Brown jelly tank death, and Woops, originally posted in General Discussion

LadAShark

Sooo, I recently purchased a 120 gallon fully set up tank, with several square feet of acros, montiporas, and a bunch of zoas and softies. While dismantling I noticed a broken piece of montipora hiding under rock with what looked like brown slime. I didn't think too much into it. 5 days later everything except some softies and acros are melted and gone. 2 more days later and I wasn't able to save softies. The acros have highly bleached, and will too probably die soon. As evidenced by the post date, I've been losing a lot of sleep over this. At the moment the plan is to cure all the live rock, bake the sand, attempt to save the acros (with perhaps some iodine dips), and start anew. I have the acros out and in a tank with heating and circulation, but not gonna go after some coral baby sitters because I am worried that this plague will spread to other people's tanks.  

Pretty darn sad now...

:(

Will post picks of sadness and death if any of you are interested D:

Edited by LadAShark

Ah, so sad, sorry to hear it.  

Sometimes that happens when moving a tank.  Not sure what the cause is, there can be so many.  One that comes to mind... Allot of people recommend tossing the sand when moving an existing setup.  It gets old and nasty, and the move gets it stirred up.

I would hesitate on cooking all the rock if this was an existing system and you are trying to save coral.  If you are starting over though it's a great idea.

If you want to ask someone in your area to coral babysit you may save quite a bit of stuff.  @stylaster and @Saltwater newbie saved allot of my coral when I had a big die off.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Ah, so sad, sorry to hear it.  

Sometimes that happens when moving a tank.  Not sure what the cause is, there can be so many.  One that comes to mind... Allot of people recommend tossing the sand when moving an existing setup.  It gets old and nasty, and the move gets it stirred up.

I would hesitate on cooking all the rock if this was an existing system and you are trying to save coral.  If you are starting over though it's a great idea.

If you want to ask someone in your area to coral babysit you may save quite a bit of stuff.  @stylaster and @Saltwater newbie saved allot of my coral when I had a big die off.

Good luck!

Oh my bad, I miscommunicated, I'm not cooking the rock, I'm cooking the sand. The rock, I'm gonna let that sit at around 80 degrees and let the rot happen. 

If I could legitimitely save some acros and others I would be really happy! 

BTW - Chewie posted this bit of advice regarding brown jelly in another thread so thought it might be useful/helpful here...

Lugols works very well on brown jelly disease. It's old school but it rarely fails me. Coral Rx Works great too but I have had much success with 40drops per gallon lugols dips on Gonis and Euphyllia. I'd say 75% success on bad infections.  

49 minutes ago, albertareef said:

BTW - Chewie posted this bit of advice regarding brown jelly in another thread so thought it might be useful/helpful here...

Lugols works very well on brown jelly disease. It's old school but it rarely fails me. Coral Rx Works great too but I have had much success with 40drops per gallon lugols dips on Gonis and Euphyllia. I'd say 75% success on bad infections.  

Oh! Lugols is iodine. I was planning to do dip myself.

I will buy some laboratory grade potassium iodide crystals and iodine crystals and produce some 5% solution myself (how lugols is made). I have amazon prime so hopefully it will arrive in a day or two. It does seem there are some montiporas that are only slightly infected, but there are also some in horrible condition. Most have outright melted. 

Well on the bright side I'll have extra iodine solution if anybody needs it!

I'n not going to get my hopes up, however, as I don't want them to be dashed. For now I'll order the crystals, concentrate on saving what I can, cure the live rock, and bake the sand so I will be able to start back up in a couple weeks ot a month at most.