FINALLY back at it - question on stocking my reef

Mchums

Been a very long time since I was on here, but finally have a new tank up and running.  It's only a 6g nano, but it's a start.  I know this is a the main tank thread but I really wanted some opinions from the broader group on stocking (it won't take much)!   As with any tank though, it'll be swapped out with something bigger down the road.  I've built the following config scenario's that I want thoughts on (good, bad, no way in hell!)...etc.  Or if there are other thought's, Please let me know!  Obviously want coral too - but budget has to ease into it all.....

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions!

Config 1

Firefish

Flaming prawn goby OR Hi Fin Red Banded Goby              

Pistol shrimp

* Be nice to have some swimmers in there - but too small for any swimmers?

Config 2

Firefish

Neogonodactylus wennerae ( Caribbean Rock Mantis Shrimp )

* Interesting tank BUT – it’s glass which the Mantis could break, sand is shallow (only about an inch deep) and the may not be a good idea to have a firefish as it could very well be eaten.  Right??

Config 3

Firefish

Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp Pair

* Another cool mix scenario.

- M

• Like 1

What are the dimensions of the tank? I find that matters more than gallons when choosing inhabitants, especially when it comes to fish. 

Firefish shouldn't be a problem, though. Mine swims around some, but mostly sticks to an area that's about 5 gallons in my 20 long.

I think that would be plenty of space for a firefish and one of the tiny goby/pistol pairs you listed.  I don't think it's too small for a swimming fish, if chosen carefully. Not an easy find or a cheap one, but the Swales swissguard basslet might work, or you could do a royal gramma or blackcap basslet. Another possibility would be a possum wrasse. All of those fish swim, but not really out in the open like a chromis; they're rock huggers. You could do a chromis, although I personally find them pretty bland except in large shoals. A banngai cardinal would be a good fit, and they do fine kept singly. Lots of possibilities. I think if you keep up on water quality, you would do fine with 1 small rock-hugging/swimming fish, 1 firefish, and 1 small goby/pistol pair.  The firefish will swim a little, but mostly hover in place. 

I don't know enough about the mantis shrimp to advise on that, but my possibly misinformed first thought is, wouldn't it eat your fish?

I second the idea of a possum wrasse. We had one and it was a real slow gentle moving fish that liked to hang close to the rocks so would probably feel right at home. Seahorse has them once in a while. I think they are pretty cool looking as well shape of a mystery wrasse but smaller and different coloring. 

2 hours ago, Stugots said:

Looking forward to an update and pics. Sounds like a fun project. That Swales Swissguard Basslet mentioned above looks awesome. I looked online and saw that there are actually two species, a Swales (or Swalesi) and a Swissguard, the latter being quite expensive. 

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist.asp?cid=11&did=1

There are actually quite a few more, but most don't make it into the hobby with much regularity. The one usually referred to simply as Swissguard is about twice the price of the Swalesi, but the really expensive one you may have come across is the candy basslet!  Get ready to shell out $600+!  No, thank you, I say. The $60'ish Swales Swissguard is just fine by me. :cool: 

On 4/5/2017 at 4:25 AM, Stugots said:

Another possibility is the Tailspot Blenny. Entertaining and helps with algae control. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-tailspot-blenny  

Never had one myself, but I've heard many people go on about how entertaining theirs is and how much joy they get out of having one. They stay small, which is always good with a nano tank. Fair warning, they aren't quite as vivid in color as the photo on that website shows. I'd say this is more accurate:

1st%20fish%20-%20tailspot%20blenny.jpg

• 3 weeks later...