Is my Skkye Lite 18 OK for SPS?

Trailermann

My Skkye Light -Clamp 18 watt give enough light for healthy SPS in my 30 gallon tank?  I would only place the corals under the light since the light spread definitely would not cover the whole tank.

These are the specs:

• LED Watts: 6 x 3 Watt
  • Color: 3 x 10K and 3 x 456nm
  • Current: 600mA
  • Single Light Cycle
  • Mounting Bracket: Fits on NUVO Aquariums Fusion Nano 10 & 20

I think the issue you'll run into is not keeping it alive but keeping any sort of color it's supposed to have. Growth will likely be slow as well. A 30 gal is a pretty small tank, there are lots of budget minded solutions for lighting it if that's what's holding you back from replacing the lighting.

• Like 1

Definitely doable. I've grown a few under the stock nuvo lighting but they really didn't "thrive" under that light. I'd try an AI prime or something with more color options. As mentioned it wouldn't hurt to try some easy SPS for the heck of it. Keeping Alkalinity stable in a 30g tank is going to be your issue if you want to keep SPS in there. 

• Like 1

If you're running 6 leds at 600ma, the most you are going to see is 3Vx0.6A, 1.8W per led, or around 10W for the whole fixture. Short answer is no, that light is not enough to grow healthy SPS in a 30 gallon.

I would suggest an eBay blackbox D120 or an Ocean Revive for that tank if you want to keep SPS and you don't want to break the bank.

• Like 1