ATO......how do you do yours

The ReefBox

1 hour ago, Brian67 said:

I just hooked mine up straight to unit no more buckets or barrels  will flush the membrane weekly

I'd like to make thing simple or it's "cry me a river" when it comes to cleaning time.  Pond, you can get away with being lazy, not for aquarium.  It only take few months or sometimes few weeks to clean all equipments and containers.  I made a huge mistake when I started out with barrels on 4ft shelfs :drool:.   Water change and cleaning are the pain in the but$ of this hobby.  But I'd call it a success if one day, I could get away without water change, it's WIP.  

Good luck and grow some bad a$$ acros :-)

Edited by caolewis

• 5 weeks later...

This is my DIY float switch setup. Cost was about $30 for the gear. The most expensive part was the magnets @ $9. A little DC pump in a 5 gallon bucket that I fill with RO/DI about once a week. If we go out of town for more than a week I connect the RO/DI up to a float valve in the 5 gallon bucket. The lower switch controls the level and the upper switch is the safety. It is usually out of the water so it's less likely to foul. I check it every so often to make sure it's free.
a5cfb12886ca7bc497939b8681a02993.jpg

• Like 3

A problem I have with my ato is the size of my container and the point where water enters sump.

After I fill the ato container, and it goes off the first time, a slow siphon starts and a couple hours later my skimmer is overflowing. I don't think installing a check valve would help since the water is siphoning down not flowing back up.

Sent from the bottom of the sea.

A problem I have with my ato is the size of my container and the point where water enters sump.

After I fill the ato container, and it goes off the first time, a slow siphon starts and a couple hours later my skimmer is overflowing. I don't think installing a check valve would help since the water is siphoning down not flowing back up.

Sent from the bottom of the sea.

Just make sure the tube end is above the top of your ato tank. I had the same problem. You can also install a siphon break which is just a check valve installed at the top of tube that closes when water is being pumped under pressure and opens when flow stops breaking the siphon.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...