Angry Cespitularia

sschering

I was hoping if anyone has some ideas why my Cespitularia has been upset with the world the the last week. 

It used to open up and extend well but over the last week it's been all shrunk up with it's fists clenched in rage all the time.

Water is good. PH 8.2 , Amonia &Nitrite 0, Nitrate  5, alk 8 Calcium 380

l4D7BESh.jpg

I moved it to my wife's tank yesterday thinking one of its neighbors may be annoying it but it's been balled up all day.

If it was something in  the water you would think the Xenia would be upset too but it's pulsing away like always.

dhX5zOgh.jpg

Edited by sschering

Right now it's at 79.8.. I cant get it to run any cooler.. I may add a fan.

My wife thinks maybe the Sexy shrimp were picking on it They were always on the thing. Since it's removal something has trimmed all the fingers off one half of one the zoa polyps. Wife says she saw the sexys on it this afternoon.  I wonder if I can train them to eat aptasia.

I only spot feed the coral with rotifers once a week and a few pellets for the goby every few days.  The tank isn't getting much food.

Edited by sschering

Hmm, trimmed fingers, that's a good clue.

I wish I could nail down the reasons when my coral have issues.  I have poor luck trying to figure it out, it can be frustrating.  

Best advice someone shared with me.  Answer the following question:

'What changed in the last couple of weeks'.  

Best-o-luck

• Like 2

What changed. less food.. Nitrates were going up so I cut back.

I blasted some rotifers at the shrimp tonight.. See how they like that. I could raid my wife's mysis supply if they are still hungry.

Edited by sschering

• 2 weeks later...

Update: after moving it to my wife's tank it's shrunk to about half it's old size but is starting to regrow it's fingers again. 

it's also sprouting new growth all around the main trunk so I think there is hope it can recover.

Best I can tell the shrimp ate off all it's fingers and left it unable to feed.

Edited by sschering

2 hours ago, sschering said:

Update: after moving it to my wife's tank it's shrunk to about half it's old size but is starting to regrow it's fingers again. 

it's also sprouting new growth all around the main trunk so I think there is hope it can recover.

Best I can tell the shrimp ate off all it's fingers and left it unable to feed.

Thanks for the update. Yeah a friend I think It was Grassi about "no claws in the tank" I don't even keep hermits in mine even though they are cute. I won't ever get another emerald after one went rogue on me. I would rather deal with occasional bubble algae.

• 1 month later...

1 month update..  The cespitularia is doing great in my wife's tank.

The sexy's continued their rampage pissing off everything, almost killed a head on my hammer, eat the frills off the zoas and nibbled the birds nest to death.

I had enough. I couldn't catch the little monsters so I hired an assassin. I got a bicolor dottyback. It took him about 2 weeks I now have no Sexy shrimp.

Everything else is thriving now..