that's not to say you couldn't get a nice one locally, especially if you pick it up soon after the store gets it. Stores aren't able to feed them multiple times a day, so once it's been without food for a couple of weeks, it's not going to be in great shape.

I won mine as a raffle prize at a PNWMAS club meeting!  Summer of 2013 in Eugene; I believe that was the last year we had a big event there, as the guy who hosted tore down his glorious 800-gallon system that year or the next.  I don't know who donated the corals, but I won the chili coral and a silk flower tree coral (similar to carnation coral, but without visible veins on the stalks - they're not actually called veins, but I don't remember the name for it). The flower tree coral is deemed impossible to keep by most, and I would agree. Was beautiful while it lasted, but that wasn't for long.

DSC_8397.jpg

DSC_8426.jpg

And since this thread is turning into a whatever-fest...  :backtotopic:  :nooo:  :angel:

Another picture of the chili coral, followed by a barely related, but entertaining picture of a bad@ss scoly trying to eat an urchin. :blink:

DSC_9249.jpg

DSC_9097.jpg

Haha!  To be fair, the scoly vs. urchin death match pic does have a sun coral in it :)  And it is pretty cool besides...

8 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Haha!  To be fair, the scoly vs. urchin death match pic does have a sun coral in it :) 

And the chili coral!  I'm totally on-topic!  :angel:

Even my out of gas story was really just the telling of, "What would you do for love  a Klondike bar  favia coral?" 

• Like 3