Need help deciding on skimmer!

Willapa

I've been looking at skimmers for a while for an approx 90 gal tank and have narrowed it down to a SRO 2000 INT or a Skimz 163 DC. Both are in the same price range. The SRO doesn't have a controllable pump and don't know how beneficial this really is. I've heard great feedback from the SRO pumps as far as durability but online reviews of the Skimz are good as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both good skimmers, tough choice.  

I will speak from my experience here for what it's worth...

I am a die hard SRO fan as of lately.

The SRO XP3000 is an amazing skimmer.  I run the xp3000 and a 5000 int at the same time on my system.  

Honestly the XP3000 int skims as much as the 5000, it's a nice design.

I think someone has an xp3000 for sale here if you could fit it in your sump, used.  I bought mine used and saved a bundle.  Been running it for several years with 0 issues.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Both good skimmers, tough choice.  
I will speak from my experience here for what it's worth...
I am a die hard SRO fan as of lately.
The SRO XP3000 is an amazing skimmer.  I run the xp3000 and a 5000 int at the same time on my system.  
Honestly the XP3000 int skims as much as the 5000, it's a nice design.
I think someone has an xp3000 for sale here if you could fit it in your sump, used.  I bought mine used and saved a bundle.  Been running it for several years with 0 issues.
Good luck!!

Man, that's a lot of skimming! How big is your tank? Yea, the SRO sounds like a tried and true alternative. I may be able to fit a 3000 and vaguely remember seeing one on here. I'll have to search the forum a bit.

How much value is there in speed control of a DC motor in a skimmer? The energy savings is tiny and I'm not concerned with the noise level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive always liked DC skimmers myself but if I had to choose between those two I'd go with the SRO. 

Only things I use the adjustability for are fine tuning and on the rarer occasion I use a medication like chemi clean. With a DC pump I can turn the speed down to the lowest so I'm not skimming out anything but still oxygenating the water while treatment goes on. I also like that DC ramps up slowly and typically alleviates the need for a delay when restarting your system from a shutdown. Typically they are a little quieter also but the BBs are going to be close.

The bubble blaster pump will likely run longer than the DC that skims uses (im pretty sure they are just Jebao pumps). Plus long term you could always retrofit a DC pump on the SRO, you won't have any other options with the skimz.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Only things I use the adjustability for are fine tuning and on the rarer occasion I use a medication like chemi clean. With a DC pump I can turn the speed down to the lowest so I'm not skimming out anything but still oxygenating the water while treatment goes on. 

I hadn't thought about this before but this is a really useful selling point for a DC pump.  I would love to not have to completely shut the skimmer off if/when I introduce something (e.g. epoxy) into the tank that would normally cause it to overflow or skim too wet.  Hmm.