Please halp iam so lost

Talon

I finally got my tax return and know I need to upgrade my light but anythang over 350 dollers seems a bit extreme I am still new to reefing and right now I have a 40 breeder with a 50/50 bulb from petco so yes I know I need to upgrade I want a led light with a timer in the fixer and there's so many options out there I want to eventually get a bigger tank too so iam trying to find something that will work for now and I will be able to move to a bigger tank when the time comes I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot so to speak any ideas and advice would help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

And i think I have to get enough spread for a 40 breeder and every Thang I have found says I need two like I said very new to reefing but so glad some one told me about pmwmas it has been a huge help

• Like 1

Ocean revives. Two channel control, and built in timer. I've Used them for the last two years over my frag tanks and they do well. I've got one over my 40b right now and it covers well. Two would be better though and they are about $180 each.

Very good entry level LED lights. I just bought a Radion xr15 gen 4 and wow! Huge difference but for the price tag it should be. I will always recommend the Ocean Revives to newer reefers. Not too much investment while you are still feeling out the hobby and they have grown Corals wonderfully for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Talon said:

Dove u think thay will light to all corners of my 40 thay look so small

Badxgillen has a frag tank that is close to 40b size and he uses one Reefi. He gets good coverage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paratore said:

Ocean revives. Two channel control, and built in timer. I've Used them for the last two years over my frag tanks and they do well. I've got one over my 40b right now and it covers well. Two would be better though and they are about $180 each.

Very good entry level LED lights. I just bought a Radion xr15 gen 4 and wow! Huge difference but for the price tag it should be. I will always recommend the Ocean Revives to newer reefers. Not too much investment while you are still feeling out the hobby and they have grown Corals wonderfully for me :)

This is a great value option as well.  These have been around a long time and are proven.

Hydras and Reefis are also great lights, but you cannot go wrong with an Ocean Revive T-247B for 180.

• Like 1

This is a great value option as well.  These have been around a long time and are proven.
Hydras and Reefis are also great lights, but you cannot go wrong with an Ocean Revive T-247B for 180.

Exactly, we all gotta start somewhere. I used ORs for a while before upgrading. When I was just getting into it, the price tag of a higher end light was pretty scary. But now that I'm a little more experienced the cost is worth every penny. The ORs are a good light for sometime to get their feet wet :) otherwise definitely go with one of the other lights listed, you and your corals won't regret it haha.

10 hours ago, Paratore said:

I have two of the ocean revives over a 40 breeder. I think they are turned down to about 50%. I had one for a long time before I bought another one. One will work just fine for a long time if not for good. 

You our also don't want your tank over saturated with light. If you are going to have anything other than sticks you will want a few shaded areas here and there. Even some sticks don't want full blown light. 

Edited by fishboys
Because I wanted to
  • Like 2

I run many different lights on my tanks at home and I run a few different lights on the accounts tanks I care for as customers so I have a pretty good idea of how different lights perform. While all these fixtures are sufficient for growing corals and having good colors the coverage and customability are not on the same level, neither are the warranties. The tank I have the Reefi in my house is over a tank much larger than a 40 breeder, If you did go with the OR you may want different optics and/or raise it up a little higher to get a little more coverage. If you go with the Reefi just  adjust the built in optic lens and you are good to go, and you can probably have a good chat with Daniel about anything else you may want to know. Radions are nice and have great custom lighting control but come with the heftiest price tag and the same warranty the OR has.

My vote is with a Reefi...Been ramping up the UVs in my Reefis to see some sweet color variations but can't do that with my ORs.

armageddon zoas.jpg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

I run many different lights on my tanks at home and I run a few different lights on the accounts tanks I care for as customers so I have a pretty good idea of how different lights perform. While all these fixtures are sufficient for growing corals and having good colors the coverage and customability are not on the same level, neither are the warranties. The tank I have the Reefi in my house is over a tank much larger than a 40 breeder, If you did go with the OR you may want different optics and/or raise it up a little higher to get a little more coverage. If you go with the Reefi just  adjust the built in optic lens and you are good to go, and you can probably have a good chat with Daniel about anything else you may want to know. Radions are nice and have great custom lighting control but come with the heftiest price tag and the same warranty the OR has.

My vote is with a Reefi...Been ramping up the UVs in my Reefis to see some sweet color variations but can't do that with my ORs.

armageddon zoas.jpg

I put allot of faith in Roberts opinion, remember he is the guy who grew this!

DSCF2183.JPG

• Like 3

I totally agree with Robert. He has been growing coral for longer than I've been alive I'm pretty sure! He knows what he is talking about and I've always valued his opinion. So if he says Reefi then reefi is a great choice! I still need to try a reefi for myself...

Well sheesh, thanks for the kind words my friends, the point was that I was trying to drive home was that all of them work very well but I feel the Reefi has a few extras bells and whistles without shelling out too much extra bread...I love analogies.

And Cody, even though I have a Reefi that is bomb I know for a fact that those Radion Xr15 are good lights so you are golden my friend. And just for the record my main tank is still running ORs and AI Sols so no disrespect there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Well sheesh, thanks for the kind words my friends, the point was that I was trying to drive home was that all of them work very well but I feel the Reefi has a few extras bells and whistles without shelling out too much extra bread...I love analogies.

And Cody, even though I have a Reefi that is bomb I know for a fact that those Radion Xr15 are good lights so you are golden my friend. And just for the record my main tank is still running ORs and AI Sols so no disrespect there.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

The Radion is super nice other than I'm not a fan of the user interface. It's annoying how you need to either purchase the reeflink or have to plug it into you computer to change the settings. The user interface and wifi is one thing I really like about reefi and AI products.