WP Power converter issues.

fishmanmike01

I'm trying to understand what's going on with my WP pump converters. I've gone through 4 of these in just as many weeks. Pumps run at constant speed. My problem is I find them pulsing and if I replace the converter if seems to fix if for a short time only to find them pulsing once again. Anyone experience this before? Is the problem the pump itself? 

11 hours ago, fishmanmike01 said:

Here's a pic of the converters on im referring to. 

IMG_3816.JPG

I have gone through a few over the years too on the return pumps.  Frustrating.  I found a place that has them cheap on amazon and ordered up a few spares.  

https://www.amazon.com/Minger-Supply-Adapter-Transformer-Flexible/dp/B01AJQ9G2C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490279258&sr=8-3&keywords=24V+6A+Power

This is one of the weaknesses of DC pumps IMO...

reefbreeders sells the OEM ones too.  Where did you pickup your replacements?

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

I have gone through a few over the years too on the return pumps.  Frustrating.  I found a place that has them cheap on amazon and ordered up a few spares.  

https://www.amazon.com/Minger-Supply-Adapter-Transformer-Flexible/dp/B01AJQ9G2C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490279258&sr=8-3&keywords=24V+6A+Power

This is one of the weaknesses of DC pumps IMO...

reefbreeders sells the OEM ones too.  Where did you pickup your replacements?

Thanks for the heads up Jeremy. I had extras from other pumps. Just curious if others have had the same issues. I was starting to think it was the pump causing the failures but it's looking like it is the modules. 

Cool keep us posted.  

I am running 4 of the various dc 12000s around here now.  Great pumps...  

Had another thought.  Your mounting is slick, very nice.  One thing to consider... heat can be a factor with power supplies.  If you can get a spacer behind them that will give em a little more room to dissipate heat.

These power converters are just converting AC to 24v DC.  If you have a multimeter, check if the output is still 24V DC.  It's pretty rare that the power converter would go bad unless they are underrated for the device they are powering.  For example if the max output is 3A at 24V (72W) and the pump draws 90W, then over time the power converter will get burn out.

The controller and pump are a different story.

2 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

These power converters are just converting AC to 24v DC.  If you have a multimeter, check if the output is still 24V DC.  It's pretty rare that the power converter would go bad unless they are underrated for the device they are powering.  For example if the max output is 3A at 24V (72W) and the pump draws 90W, then over time the power converter will get burn out.

The controller and pump are a different story.

Indeed. Tried the new pumps on the old converters and low and behold they work. Pumps all along.