suggestions on equipment needed to have some sps?

city hunter

I've been tossing around the idea of doing some sps. My main problem is I travel 6 months oiut of the year and have my brother take care of the tank while I'm gone.

Right now I keep it real simple, a skimmer, 250wx2 mh and now vho 03 and 454 sup.

I'm curious whats out there iun the digital market for monitoring the big parameters for sps like alk calcium etc.. I've also been contemplating dosing pumps over a reactor, as it seems easier to dial in. It may just be a bad idea, but I would like to have a few easier to keep monti's, maybe a pink birds nest. Tell me I should just stick to softies lol.

I've been tossing around the idea of doing some sps. My main problem is I travel 6 months oiut of the year and have my brother take care of the tank while I'm gone.

Right now I keep it real simple, a skimmer, 250wx2 mh and now vho 03 and 454 sup.

I'm curious whats out there iun the digital market for monitoring the big parameters for sps like alk calcium etc.. I've also been contemplating dosing pumps over a reactor, as it seems easier to dial in. It may just be a bad idea, but I would like to have a few easier to keep monti's, maybe a pink birds nest. Tell me I should just stick to softies lol.

There is a new alkalinity controller on the market that can control a doser or reactor. It costs a cool G to get your hands on it though. I don't think there are a lot of owners yet, so reviews are sparse. There are a few threads on the bigger forums a month or so ago so I imagine there's even more now. Might be worth checking out if your [emoji383] [emoji383] [emoji383] [emoji383] pile is deep enough.
  • Like 1

I think dosing would be more difficult than a reactor, I find myself constantly messing with things, making new solution, checking lines to make sure they aren't plugged.

Never ran a calcium reactor though, once they are setup they sound much easier.

Sent from the bottom of the sea.

Some sps is very touchy and hard to keep. Other sps is much more forgiving. Try the easy to care for species and use a lot of automation.

Get your brother to test for alkalinity and calcium weekly and send you the results.  You will need to have some procedures pre-defined for your brother to make adjustments and others for an emergency aquarium doctor to visit and fix things if/when something goes wrong.

38 minutes ago, markvo said:

Some sps is very touchy and hard to keep. Other sps is much more forgiving. Try the easy to care for species and use a lot of automation.

Get your brother to test for alkalinity and calcium weekly and send you the results.  You will need to have some procedures pre-defined for your brother to make adjustments and others for an emergency aquarium doctor to visit and fix things if/when something goes wrong.

THanks for the reply. I found a pretty good list of easy to keeps on reef central. I may give some a try.

8 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

There is a new alkalinity controller on the market that can control a doser or reactor. It costs a cool G to get your hands on it though. I don't think there are a lot of owners yet, so reviews are sparse. There are a few threads on the bigger forums a month or so ago so I imagine there's even more now. Might be worth checking out if your emoji383.pngemoji383.pngemoji383.pngemoji383.png pile is deep enough.

do you remember what the controller is called?